Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.23's to 3.42's

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3.23's to 3.42's

So I bought a set of low mileage 3.42's out of an M6 car to replace the stock 3.23's that are in my A4 car now. I only bought them because they were really cheap and was going to swap them out whenever I got around to it. Well that was a couple years ago, and now I figure it would be a good winter project along with my new tranny install. I'm planning to go with a 9 inch sometime in the near future but until then, I figure the 3.42's will help get me into the power band of my cam a little faster. I know the difference won't be that noticeable, but hey every little bit counts...right?

Anyway, I don't want to spend very much at all with this gear swap, and since my car has only 45k, I was thinking about reusing all the bearings and such? All I really want to do is swap the ring and pinion from the 3.23's to the 3.42's. I want to do this with the bare minimum and don't want to have to buy the $100+ install kits that are out there.

Am I asking for trouble? Or will this cause me a bunch of issues after it's done? I have never tackled the internals of a rearend before, so this will be a new journey for me.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

dude just buy the install kit.. its 100 dollars..
Old 08-24-2010, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

I don't think $100 is worth putting into a rearend that will be replaced in a year or so. The whole point is being economical, and basically giving me something to do while the car sits in the garage for the winter.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't touch anything, sell those gears and buy something else. You can't reuse the bearings and seals and the gain will be virtually unnoticed. Save for the 9"
Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP do you realize what your doing? Your taking apart a perfect factory set up gearset, and swapping in one that is 10% shorter of a gear. Totally not worth it. Not by any stretch of means... even if you get a whole install kit for FREE its not even worth the time to do it.

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 08-24-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having done this, I can offer you no worthwhile upside. Track
times were unchanged, traction only got slightly worse and
sliding friction is sliding friction, torque is just blown off. A
modest improvement in "pep" when tires are not spinning
costs you highway mileage and higher RPM.

If you want to get into the powerband, you should look to
the converter (and shiftpoint tuning).

I only did mine because I was swapping the chunk anyway,
so took the "opportunity" (not having the benefit of other
peoples' experience).
Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

"Am I asking for trouble? Or will this cause me a bunch of issues after it's done? I have never tackled the internals of a rearend before, so this will be a new journey for me."

your torque increase to the rear wheels would only be 6%,be similar to cool weather increase.
you would need speedo reset in computer.
save your journey for a worthwhile gear change such as 3.73 or 4.10.
you could find some questionable bearings once you take it apart and then need a rebuild kit anyway.
my vote is DON'T DO IT !
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't agree on putting in a looser converter to put you in the powerband over installing numerically higher gears. He just needs to go shorter, like FirstYr said 3.73 or 4.10.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Tires and converter are the best bang for the buck for A4s. This gear swap is not worth it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I don't agree on putting in a looser converter to put you in the powerband over installing numerically higher gears. He just needs to go shorter, like FirstYr said 3.73 or 4.10.
converter will make 100X more difference than gears any day.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That seems the general consensus around here, but from my experience most guys have way too much converter for the car. The car may feel faster but would be just as fast with a little tighter of a TC and a shorter gear, and you don't have to worry about building up so much heat in the trans like you do with such a loose converter. But what works for some doesn't work for all.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
OP do you realize what your doing? Your taking apart a perfect factory set up gearset, and swapping in one that is 10% shorter of a gear. Totally not worth it. Not by any stretch of means... even if you get a whole install kit for FREE its not even worth the time to do it.
Ok...I realize that the gain will be minimal. I know that. I don't want to go with 3.73's or anything numerically higher, because I want the car to stay highway friendly.

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Having done this, I can offer you no worthwhile upside. Track
times were unchanged, traction only got slightly worse and
sliding friction is sliding friction, torque is just blown off. A
modest improvement in "pep" when tires are not spinning
costs you highway mileage and higher RPM.

If you want to get into the powerband, you should look to
the converter (and shiftpoint tuning).

I only did mine because I was swapping the chunk anyway,
so took the "opportunity" (not having the benefit of other
peoples' experience).
Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
your torque increase to the rear wheels would only be 6%,be similar to cool weather increase.
you would need speedo reset in computer.
save your journey for a worthwhile gear change such as 3.73 or 4.10.
you could find some questionable bearings once you take it apart and then need a rebuild kit anyway.
my vote is DON'T DO IT !
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Tires and converter are the best bang for the buck for A4s. This gear swap is not worth it.
Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
converter will make 100X more difference than gears any day.
I already have a Yank 3600 SS coverter and Nitto DR's. Tuning for the gear swap is easy and will take a minute or two with HP Tuners.

The current gear set is fine and has no issues at all. I seriously doubt that I will find any damaged bearings. I know that there will be a couple seals that I have to replace, but thats cheap.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

All I'm looking to do is a quick, easy and cheap gear swap without spending much money. I'm not worried about the hassle, because I like wrenching on the car when it sits in the garage all winter. Modding it and making it better (no matter how slight) is just as much fun to me as driving it. Every mod my car has, was done by me and not a shop (with exception of the tune). so I'm not worried about the "hassle".

I going to purchase a 9 inch next year when I build my new motor. This was just a plan to just give a little more down low without sacrificing too much RPM on the highway. Even when I get my 9 inch I won't go above a 3.50 gear ratio.

I do appreciate everyones input though!