Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

On3 turbo woe's

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

A borg s366 can be had for less than 700 a piece...... they are an oem quality turbo, run at full power at pressure ratios higher than 90% here will run day in and day out.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 pages and we still don't know why the turbo actually failed. There is plenty of speculation, but no hard facts. Just because the other turbo is fine doesn't mean there is an issue with the failed turbo's feed or return line.

Pull it apart and see what happened, then and only then will we know where the blame lies.

Keep in mind, a number of the users in this forum are squeezing more than double the factory output out of engines designed to go in "mom's" tahoe or "dad's" work truck. Things are going to break, parts are going to fail, it is a fact of life, all you can do is figure out what caused the failure then develop a solution to ensure it won't happen again.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this OP. Hopefully you get it figured out and let us know what happened.

Last edited by StangTamer; 01-17-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Let's keep it a little more realistic here, you are comparing apples to oranges. Red below

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
Ok im a few hundred dollars off but not by much.

i talking about the top of the line profession turbos.
heres one just for an example right off ebay that comparable size to an On3 T76 that he would get if he wanted a top dollar turbo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-76...d59bbb&vxp=mtr

No comparison. You are comparing a Billet Ball Bearing turbo with a warranty that has a 75mm turbine wheel to a Cast, Journal Bearing turbo with a 65mm turbine wheel

1500 is the middle turbos. he seems to have rediculous high standards like my father in law so im just putting the big new shiny turbo out there. he bought a cheap turbo and was disappointed, so heres a nice big expensive well known name branded precision turbo that everyone know about and has used. You want big company customer service, you pay big company turbo prices.

heres another for a turbonetics thats around the 1500 price range thats again in the 76mm range
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbonetics-...fe6f30&vxp=mtr

Again, a Billet Ball Bearing turbo with a 75mm turbine wheel to a cast, journal bearing turbo with a 65mm turbine

Hell, the new Compturbo turbos are in the $2500-3000 range for their oiless turbos, if that aint a tough pill to swallow.

We are direct with them, they certainly are not that pricey

then it goes down hill from there. heres some helpful suggestions since he dosent want to go cheap on his next turbos, if he finds them used then obviously he can get it cheaper. hes made up his mind so no need to keep pressing him to keep buying ON3. he isnt going to and that his business.

Actually it goes uphill from there, as a better comparison of turbo's would be a direct replacement Turbonetics TC76, which has a cast compressor wheel, journal bearing center, however it does use a higher flowing 68mm turbine wheel. These come with a 1-year hassle-free warranty backed by terrific customer service at $723

id suggest that he investigate the current problem so that everything is kosher in his current build so that he doesnt have any issues with his next turbo if there happen to be an unforseen obstrutions to the turbo from somewhere other then the turbo. Dont want the same thing happening to a 3x expensive turbo. Make sure its just the turbo that causing the problem and not not a piece of welding slag that got sucked up into the turbo and is bedded into the housing but is causing enough obstruction to catch the wheel or somthing like that. you have to fully diagnosis the problem.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue Status
2 pages and we still don't know why the turbo actually failed. There is plenty of speculation, but no hard facts. Just because the other turbo is fine doesn't mean there is an issue with the failed turbo's feed or return line.

Pull it apart and see what happened, then and only then will we know where the blame lies.

Keep in mind, a number of the users in this forum are squeezing more than double the factory output out of engines designed to go in "mom's" tahoe or "dad's" work truck. Things are going to break, parts are going to fail, it is a fact of life, all you can do is figure out what caused the failure then develop a solution to ensure it won't happen again.
yes my solution is not buy cheap turbos again. As I have checked the feed and drain from the stuck unit.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Launching!

^ X2 Superman

You cannot compare the old copied technology of the T76/65mm exhuast to a 7675 or BB 7675. Of course they are more expensive, but they are not in the same class. Plus good used turbos can be had at a good price as well.

If/when I buy a china turbo(a properly sized one), and it does go out on me(hope not), I wont be suprised, like it should have lasted a super long time. it is what it is. you can buy 2 china's for the price of one good one, waht do you expect? the same performance/technology/longivity?

BTW if On3 wont do anything pull that turbo apart and see what happened? maybe it wasnt quite balanced correctly?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Launching!

yea I am not at all upset I knew what I was getting into when I bought one. But some on here think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, just wanted to put a video showing what can happen. I don't expect or want to be reimbursed by on3.

next will probably be a couple borg warners, or maybe a big single.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

I'm curious why the turbo failed. My buddy redrocket has over 1k miles of beating on his with zero issues. his has a -4 feed with a restrictor and a -10 drain
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

I do have rebuilds on the shelf, if you ask real nice, I still am willing to just send you one. I do not recall what we discussed in the past but if you treated me rude or talked down to me in any way, I dont take that. I expect to be talked to in a respectful manner regardless what the situation is. If Im not, I am not willing to work with a customer at all. I too deserve respect but Im ready to just move forward Things happen and its just insane how much can be done with an understand customer.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by typhoon1015
^ X2 Superman

You cannot compare the old copied technology of the T76/65mm exhuast to a 7675 or BB 7675. Of course they are more expensive, but they are not in the same class. Plus good used turbos can be had at a good price as well.

If/when I buy a china turbo(a properly sized one), and it does go out on me(hope not), I wont be suprised, like it should have lasted a super long time. it is what it is. you can buy 2 china's for the price of one good one, waht do you expect? the same performance/technology/longivity?

BTW if On3 wont do anything pull that turbo apart and see what happened? maybe it wasnt quite balanced correctly?
You are wrong as far as me not doing anything

As for the balancing and just pulling it apart to look, there is nothing you can visually do to just look at balancing. There are tools associated with checking a shaft to make sure its balanced
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by On 3 Performance
I do have rebuilds on the shelf, if you ask real nice, I still am willing to just send you one. I do not recall what we discussed in the past but if you treated me rude or talked down to me in any way, I dont take that. I expect to be talked to in a respectful manner regardless what the situation is. If Im not, I am not willing to work with a customer at all. I too deserve respect but Im ready to just move forward Things happen and its just insane how much can be done with an understand customer.
I was really close to ordering a turbo off you in coming march, glad I read this

Who do you think you are, not sending customers parts they paid for because of your vague recollection of the fact that they may(or may not) have disrespected you??? GTFO with that

Another quality sponsor
Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i wish i could like is
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha Like as well!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to say it, but this is the reason I went Procharger. It sure is tempting when a turbo costs 1/4 of what a procharger does, but it's an empty feeling when **** hits the fan and you're out of warranty only after a month.

To the original poster, hopefully you can get things squared away with ON3. To ON3, I'd be pissed to if I ordered something and never got it. But that seems to be the case with turbo companies.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

+! on that!! ive worked in automotive shops where the customer swears up and down that we did something to their car like when we did an oil change and then we try and diagnosis the problem we find a leaking oil pressure sensor and once i say this, the wife of the customers asks "didnt you just change that out?" .... of course before the revelation im being screamed at and threaten then comes to find out he's the idiot.

Im a firm believer in treat others politly and fair and that the customer isnt ALWAYS right. There has been a few times that ive refused service to customers because they have become touble some and a negitive atmosphere in the shop. NOw i dont know the history between ya'll and dont care to know, none my buisness, i dont know the circumstances of this buisness transation but if ON3 is willing to fix the problem id let them. and little humitity goes a long way.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Ask real nice, yea I will be jumping all over that. Once you opened your mouth and started talking down to me after I purchased 2 turbos and 2 gates you couldn't even gather the gumption to send me flanges for the vband.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
I was really close to ordering a turbo off you in coming march, glad I read this

Who do you think you are, not sending customers parts they paid for because of your vague recollection of the fact that they may(or may not) have disrespected you??? GTFO with that

Another quality sponsor
What are you even talking about? You are just twisting a story to cause a problem. I would not just hold a part because someone screamed on the phone, but thats how you sure make it sound
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I hate to say it, but this is the reason I went Procharger. It sure is tempting when a turbo costs 1/4 of what a procharger does, but it's an empty feeling when **** hits the fan and you're out of warranty only after a month.

To the original poster, hopefully you can get things squared away with ON3. To ON3, I'd be pissed to if I ordered something and never got it. But that seems to be the case with turbo companies.
I too would be pissed if I ordered something and didnt get it. You have all different turbo options if you do not like the warranty. We can get you any turbocharger out there really and you would have whatever warranty they supply.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

that is not at all the case with good turbo companies my experiences with other turbo fab shops has been excellent. And I wouldn't hesitate to build a dd turbo kit with a bw or garrett based turbo. Like I said before this kit was a means to an end to learn how to fabricate, but I did think the turbo would last longer than this.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ren987
Ask real nice, yea I will be jumping all over that. Once you opened your mouth and started talking down to me after I purchased 2 turbos and 2 gates you couldn't even gather the gumption to send me flanges for the vband.
Clearly I was joking around and you have zero sense of humor..... If I didnt ship flanges, I must of been out of stock at the moment. You are making this out like I just told you too bad, did you talk to me or Mike. I honestly talk to way too many people to know everyone on a first name basis and this just isnt something IM going to do.

Quick Reply: On3 turbo woe's