Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what is a turbonetics MPS turbine wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is a turbonetics MPS turbine wheel?

I am asking because I just received what was supposed to be a std turbonetics T76MPS and was told the std unit has a 3" discharge which this one does not (I think it may have been a shipping mix up or least sure hope so), it has the 2.5" discharge and the comp cover looks identical to the TC76 pictures I saw. the turbine minor diameter is measuring right at 2.69" which tells me it is not a larger MPS wheel but rather a regular Q-trim.. is there any information on the MPS wheel so I can verify it is whats in this unit? If this is the STD T76MPS Unit, so far I just don't see the justification of the extra 500 bucks which is a hefty chunk of change.

I have a call into Jose to see if he can more clearly explain this but right now I am a bit dissappointed.. had it had the 3" comp cover outlet and the turbine wheel didn't appear to be a regular Q-trim wheel I would have been completely cool with this unit, but I just don't see it. Dr. Turbo or Jose if ya see this please chime in and explain it, maybe I am not seeing something in the turbine wheel? but the 2.5" discharge is DEFINATELY Wrong, was it an order/shipping mistake and are you sure you sent me the MPS wheeled unit????? gimme some specs so I can measure and let ya know what I have... I know you guys are super busy and can understand if ya missed it and no worries, engine still isn't ready yet but if this is what the std is I wanna trade in for the TC and save the money or put it towards the BB TC unit, as both would have the 2.5" discharge and the main reason for the upgrade was to maintain the 3" discharge we spoke about and keep the extra flow as compared to my older GTS from precision. Thanks guys!

Chris

Last edited by lcvette; 11-10-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 AM

My T76MPS has a 3" turbine side and a 4" cold side inlet.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
. . .keep the extra flow as compared to my older GTS from precision.
Is the new MP wheel supposed to flow as much as the GTS?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Mike,

No..it won't flow as much as the GTS wheel as thats a prety good sized turbine wheel. but it is supposed to outflow the Q. and its supposed to also be alot lighter but all the information I have found has been from Forced inductions, no specs out on it yet I guess. what about the F-trim what are the specs on it anyone? Forced fed definately has my business and they were great with communication, ordered it on friday 10/27 and it arrived exactly two weeks to the order date.. I am impressed with that and the time Jose took on the phone with me. not a matter of customer service at all, it was top notch. this is most likely just a hiccup which happens in all businesses. like I said as busy as they were maybe it got missed which I am not in a huge hurry just yet, motor won't be done until end of this coming week.

Countryboy,

yes the Vband connection is 3", and the inlet is 4" but the discharge for the compressor is supposed to be 3" on the regular T76 from what I was told which is why I think maybe Tnetics sent out the wrong unit to Forced Inductions.. the only reason I went ahead and bit the bullet on the regular T76 was the comp cover since all my cold side plumbing is 3" and I figured I would buy what I wanted since I was dipping into my 401K for it. otherwise I would have grabbed the much less expensive TC76MPS unit or done that oen in the ball bearing option which would have worked out about the same price.

Chris
Old 11-11-2006, 09:39 AM

Ah... my discharge is also 2.5" and I have the box and paperwork from T-netics.

The MPS will support the same power as the GTS and spool fatser per Jose at FI.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lcvette
what about the F-trim what are the specs on it anyone?
I think the F-trim is a T6-only wheel.

Mike
Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Launching!

hmmm.. and yours is the TC unit or the std T76 unit? and then what is the difference between the two? besides the money? if they both were built with the MPS wheel and both have 2.5" discharges and 4" inlets and 3" DP connection and same snails.. whats the difference? I just want to know because like I said if this one is the same I would have gone with the TC76mps with the ballbearing option..

Chris
Old 11-11-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Country Boy
The MPS will support the same power as the GTS and spool fatser per Jose at FI.
According to the FI website, the T76 Q, P, and MPS will all support the same hp as the GTS and I think everyone knows this isn't true.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TC is what most call a hybrid turbo. Its a 76 wheel with a 60-67mm Compressor housing. TTi has been running a similar setup since 2000, note, I said similar not exactly the same turbo...

Ryan K
Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
According to the FI website, the T76 Q, P, and MPS will all support the same hp as the GTS and I think everyone knows this isn't true.
T-netics does rate them at the same power output as the GTS, and we just advertise what they tell us. If you ahev spoken to Jose though he will tell you it will make close to the same power as the GTS with the MPS only, but it will spool quite a bit faster.

As for the compressor cover, all the T-netics covers outlet in 2.5", only thing I can think of is when you guys maybe spoke, if you mentioned discharge or outlet he was telling you the downpipe, which is 3". Also I can't tell you the specifics since they are strict about sharing info, but their is NO output difference between 2.5" and 3" outlet on the compressor side, so that is a wash. Jason did this testing several months back. Only thing negative is if you have to buy a reducer, which that cost a few bucks, or call us and I'm sure Jose will give you one for free if their was a misunderstanding.

Also here is a pic of the regular Q trim vs the MPS.

Also you can't see this since these are slightly damaged (hehe) the Q-trim is 2.682/3.09, and the MPS is 2.72/3.14. Also one thing folks forget is wheel height. The MPS is much taller then a Q, and is basically the same height as a GTS turbine wheel. Also its several grams lighter then the Q-trim and alot lighter then a GTS. Also a TC compressor cover and T-series cover are quite a bit different in size as well.
Attached Thumbnails what is a turbonetics MPS turbine wheel?-turbineqvsmps.jpg  

Last edited by DrTurbo; 11-11-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think the F-trim is a T6-only wheel.

Mike
Yes its T6 only for now , but Jose and Jason are working on it. Its a BAD turbine wheel
Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Jose gave me a ring earlier today and helped clear everything up... I stand educated..lol I was looking at the diameter and failed to measure the wheels depth and found that it is deeper then the Qtrim and that turbonetics does not offer a 3" outlet. just to let you guys know if ya have a 3" piping and go to tnetics unit be ready to grab yourself a 2.5-3" coupler.

the comp cover is larger and has more volume on the std T76 unit as well and is physically larger.

Jose told me he would be posting some comparison pictures of the MPS and the Q-trim wheel.. maybe he can also throw a GTS wheel in there so you can get an idea of what your looking at! thanks again Jose! just a show that you guys are on the ball and thanks for contacting me on your day off.. above and beyond.. keep an eye out for my PT74GTS for the upgrade to the 80mm comp wheel, can't wait to have a couple turbos to choose from in the stall!

Chris
Old 11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dr. Turbo, little off topic here, but how does an innovative R trim turbine spool in comparison to a GTS or a Q trim. It's supposed to flow pretty good, but i've thought about switching my T76 out for a different unit, or at least going to a .96 a/r to assist with my back pressure issues.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zombie
Dr. Turbo, little off topic here, but how does an innovative R trim turbine spool in comparison to a GTS or a Q trim. It's supposed to flow pretty good, but i've thought about switching my T76 out for a different unit, or at least going to a .96 a/r to assist with my back pressure issues.
Zombie, to be honest with you, Jose and Jason are the guys to ask about this. They are the brains behind the madness, I just have spec sheets and some info. I will copy and paste this to Jose's inbox.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

from everything I have read about the innovative R-trim, not alot of it was good but a majority of it was in dealing with these trim turbines on 3.0l supra engines.. perhaps they work better on larger cube motors but in my opinion, if a supra spools and flow nice with a head unit it will only be better on a V8 unless it is too small.

Chris
Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Yes its T6 only for now , but Jose and Jason are working on it. Its a BAD turbine wheel
Hmmm. . . this sounds interesting. . .

I'm stuck with the T76GTS .96 turbo due to the location and available space. I'm interested in whatever upgrades are available and stay in the same envelope. The 80mm upgrade looks good, but I heard that some people didn't gain anything with it. I also heard that Jose was experimenting with an impeller trim to reduce backpressure. Either way, if I could upgrade to an 80mm compressor and help exhaust flow, I'd do it with my 388 cid.

lcvette, I'll be interested to hear how the turbo's compare.

Also, I've had nothing but good luck working with forcedinductions.com. I know the guys are busy, but I always had satisfactory support.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Launching!

I second Forcedinductions support.. like I told Jose... I'm sold!

I will document both units and try and get some back to back dyno comparisons.. also gonna look at putting in a gauge for backpresure to see where I am at with both the units once all is rebuilt and back together!

Chris
Old 11-12-2006, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hmmm. . . this sounds interesting. . .

I'm stuck with the T76GTS .96 turbo due to the location and available space. I'm interested in whatever upgrades are available and stay in the same envelope. The 80mm upgrade looks good, but I heard that some people didn't gain anything with it. I also heard that Jose was experimenting with an impeller trim to reduce backpressure. Either way, if I could upgrade to an 80mm compressor and help exhaust flow, I'd do it with my 388 cid.

lcvette, I'll be interested to hear how the turbo's compare.

Also, I've had nothing but good luck working with forcedinductions.com. I know the guys are busy, but I always had satisfactory support.
Yeah the 80mm works on only certain setups. Most of the 80's we have sold have been on extreme setups like 400+ci's, and the backpressure is already so high that going with an 80mm wheel only helped by a few ponies. Now on a Supra we did, it did pick up 87rwhp at @30psi, which is a nice gain, but you know like Jose does the Pressure ratios on the supras are optimal, and hard to produce on the big V8's.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I am hoping to see how the 80mm wheel with a 50 shot will perform on a Big heads cammed 355 LT1 with a hydrarev kit.. I am going to try and see if she'll hold 24-25psi in small increments on 116 race gas and 8.34 SCR.. I don't think it is a good idea to stay at this level, but am excited to see how she feels for a few romps before I turn it back down to 14-15 pounds which is where I stay on pump gas and a conservative timing tune for longevity.

gettin pumped now!! also I am looking to grab a new wstegate also.. being I don't hold the turbo back to lower boost settings, do you think the smaller turbo smart gate will hold or would your recommend me going to the 48mm turbosmart?

thanks in advance!

Chris
Old 11-12-2006, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think your current gate will hold for now. Now once you go with a bigger unit and you start to try to crank it down, you may need to upgrade to the larger unit then.

Quick Reply: what is a turbonetics MPS turbine wheel?