Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

hawks custom 82-02 8.8 vs quick performance fab 9"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hawks custom 82-02 8.8 vs quick performance fab 9"

exactly what the title says. I'm picking up a 9 inch and the price is nearly the same overall. what do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That 9" is going to be stronger, but parasitic losses will be a little higher too. How much are you paying?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not going for max effort so I could care less about parasitic loss, hawks will come painted, that's nice, other than that the only difference is the torque are mounts, I have read that quick performances has some design issues that led to premature failure of torque arm mounts. hawks boasts 1000hp, the guy at qp said my setup for 2300 would be reliable in a 650hp car, which I will be at no more than 500hp so that's fine with me...also I have not reached out the hawks but I am set on a 3.90 gear ratio which qp offers
Old 01-30-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

What exactly are you getting for $2300? Do you have a link?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.not-a-sponsor.com
this for base price plus sway bar mounts weldes. 31 spline axles

www.not-a-sponsor.com
this with eaton truetrac 31 spline.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.not-a-sponsor.com
this is hawks, with duralok posi for just about same price. Hawks has some nice pictures haha. But obviously pictures of a pretty rear end dont matter if my 2300 gets me a noisy or broken rear.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

At the end of the day you have to look at value. The fabricated nine inch is going to always maintain its value because of its versatility. You can start out with a base package and always grow the rear end based off of center section alone because things like our back braced housing and torque arm will take you a long way unlike a stock style mounting bracket. Not to mention if you have to sell it later on people jump on a fabricated housing and are willing to pay close to retail even though it is used.

Stamped nine inches, you will always have a torque arm that beats off the floor. You can not manufacture a nine inch that uses a stock style mounting torque arm to work in a F-Body with out moving the pinion towards the passenger side and the torque arm towards the drivers side. This is why you hear people complaining about the torque arm bracket putting dents or holes in their floor board even at stock ride height. It also moves the driveshaft closer to a driveshaft safety loop. Which if you have a 3.5 driveshaft you already realize how tight of a fit it is.

The 8.8 build, until someone manufacturers them with out butt welding the new axle tubes to the stock axle tubes or using multi welded tubes together you are always going to have a rear end that can be easily compromised. I do not even have to explain why butt welding an axle tube to another at the case is a bad idea and then covering it with more weld to hide the butt weld but when you add multiple welds on an axle tube it just gives more chances for one to spin. Not to mention heavily welding onto the nose of the housing where the pinion bearing goes is known to oval that hole. So unless they are going back and machining the hole true again you will have premature pinion bearing wear which is what I have heard from customers replacing the short lived 8.8 they bought first and then purchased one of our fabricated housing packages. There is more reasons why the 8.8 is a bad choice and a reason a big name parts manufacturer will never produce them for the F-Body. We looked into doing a 8.8 before we ever did a 9" for the F-Body back in '05 or '06 and I know it was discussed by another rear end manufacturer that they looked at casting them but to many flaws over the other choices they made.

A rear end that everyone keeps skipping over lately is the Strange S60, it will always be the best bang for the buck proven rear end on the market. You will not find flaws when it comes to the S60 design and it will take anything you throw at it. Not to mention priced well and has the warranty backing of a big name company that has been in business for years and will be in business for many more years. Plus vendors selling it with knowledge about the product itself.

That is one persons opinion that has had their ears and eyes in the F-Body world for a very long time and see and heard everything. We spend eight hours a day talking to people and get to hear real world facts and opinions and not just on our product but product they purchased else where.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

+1 on the MWC fab 9 and the Strange S60. If I didn't recently score a great deal on a torque arm and relocation crossmember along with lca's and relocation brackets, I would definitely be doing the fab 9. Hard to beat the value considering all you get plus it being lightweight. But considering all my recent suspension upgrades, I'll be doing the S60 instead
Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
+1 on the MWC fab 9 and the Strange S60. If I didn't recently score a great deal on a torque arm and relocation crossmember along with lca's and relocation brackets, I would definitely be doing the fab 9. Hard to beat the value considering all you get plus it being lightweight. But considering all my recent suspension upgrades, I'll be doing the S60 instead

Let us know when you are ready to order the S60 we can get you taken care of .
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Let us know when you are ready to order the S60 we can get you taken care of .
I sure will! Thanks
Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i sure wish i had 3k+ to drop on the rear end, i would go with the s60, but 2300 isalready a stretch haha. Too bad iv spent $400 two times on the junk 10 bolt, so it seems the 9" is the way to go. I like the fact that i can upgrade the 9inch. Didnt realize that. As far as torque arm clearance, i should expect to have fitment issues with the stock torque arm? Now this may be a silly question, but am i going to notice the driveability between the 9" compared to the 10 bolt? How does it affect the car in that way? Like i said i would be gong with the eaton trutrac most likely
Old 01-31-2018, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, sorry about the links, didnt realize youwernt supposed to post non sponser links
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is that Quicktime 9" for $2300 have a spool?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
Well i sure wish i had 3k+ to drop on the rear end, i would go with the s60, but 2300 isalready a stretch haha. Too bad iv spent $400 two times on the junk 10 bolt, so it seems the 9" is the way to go. I like the fact that i can upgrade the 9inch. Didnt realize that. As far as torque arm clearance, i should expect to have fitment issues with the stock torque arm? Now this may be a silly question, but am i going to notice the driveability between the 9" compared to the 10 bolt? How does it affect the car in that way? Like i said i would be gong with the eaton trutrac most likely
A bone stock torque arm and a stamped style nine inch? No there shouldn't be an issue but putting in a better rear end and leaving a stock torque arm in is just asking for the factory one to tear.

As for drive ability, with our fabricated nine inch no and only complaint I hear about stamped nine inches is the chunkiness of a bracket onto a bracket style mounting system. Our housing is the only housing that bolts back in how the factory 10-bolt comes out. No need for zipties and exhaust clamps to hold on things such as brake lines and e-brake brackets.

We do offer layaway for this exact reason, it helps people purchase the correct item the first time instead of wasting money on something cheaper.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after market torque arms are a very affordable ,and a very good insurance against a major drive train disaster.over build ,to allow for more power later on .
Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Quick performance 9" for 2300 is with eaton trutrac. Spool would be 200$ cheaper i think. And i do plan on upgrading the torque arm at a later date, im still at bolt on power so im not too worried. My 10 bolt is on its last leg so i wanna replace it with something i can grow with like what has been said. I will keep my options open, i am not rushing into anything as of now... anyone offer military discount? I do really like what was stated earlier about the resale value of the rear end. Anyone know about how much value it adds to the car? Im sure a camaro with a 9inch would go for a bit more than stock
Old 02-01-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bengtson95
Quick performance 9" for 2300 is with eaton trutrac. Spool would be 200$ cheaper i think. And i do plan on upgrading the torque arm at a later date, im still at bolt on power so im not too worried. My 10 bolt is on its last leg so i wanna replace it with something i can grow with like what has been said. I will keep my options open, i am not rushing into anything as of now... anyone offer military discount? I do really like what was stated earlier about the resale value of the rear end. Anyone know about how much value it adds to the car? Im sure a camaro with a 9inch would go for a bit more than stock
To be honest from what I've seen here locally, having a upgraded rear end doesn't really add any appreciable value to asking price of the car itself. You'd be better of selling the rear end itself if you wanted to recoup the max amount on that particular part. Not saying thats the be all end all truth, but it's what I've seen out here in general
Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't wish to hi-jack but I didn't see the point of starting a whole new thread when this topic was already being covered.

I am also in the market for a new rear axle and intend on pulling the trigger when I get my tax return.
Along with my savings, I have about $3,000 - $3,500 for a budget and am looking to build between 600 and 700 WHP on a 99 Z28 which will be force fed. Want to keep ABS, TCS, Disc Brakes (Duh). Looking to go with a rear ratio somewhere between 3.50's and 3.73's but haven't made up my mind yet on that. I don't know much about the spools and which one is ideal for which conditions but I don't want to sacrifice much ride quality, while its not my DD, it's also not strictly a track car either. I have heard Mosar's made alot of noise. I wasn't sure about the 9"... I have heard the 8.8" is mostly like stock and is the lightest of all variations but wasn't sure about reliability. The 9" I hear it suffers drivetrain loss.

Given my goals, 600 - 700 WHP occasional autocross / occasional strip / mostly show car behind a built 4L60E that is still intended to be streetable and as little noise as possible -- what kind of rear axle should I go for?

Also which POSI unit should I go with and why?
Same for the Pinion Yoke, The 8.8" offers a 1350 Yoke -- is that recommended?
The 9" - which spool should I go for?
Would the Strange Brakes do me any good with the increased weight of the 9"?

Actually I know this sounds kind of newbish but it would be kind of helpful if someone could give me a list of specs I should go for.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I don't wish to hi-jack but I didn't see the point of starting a whole new thread when this topic was already being covered.

I am also in the market for a new rear axle and intend on pulling the trigger when I get my tax return.
Along with my savings, I have about $3,000 - $3,500 for a budget and am looking to build between 600 and 700 WHP on a 99 Z28 which will be force fed. Want to keep ABS, TCS, Disc Brakes (Duh). Looking to go with a rear ratio somewhere between 3.50's and 3.73's but haven't made up my mind yet on that. I don't know much about the spools and which one is ideal for which conditions but I don't want to sacrifice much ride quality, while its not my DD, it's also not strictly a track car either. I have heard Mosar's made alot of noise. I wasn't sure about the 9"... I have heard the 8.8" is mostly like stock and is the lightest of all variations but wasn't sure about reliability. The the 9" but I hear that it suffers drivetrain loss.

Given my goals, occasional autocross / occasional strip / mostly show car behind a built 4L60E that is still intended to be streetable and as little noise as possible -- what kind of rear axle should I go for?

Also which POSI unit should I go with and why?
Same for the Pinion Yoke, The 8.8" offers a 1350 Yoke -- is that recommended?
The 9" - which spool should I go for?
Would the Strange Brakes do me any good with the increased weight of the 9"?

Actually I know this sounds kind of newbish but it would be kind of helpful if someone could give me a list of specs I should go for.
You auto guys have it really nice when it comes to this lol. A good 12 bolt or 8.8 would work just fine for you IMO. I'd call Strange and talk to them about your goals and ask about their 12 bolt. From what I hear it's one of the nicer ones out there
Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If youve got the dough, fabbed 9 is king. If youre working with a budget, especially auto cars, theres quite a few viable options. From the vendors, seems cast 9, 12 bolt, s60 are all gonna be "close" in price. Each have some small advantages and disadvantages, some have already been mentioned here. The one thing i like about the 9 inch rears is if you need a gear swap, you can do it on the bench and not under the car. Seems like a non-issue but ive done 3 gear installs on my car and regret not buying 9 inch just for that reason. At the end of the day, each of the above will probably handle just about anything an average enthusiast can throw at it.

Quick Reply: hawks custom 82-02 8.8 vs quick performance fab 9"