Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Projected horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 237 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Remove the problem plugs. Then get a map gas torch and a crowbar. Go to town on the area that needs more clearance. A ¼ gap all around is all that’s needed. Heat sleeves and wrap work great, but you still need a 1/4“ gap at minimum IMO. If the boot touchs the manifold, they will burn up. I’d assume tight 90’s pointing down are what you will need. That does look like a tricky manifold though!. You can also use a metal coat hangar fixed to the wire to ensure it goes where you need it and stays there.

Wouldn’t be able to tell anything from his tune files. It’s the mechanical timing between where the engine actually is VS where the ECU thinks it is. Would need a piston stop to find TDC. Mark the balancer. Then use an adjustable timing light to see where the time actually VS what the ECU is commanding. I’ve had motors be as much as 12* off. So when the ECU is commanding say 15* its actually at 3*. But since you are using the OEM ECU, thats likely not your issue. I’d try clearance first.
ok I'll definitely do that, i appreciate the advice man. Once i get it towed back home ill get some updated pictures on what I do. They are tricky but underneath is actually pretty clear
Old 10-24-2023, 12:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Billet ICT makes coil brackets that are nice and neat. As well as a universal long wire kit. Id suggest mounting coils down by the frame rails and routing wires under. Also if its only 2 wires the cheap old school LT1 wire sets at the autoparts stores have some long leads. I've used those several times. Good luck! Don't give up! lol
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Billet ICT makes coil brackets that are nice and neat. As well as a universal long wire kit. Id suggest mounting coils down by the frame rails and routing wires under. Also if its only 2 wires the cheap old school LT1 wire sets at the autoparts stores have some long leads. I've used those several times. Good luck! Don't give up! lol
according to him he tried the lt1 wires, he said he used those but changed the boot. I definitely won't give up, I'm just not to happy about paying 3 grand for a truck I have to tow home
Project GatTagO (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
I can't open these files but Maybe you can, this is suppose to be the tune files. Man I went back and forth all morning and he swears its the manifolds, he said its only happening on number 7&4 and that if it had half an inch more that it would of probably been ok. He says the flanges are welded to close to the 90s. Everyone I've talked to tell me differently but I'm now stuck with a Truck I have to tow home and a 3000 dollar bill
The manifold looks to be very tight. You might be well off to remote mount the passenger side coils and run the wires down below the pipes.

The fact that both the drivers and passenger side are causing problems is a little suspicious. Is the plug clearance tight on the driver's side?

If the driver's side use a stock exhaust manifold, then the plugs wires should have plenty of clearance.

I can't view the tune, but I'm really curious what the timing was during the pulls.

Andrew
Old 10-24-2023, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 526 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
ok I'll definitely do that, i appreciate the advice man. Once i get it towed back home ill get some updated pictures on what I do. They are tricky but underneath is actually pretty clear
This is all part of the process bud.
When I did my first turbo build I spent the next year finding all the little issues that come with it, pipe fitment problems, burnt wires, blown fuses, insufficient alternators, insufficient fans, etc.
Just keep chipping away at it and soon you'll have a fun, dependable turbo truck that you can enjoy.
C5_Pete (10-26-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The manifold looks to be very tight. You might be well off to remote mount the passenger side coils and run the wires down below the pipes.

The fact that both the drivers and passenger side are causing problems is a little suspicious. Is the plug clearance tight on the driver's side?

If the driver's side use a stock exhaust manifold, then the plugs wires should have plenty of clearance.

I can't view the tune, but I'm really curious what the timing was during the pulls.

Andrew

Drivers side design
Old 10-24-2023, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

I tried posting the other file that he sent me but It wouldn't allow me to post in. Send me your email and I'll send them to you projectgat
Old 10-25-2023, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 339 Posts

The tune is not technically done "the right" way, but I do not see anything too bad in the log. Nothing in the tune should be causing overly hot exhaust issues.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
The tune is not technically done "the right" way, but I do not see anything too bad in the log. Nothing in the tune should be causing overly hot exhaust issues.
oh wow, so then whats your opinion on the cause and whats incorrect on the tune?
Old 10-26-2023, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 339 Posts

I did not go through the whole tune, but it is obviously a work in progress. There are minor things, such as the stoich ratios being slightly off for gas and ethanol, and the open loop PE ratio tables not exactly matching, among other issues that I would consider very minor. The one thing that stands out is that all your high load fueling is obviously coming from the MAF, as the VE table is certainly not correct in the boost areas. Your tuner may have been planning to correct this once the plug and wire situation was fixed, or he may have planned to leave it. As it is not a finished tune, I can't fault that. If it was a finished tune it would be a waste to have a 2bar sd operating system and MAP without properly using it. As for the burned plug wires, My first guess would be touching the headers and my next guess would be too close given the limited amount of airflow you normally get on a dyno. If it is really cracking the actual plugs, I have never seen that.
Old 10-26-2023, 05:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gametech
I did not go through the whole tune, but it is obviously a work in progress. There are minor things, such as the stoich ratios being slightly off for gas and ethanol, and the open loop PE ratio tables not exactly matching, among other issues that I would consider very minor. The one thing that stands out is that all your high load fueling is obviously coming from the MAF, as the VE table is certainly not correct in the boost areas. Your tuner may have been planning to correct this once the plug and wire situation was fixed, or he may have planned to leave it. As it is not a finished tune, I can't fault that. If it was a finished tune it would be a waste to have a 2bar sd operating system and MAP without properly using it. As for the burned plug wires, My first guess would be touching the headers and my next guess would be too close given the limited amount of airflow you normally get on a dyno. If it is really cracking the actual plugs, I have never seen that.
ok, I appreciate you taking the time to look, I asked him was the tune finished and he said its pretty solid where it's at. That he would like to have another look at it when it's fixed but the tune is pretty close go where it would be if it were finished. I'm going pick it up today so I'll find out soon myself
Old 10-26-2023, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts

Modding vehicles is always a work in progress. Keep at it and thanks for continually updating this thread.

Best of success to you!
The following 3 users liked this post by C5_Pete:
Project GatTagO (10-26-2023), The BallSS (10-26-2023), Woodylyf767 (11-11-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by C5_Pete
Modding vehicles is always a work in progress. Keep at it and thanks for continually updating this thread.

Best of success to you!
100 percent, I've always had modified cars since high school and never experienced a tuner/builder that couldnt make something work tho. Im going pull it home tonight and ill post some pictures of the plugs & wires and my progress moving forward as i fix if
Woodylyf767 (11-11-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

Old 10-27-2023, 05:16 AM
TECH Resident

So I picked the truck up last night and when I did he took me outside and started the truck and show me this. He said number 4 is building lots of heat because the runners on the manifold are all touching and the heat is creating basically like a pocket of heat as it rises towards the plug and #7 its just very close to underneath the plug, that one I can heat up and bend and get it off of it but as far as running the wires under the manifold that's the possible on this passenger side as you see there's no where for the wire to go. He gave me a stock manifold and told me get one made and then bring it back to finish the tune. He said it is tuned on speed density and the maf is not being used but only for the temperature sensor. N then I definitely have to bring it back because the o2 sensors are turned off right now because it's going crazy on the dyno with what's happening.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks to me like #7 just need a 135° and a sleeve #4 maybe a bit of clearancing and sleeve . All wires should get sleeves , and primaries should be wrapped right to the flange.
The following 2 users liked this post by GMCGreg:
jmilz28 (02-06-2024), The BallSS (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMCGreg
Looks to me like #7 just need a 135° and a sleeve #4 maybe a bit of clearancing and sleeve . All wires should get sleeves , and primaries should be wrapped right to the flange.
135 on #7 puts it pretty close to the face of the flange and then it starts burning the wires from the inside. I may just try to knock a small dent right there and put a ceramic boot on that wire. #4 is a difference story, the whole design on that side is ****
Old 10-27-2023, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 397 Posts

probably way too late to matter but trick turbo sells a real nice cast manifold.
why are you running a e39? did you put a 6l80 in it or something?
Old 10-27-2023, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
probably way too late to matter but trick turbo sells a real nice cast manifold.
why are you running a e39? did you put a 6l80 in it or something?
I'm open to changing the manifolds but i would want something that has the turbo in the same location so I don't have to move everything. No, I have a 4l65, maybe I saying it wrong but I thought he said e39
Old 10-27-2023, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 535 Likes on 397 Posts

opened your tune. its a p01 not an e39.
if you change manifolds you will almost certainly need to tweak the rest of the piping some.

Quick Reply: Projected horsepower