Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS install pics... and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhh, yeh didn't really understand where you were going with the comment, I took it as good tho, most people who bash sts pm me or make a thread about it, lol.

good luck on the build and let me know how it goes, post up pics if ya want. it would be nice to see.

What meth kit are you going with? Julio at Alkycontrol is great. Also FROST up here knows a great deal about all that
Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

its funny that it's all forced induction,... but people love to think
the system they run is the ONLY one to run and it's superior
to all others...
if everyone had the same system it would stall the technology, so they should thank the others, for having to make constant inovative changes to stay on par. the general public are a silly bunch aint they?
my build wont be untill mid november, but all the parts for the build have been purchased,
now it's just a matter waiting to go on the lift.
the meth system i'll be running is "coolingmist" with some "fitting mods" done by the shop, which they have found, works better.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Great read! So how's she running now? How much of a change over stock?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OHSIXCTSV
its funny that it's all forced induction,... but people love to think
the system they run is the ONLY one to run and it's superior
to all others...
if everyone had the same system it would stall the technology, so they should thank the others, for having to make constant inovative changes to stay on par. the general public are a silly bunch aint they?
my build wont be untill mid november, but all the parts for the build have been purchased,
now it's just a matter waiting to go on the lift.
the meth system i'll be running is "coolingmist" with some "fitting mods" done by the shop, which they have found, works better.
Cool. Can't wait to hear about it. Yeh, all that stuff is funny man.

Originally Posted by sslateron
Great read! So how's she running now? How much of a change over stock?
lets just say it hauls ***!! lol. still doing some basic logging and tuning fine tweaking somethings. The car wants to buck back and forth at low/light throttle application so I'm working on that. and I'm messing with my AFR so that when I get on the dyno hopefully for the most part it will be there. Also playing with spark. But I love it and thats all that matters. Really happy with this cam Thanks Patrick G. !!!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Dam nice install like all the pics for us new to the turbo thing lol..
Old 12-16-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

CHRISTMAS UPGRADES:
-SCAVENGE PUMP
ok, the oil scavenge pump is not keeping up, as all have warned. Schantin did a nice write-up about restricting the oil, I will post the link.

I have gone out and bought the TurboWerx Exa-Pump. Yes it was expensive, but it has a 2 year warranty and is a really great pump, I bought it straight from Turbowerx here:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pump/Scavenge_Pump.html -shows both pumps, one exa pump and one cheaper pump that is good.

I do not know the flow rate in these lines, the exa pump can do up to 3GPM at 60+psi versus what I believe the STS pump to be 1.75GPM??

-FUEL RAIL
Ordered me an all black fuel rail so I can neaten everything up under the hood

-Boost Reference Line
I'm going to FINALLY run my boost reference line to the intake so that I see a full 7-lbs of boost.

Shortly after all of this I will probably have to invest in a new clutch&flywheel and etc... I can definitely tell my clutch is getting weaker
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM
10 Second Club

I installed the Mocal pump and restrictor ended my return problems. let me know how loud the Exa-pump is compared to stock.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mike13
I installed the Mocal pump and restrictor ended my return problems. let me know how loud the Exa-pump is compared to stock.
Will do. Just to try and help things, last night I took out the resistor and replaced it with just wire so the STS pump is on HIGH all the time. GOD is it LOUD when its COLD, after the motor & oil warms up though the pump gets quite a bit quieter, I've been weary of oil out the turbo for a while now so I was going to work just listening to the car, no music this morning

When I get around to installing the Exa-Pump I will post up pics as always and let you know how it went and if I even needed the restrictor.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Any updates?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Wow after reading all this - im gonna be busy .. and ordering the IC/and a bigger turbo right off the bat. i am hoping that scavenge pump will hold up that comes with it.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

hey guys, I was wondering about these turbo blankets / turbo wraps as I have wrapped my exhaust and I was wanting to put some kind of "wrap" or blanket around the turbo.

I saw on jegs the Thermo-Tec wrap , but I have also heard of turbo blankets...who has some expertise on this and some experience with different "wraps" for the turbo.

I have the T04E 60mm garrett turbo
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a roll of the Thermo-Tec wrap from a member to wrap my new ORY (it was cheaper than the DEI). To me, it is just glorified DEI wrap.
I looked into the blankets last year, most of them speak of "removing heat from the engine compartment" or some such, which we don't need to worry about. However, if you read this old thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-bad-idea.html one sponsor claims they use them with all their kits, and that they decrease spool time.
I think you need to let us know after you install and test one.
They also seem to vary greatly in price. I wonder if quality varies directly with price, since all we are concerned with is heat retention for decreasing spool time?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I purchased a roll of the Thermo-Tec wrap from a member to wrap my new ORY (it was cheaper than the DEI). To me, it is just glorified DEI wrap.
I looked into the blankets last year, most of them speak of "removing heat from the engine compartment" or some such, which we don't need to worry about. However, if you read this old thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-bad-idea.html one sponsor claims they use them with all their kits, and that they decrease spool time.
I think you need to let us know after you install and test one.
They also seem to vary greatly in price. I wonder if quality varies directly with price, since all we are concerned with is heat retention for decreasing spool time?
will do. The fuel rail is installed, the STS pump is still being ALWAYS run in HIGH mode, no oil problems at all, nor any black on my bumper

I will look into the turbo blankets, I have a friend that has a subaru that has experience with turbo blankets... I see what Zombie has to say about it too.

The biggest thing about fuel rails...man do they look nice, but **** do they complicate things. When taking off fuel could leak anywhere...and with them on I cannot get to my intake bolts... I mean it seems like they would make something a little easier...jeesh

messages sent, waiting info.

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 02-16-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

I used to run a turbo blanket on another car, it didn't hold up for long it started to come apart, I had the housings ceramic coated instead.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mike13
I used to run a turbo blanket on another car, it didn't hold up for long it started to come apart, I had the housings ceramic coated instead.
I wondered about that with a rear mount, since (to me) it seems it would be closer to the ground and more likely to be drenched with water? IDK. Summit did have a "turbo shield" that appeared to be open in front, ~$83 for a T4 turbo. Again, IDK how effective that would be.
Wrap a turbo blanket to keep it together? At the prices I saw, I would be pizzed if it came apart. Although there are some cheap ones on Fleabay, not sure that I would trust them.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
... the STS pump is still being ALWAYS run in HIGH mode, no oil problems at all, nor any black on my bumper...
This is without a restrictor? My MAF has started oiling, so I picked up a restrictor, but I still have the resistor in-line. Sounds like I need to remove it first and check prior to inserting the restrictor.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-solution.html
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
This is without a restrictor? My MAF has started oiling, so I picked up a restrictor, but I still have the resistor in-line. Sounds like I need to remove it first and check prior to inserting the restrictor.
I simply have the STS scavenge pump running in high mode, no restrictor.

I have seen no oil in my intake.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

well, as our turbos are under our rears, turbo blankets don't seem to make much sense as they won't take the abuse of rocks / debris on the road, have seen where peoples have come apart due to damage.

what Zombie mentioned and he has done is ceramic coated the entire housing, inside and out and it works for him
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
well, as our turbos are under our rears, turbo blankets don't seem to make much sense as they won't take the abuse of rocks / debris on the road, have seen where peoples have come apart due to damage.

what Zombie mentioned and he has done is ceramic coated the entire housing, inside and out and it works for him
Thats not really true I run a blanket on mine all the time rain and dust and its shows no damage.

Quick Reply: STS install pics... and stuff...