Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger being loud???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procharger being loud???

I am interested in installing a procharger D1-SC supercharger on my 01 SS camaro, Buy i dont like the loud gear whine that comes from them.

This is why i wanted to know if anyone out there has installed a Novi 2000 on a LS1 F-body, or if someone was interested in fabing up mounting brackets to do this.

I called Procharger yesterday and asked them if there was a way to make the D1SC quite - Less noisey, The guy said yes , with gear Pitch and Lash adjustments,

I wanted to know if anyone has ordered there Procharger to be a quiet unit?
and if so , how do they like it?

I was thinking of adding one once of Lucus syntethic oil to the procharger oil during oil changes to quiet down the gear whine.

Thank you for your replys
Old 11-24-2005, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a D1 , and I've heard a Novi . The Novi is MUCH louder than Procharger ,IMO
Old 11-24-2005, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

what about a vortech??? they have ones you can barley hear
Old 11-24-2005, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

SDCE claims their spring tensioner setup quietens the D1SC significantly!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Is the gear pitch and lash adjustment something that can only be done at Pro-charger? Or is it something that can be adjusted on the car? Where can we get more info on this.

I've also called pro-charger,....and they tell me there isn't anything you can do to quiet it down.

Also, you said "I was thinking of adding one once of Lucus syntethic oil to the procharger oil during oil changes to quiet down the gear whine".....is that something that is OK for the Pro-charger unit, and will it really help?

I've heard about the SDCE set-up.....but I've heard that it will reduce the Rattling noise of the,...and not the whine. This kind of makes sense to me....since the blower gears is where the whine is coming from....and your not changing that out with the SDCE set-up.

I have the pro-charger on my car,...and am interested in ways of quieting down the whine as well. So any additional info would be appreciated.

Last edited by 2000FormulaMan; 11-25-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000FormulaMan
Is the gear pitch and lash adjustment something that can only be done at Pro-charger? Or is it something that can be adjusted on the car? Where can we get more info on this.

I've also called pro-charger,....and they tell me there isn't anything you can do to quiet it down.

Also, you said "I was thinking of adding one once of Lucus syntethic oil to the procharger oil during oil changes to quiet down the gear whine".....is that something that is OK for the Pro-charger unit, and will it really help?

I've heard about the SDCE set-up.....but I've heard that it will reduce the Rattling noise of the,...and not the whine. This kind of makes sense to me....since the blower gears is where the whine is coming from....and your not changing that out with the SDCE set-up.

I have the pro-charger on my car,...and am interested in ways of quieting down the whine as well. So any additional info would be appreciated.
go with the vortech kit, my d1 was ear pearcing loud.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 AM
Restricted User

the Lucus addtive is my idea, and i think adding only a once or so will quiet up the gears somewhat, The lucus is made for better lubication for gears and this oil additve helps prevent gear wear by keeping oil on the gears. this might cause a better cushing effect between the two drive gears inside the supercharger,
I dont mind a little whine , but some cars i heard with a p1ch or d1sc was very loud, This is not what i want.
i have FLP long lubes with there Y pipe running into my stock duel-duel SLP exhaust , so the car has a nice smooth sound to it .
A loud D1 would spoil it .
Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Restricted User

i have heard only one Paxton novi 2000 on a mustang cobra, and it sounded nice to me , no squeling gear sound like the procharger, but Yes you can still hear ari rushing , that sound is OK with me,

Who is SDCE, how much is there spring tensioner. I also heard that this quiets down the prochargers a bit
Old 11-25-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Prochargers are typically louder than a Vortech unit. Vortech has their SQ "Super Quiet" series which utilizes Helical cut gears instead of striaght cut spur gears. "All" superchargers have the whine, which cannot be avoided. Personally, I enjoy the sound of a Procharged car at idle, and of course at WOT!

In any event, I don't believe you can quiet down the Procharger much. Worst comes to worst, buy a Vortech unit.

This was discussed in a previous thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/405503-procharger-whine-anything-i-can-do-quiet-down-little.html

Andy
Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Restricted User

Yes but the SQ-vortech unit cant handle more thatn 9 PSI of boost and mayby up to 500HP on a LS1 , My Friend with heads and cam blow up his SQ into pieces.
I have a SS so i would have to cut up my hood, NOT HAPPENING
Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Restricted User

Is the SDCE tensioner for the stock belt or the procharger 8 rib belt or both,
Is this a expensive set up,
Who is SDCE,
Web sight?
thanks for helping
Old 11-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Prochargers are typically louder than a Vortech unit. Vortech has their SQ "Super Quiet" series which utilizes Helical cut gears instead of striaght cut spur gears. "All" superchargers have the whine, which cannot be avoided. Personally, I enjoy the sound of a Procharged car at idle, and of course at WOT!

In any event, I don't believe you can quiet down the Procharger much. Worst comes to worst, buy a Vortech unit.

This was discussed in a previous thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405503

Andy

Not totally true, the roots stlye are much quieter, not the screw style roots but the old school roots. No one has a clue I am running 12lbs of boost till I pop the hood. Totally dead silent at idle and up to 3-4k rpms. You have to listen really close and know its there to hear it at WOT.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I would like to here a sound clip of the D1SC on about 8 psi on stock ls1, can someone post it up? Thanks, some idle and revs if possible

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Restricted User

check out the CTSV cadi post that was put up a few days ago Superman09,
Its cool , a brand new Cadi with a D1-SC installed making 500HP to the wheels, at 10 PSI.
sound clip and video
enjoy
Old 11-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I had a D-1SC with a cog and that thing was so loud it could wake the dead. It rocked!!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
Yes but the SQ-vortech unit cant handle more thatn 9 PSI of boost and mayby up to 500HP on a LS1 , My Friend with heads and cam blow up his SQ into pieces.
I have a SS so i would have to cut up my hood, NOT HAPPENING

only 9spi huh??? i know a guy running 9-10 psi with the sq and he has no problems

VORTECH V-2 SQ (Super Quiet) SUPERCHARGER
The new generation supercharger included in most Vortech street supercharging systems
Helical cut gear profile with SQ technology
Near silent operation
Fits engines up to 680 horsepower
Maximum airflow: 1,000 CFM *
Maximum boost pressure: 20 PSI *
Maximum impeller speed: 50,000 RPM
Adiabatic efficiency: 72% **
Available with straight or curved discharge and clockwise or counterclockwise rotation
Click here for SQ S-Trim models
Old 11-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Restricted User

Yes when you install heads and a cam , u lose boost do to increased air flow , so now you have to spin the supercharger faster,
On the f-body it is a V2 SQ G trim, which is a small blower,
On the Vette it is a V2 SQ S trim, which is a much beter blower.

Besided i would have to cut up my SS hood, because the Vortech mounts high up ,
I am not cutting my hood.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Teching In

You guys are adding Lucas oil to your chargers?!? Thats ballsy, there are labels and warnings all over those things about not adding any oil whatsoever except what they recommend.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Restricted User

Why cant you add a little Lucus, it is gear oil and the syntheic is thiner than the regular lucus
Old 11-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Im not saying you cant, just that its ballsy considering ATI has warnings all over the charger about not to do that. Maybe they know something you dont? Id ask ATI about that deal before I tried it. Why dont you just buy one and have them do the lash adjustment? If the tech guy is right then there would be no need to add the Lucas.

Quick Reply: Procharger being loud???