Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Walbro fuel pump owners BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Walbro fuel pump owners BEWARE!

I mentioned this to a few guys lately, and I thought I would make this post for anyone else looking for a 255 lph fuel pump and considering getting the standard Walbro unit.

A couple years ago China had somehow introduced chinese knockoff fuel pumps into the Walbro supply. They are identical down to the "Walbro" stamp on the pump, and can't be differentiated from the actual Walbro fuel pumps. These chinese knockoff Walbro units are consistantly known to go out in a relatively short period of time. I went through 3 of them myself hoping to get a real Walbro. One of them lasted as long as 8 months before it went on me.

Long story short here, you can't trust getting a Walbro unit anymore. I knew 7 other of my car buddies just in my local area that purchased them all from different places online from Texas, to New Jersey, to California, to Chicago and all of them had issues with them going out pre-maturely as well.

The good news is, that there are some 255 lph fuel pumps that are not mixed with these chinese knockoffs, and are reliable. Racetronix fuel pumps will not have these issues. (I am running one in my Formula right now). They are a little more than you can get a Walbro for, but trust me, it is worth the extra money knowing you are not going to be replacing the pump again in a short period of time. Not to mention the pain and suffering you'll go through if you are at WOT and your fuel pump fails or starts dying, and you go lean, and blow the motor!

I would love for this to become a sticky, but if it doesn't please tell others of this known issue.

http://dsmpurity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5995

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How in the world did it ever infiltrate Walbro's line? Something fishy about this all. Perhaps a deviant middleman or untruthful Ebay seller garbage?!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I mentioned this to a few guys lately, and I thought I would make this post for anyone else looking for a 255 lph fuel pump and considering getting the standard Walbro unit.

A couple years ago China had somehow introduced chinese knockoff fuel pumps into the Walbro supply. They are identical down to the "Walbro" stamp on the pump, and can't be differentiated from the actual Walbro fuel pumps. These chinese knockoff Walbro units are consistantly known to go out in a relatively short period of time. I went through 3 of them myself hoping to get a real Walbro. One of them lasted as long as 8 months before it went on me.

Long story short here, you can't trust getting a Walbro unit anymore. I knew 7 other of my car buddies just in my local area that purchased them all from different places online from Texas, to New Jersey, to California, to Chicago and all of them had issues with them going out pre-maturely as well.

The good news is, that there are some 255 lph fuel pumps that are not mixed with these chinese knockoffs, and are reliable. Racetronix fuel pumps will not have these issues. (I am running one in my Formula right now). They are a little more than you can get a Walbro for, but trust me, it is worth the extra money knowing you are not going to be replacing the pump again in a short period of time. Not to mention the pain and suffering you'll go through if you are at WOT and your fuel pump fails or starts dying, and you go lean, and blow the motor!

I would love for this to become a sticky, but if it doesn't please tell others of this known issue.

http://dsmpurity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5995

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html
We have yet to see a Chinese gearotor pump?
If you look at the inlet of the pump you will see they are all plastic rotor or vane pumps.
That being said you won't know what you are getting until you unpack your pump.
It is best go with a trusted vendor and a pump kit which is designed to be a direct replacement for the factory unit.

Turbo Buick

Delphi Vane

LS1 'F' Body

Delphi Vane

LS1 'Y' Body (C5)

Walbro Gerotor

LS1 Truck

Delphi Vane

GSS340(M)

Walbro Gerotor

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 AM
HNK
Staging Lane

What would be a direct intank fit for a C6Z06? 255 size. Would replacing the stock one with the 255 offer the extra fuel needed for a 700rwhp SC'd LS7?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Like I said, Racetronix pumps are reliable ones that have not been affected by these knockoffs out there.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HNK
What would be a direct intank fit for a C6Z06? 255 size. Would replacing the stock one with the 255 offer the extra fuel needed for a 700rwhp SC'd LS7?
No, a single W255 wont support 700 hp
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HNK
No your stock pump is very close to the volume something like 230lph. Single Walbro pump is only good to about 525-550 rwhp on boost. The next step for you would be a dual pump setup. Give me a call I can get you setup with a dual Lonnies/Racetronix fuel system.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

We also sell genuine Walbro and Racetronix fuel pumps.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HNK
Not enough, you'll have to break down and get a dual intake setup. Get ahold of Lonnie at Lonnies Performance and he'll get ya hooked up!!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I have Walbro's in two of my cars, but purchased both through Racetronix. I have had one for about 4 years and the other has been in a car only for about 4 weeks, but both have been trouble free.

Sounds like buyers just need to select a solid, known vendor and not some random Ebay fly by night outfit.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Interesting. I have Walbro's in two of my cars, but purchased both through Racetronix. I have had one for about 4 years and the other has been in a car only for about 4 weeks, but both have been trouble free.

Sounds like buyers just need to select a solid, known vendor and not some random Ebay fly by night outfit.
Yup!

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Its not just the ebay ones that go bad. I won't name the shops names on here, but 4 of the MAJOR vendors on this site alone have sold some of these faulty pumps. They can't tell they are getting the bad ones either until they probably have enough returns on them. If you think you are only at risk when you buy from a "risky" seller on ebay, think again.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

bought mine from summit. about 3000 miles now and i have to replace it tomorrow. it'll hold pressure for about 25 min of driving then it will lose all pressure.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CRAP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBR...Q5fAccessories

This has me worried now!!! I just bought this pump thinking walbro is a good brand for my truck. So far it is working but not having a speed senor to allow the 4l60e to shift into third I have only had maybe a few miles on it of just test runs.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had one go out as soon as we installed it I drove it maybe 15 miles and it took a **** !
Old 07-25-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by str8-6
bought mine from summit. about 3000 miles now and i have to replace it tomorrow. it'll hold pressure for about 25 min of driving then it will lose all pressure.
See. This is exactly what I am trying to say. Summit (probably one of the largest companies that sells performance parts) has them also.

It's not just small companies or ebay companies, they can be purchased from the big names we all know and use regularly.

I have heard of a couple people mention specific places that they claim for sure do not have any faulty units.

If it were me (because it has been in the past), I would just stick to the only source I know for a fact to be reliable. Racetronix pumps.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I only sell Racetronix kits for a reason.

Quick Reply: Walbro fuel pump owners BEWARE!