Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN

All this talk of thermocouples and unicorns dicks is all bullshit you shouldn't have to deal with when you buy a product that works..
Best post of the thread!!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gtistile
Truthfully in a track scenario an air cooled heat exchanger actually HURTS performance. I'm really not all too concerned with street IATs as this is just a weekend cruiser and weekend strip car. When it's on the track it's getting fed strait ice water at all times, so it's actually the most effective setup I can run in that regard.
i agree and re reading my post it is a bit ambiguous...

another way to say it is it that it looks like you have everything properly setup with the exception of the manifold heat exchanger itself

definitely considering what you paid for the thing it should "just work" as others have said but i'm interested to see what you find if/when you do get more data.

sounds like alot of setups using this intercooler have problems but then there are some that work so what's different between the two?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

No offense, but something good came out of this thread sofar. I was literally within days/weeks of pulling the trigger on this set up for my streetcar. Its a pretty big purchase and looks the part, but after seeing this thread and your thoroughness of testing, i WONT be buying this set up in anyway shape or form. I feel bad its not working for you, and truly wanted to believe its something on your end. But that aint lookn like the case here...id even be afraid to buy the SHEARER fab unit as it closesly ressembles this one in design...i dunno, i ll be watching carefully, doing more reading, and hopefully await the day you find it was something stupid simple the whole time...lol good luck with it tho

Since jan 5th, i first set my mind on gettn this set up...sure glad i held out as i do have the money....
Attached Thumbnails 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler:  The Data-screenshot_20170105-163057.png   417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler:  The Data-screenshot_20170318-092627.png  

Last edited by rkupon1; 03-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

On another thought, a thread with 9,000+ views so quickly, you d think someone from 417 motorsports would chime in and offer up some ideas, suggestions, and/or a rebuttle. Some one should copy the link and forward it to them in an email.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
On another thought, a thread with 9,000+ views so quickly, you d think someone from 417 motorsports would chime in and offer up some ideas, suggestions, and/or a rebuttle. Some one should copy the link and forward it to them in an email.
There was a pretty lengthy discussion on Facebook. Essentially they have decided that until I have pre-cooler readings, my data and testing is irrelevant. I have shown a test or data for everything that has been asked with multiple sensors to this point. Now that I've done that, they realize I don't have pre-cooler data, so now that seems to be the sticking point. From their standpoint there is no further discussions until I do even more testing beyond what I have done over the last several months at their reccomendation. Just spend more time and $ on it.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On that note. I will be wiring in a pre-cooler sensor in to my upper manifold this week. Do you guys have suggestions on what sensor to use? I already have a known, good, GM sensor but want to make sure that will read high enough so to not leave anything to question. I appreciate the input fellas
Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe by than, after all your testing, they can buy your time. Seems like you may have done more actual testing thus far than they have. Only time will tell. I forsee a revised unit in thier future if your set up is correct by thier standards. I wonder if the bigger "2000hp" core performs better due to its size? As usual good luck, i ve seen people fight thru problems and come out on top. Trying to be optimistic
Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe by than, after all your testing, they can buy your time. Seems like you may have done more actual testing thus far than they have. Only time will tell. I forsee a revised unit in thier future if your set up is correct by thier standards. I wonder if the bigger "2000hp" core performs better due to its size? As usual good luck, i ve seen people fight thru problems and come out on top. Trying to be optimistic
I hear that man, I definitely appreciate your insight. I will get to the bottom of it. I've already come too far to leave any leaf unturned I suppose. Whether this somehow turns out to be an issue on my end, or not, I will absolutely be giving honest info out either way when I get it sorted.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a pretty lengthy discussion on Facebook. Essentially they have decided that until I have pre-cooler readings, my data and testing is irrelevant...
It's not so much that it's irrelevant. It's just not completely relevant until the pre-intercooler temp is known.

The fact that it's melting the ice at the rate it does, indicates there's considerable heat transfer taking place. Which indicates the intercooler is doing it's job. Before and after temps will indicate how well it's doing it's job.

It could be, that your pre temps are outrageously high. Then you know where to start looking for a solution. Or there might not be the temp drop we'd hoped for and the myth is confirmed.

The cost of another sensor is minimal compared to completely redoing the intercooler set up, just to find out the problem was elsewhere all along.

I'm very curious to see the outcome and crunch the numbers. FWIW, I'd personally like to see the turbo inlet temp too, as well as pre intercooler pressures. With those, along with the other data discussed so far, I can calc out pretty much everything and tell you exactly where your inefficiencies are in the system.

I don't have any input on the sensor, but that's a good thought if temps are potentially 300+.

Last edited by SethU; 03-18-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

On that note. I will be wiring in a pre-cooler sensor in to my upper manifold this week. Do you guys have suggestions on what sensor to use? I already have a known, good, GM sensor but want to make sure that will read high enough so to not leave anything to question. I appreciate the input fellas
IMO a thermocouple is going to be the only sensible sensor to use.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

. But that aint lookn like the case here...id even be afraid to buy the SHEARER fab unit as it closesly ressembles this one in design...i dunno,.
There was a thread a while back somewhere I was reading someone did a similar test with a 7 sec. car and the results were even better than expected. I cant locate it though. Visually the Shearer looks to be considerably thicker.

Would be a real **** kicker for the OP to do a back to back while simply swapping out for the Shearer.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by coltboostin
There was a thread a while back somewhere I was reading someone did a similar test with a 7 sec. car and the results were even better than expected. I cant locate it though. Visually the Shearer looks to be considerably thicker.

Would be a real **** kicker for the OP to do a back to back while simply swapping out for the Shearer.
That would be great news if so...im gunna start researching it aswell. If i wanna run ac in my car, A2W set up like these are my only option. These 1st gen novas get tite quick with turbo set ups

Lol, i ll buy the one that works if he does back to back testing. I wonder how much work itd be to "swap" ic s? If i end up goin with one like the shearer unit, id prolly consider letting him. But now im alil gunshy about a2w altogether. I remember they did well for our fully built lightnings. And those blowers generate some serious heat pre IC
Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at a couple of these for checking some pre and post IC and pre and post carb on my non-intercooled blow through setup. Price isn't bad and 0-5v is easy to log via HPT/EFILive or in my dyno software.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Air-Intak...7346002214.htm
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
IMO a thermocouple is going to be the only sensible sensor to use.
Originally Posted by kbracing96
I'm looking at a couple of these for checking some pre and post IC and pre and post carb on my non-intercooled blow through setup. Price isn't bad and 0-5v is easy to log via HPT/EFILive or in my dyno software.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Air-Intak...7346002214.htm
So let me get this straight you need $200 in thermocouples, a water flow meter, a $500 high flow water pump, an ice tank, $300 water manifolds, -16 lines and fittings and swap out 20lbs of ice every pass all for a $1500 intercooler to possibly work as well as a $300 front mount?

Seems like ditching the intercooler altogether and running a $500 meth kit would be a smoking deal at this point!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

^^^Good ol HINDSIGHT! Problem is, he s already very invested in this set up thru initial costs and build. He owes it to himself and his pocket to spend alil more, go alil further, and hopefully know for sure. Like i said, hindsight. Bcuz of this thread n testing, i certainly saved almost 3k cash. Of that im quite sure
His pain=our gain unfortunately. Bcuz next guy will read this n prolly do exactly as you suggested! Its kinda lose lose
Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
So let me get this straight you need $200 in thermocouples, a water flow meter, a $500 high flow water pump, an ice tank, $300 water manifolds, -16 lines and fittings and swap out 20lbs of ice every pass all for a $1500 intercooler to possibly work as well as a $300 front mount?

Seems like ditching the intercooler altogether and running a $500 meth kit would be a smoking deal at this point!
No....he had already said he was done testing, and TBH I agree. At this point it's pretty damn clear it does not work.

BUT....if he did want to test further, there are no thermister type sensors that will give an accurate reading pre-cooler of charge temps given the possible range of temperatures.

Although an Innovate TC-4 as was mentioned before and 4 thermocouples would give a lot of info for a relatively sensible cost.

The PLX Devices is a waste of money as their unit only allows one thermocouple per amplifier so would be very very pricey.

But it is pointless throwing that money at it. That money will not fix the problem, and would go a long way to fixing it via a different cooler unit.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Sunk costs LOL

Andrew
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

^^^Good ol HINDSIGHT! Problem is, he s already very invested in this set up thru initial costs and build. He owes it to himself and his pocket to spend alil more, go alil further, and hopefully know for sure. Like i said, hindsight. Bcuz of this thread n testing, i certainly saved almost 3k cash. Of that im quite sure
His pain=our gain unfortunately. Bcuz next guy will read this n prolly do exactly as you suggested! Its kinda lose lose
There comes a certain point where you have to cut your losses.

Corvette Kenne Bell comes to mind.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Sunk costs LOL

Andrew
Perxactly.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It realy sucks having to buy anything twice never mind a part u are into for 3000.oo

Quick Reply: 417 Motorsports 1500hp Hi-Ram Intercooler: The Data