Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 = Blowed up = Bummer = Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
This is from Mosers website, and the only ones I sell do not use c clips. Bob
Curious why you don't sell the C-clip eliminator equipped axles. Like I said, I've heard mixed reviews on 'em. Maybe so have you?

I'd like to keep a GM rear in my GM car (at least a GM design). But I've seen just enough broken axles at the C-clip to not trust 'em too much. It happens.

I really like the ability to drop out the entire center section to change out the gearset if I wish. As you know, that means F*rd 9". The down side of the 9" is the parasitic losses. They're just not too efficient, plus they weigh more.

And on and on it goes. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at a way to maybe brace the TA mount sorta like a backbrace
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

car was auto, and only driven on street tires, for the first 4,000 miles or so, it worked great just whined to helll
Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Cam Can
Curious why you don't sell the C-clip eliminator equipped axles. Like I said, I've heard mixed reviews on 'em. Maybe so have you?

I'd like to keep a GM rear in my GM car (at least a GM design). But I've seen just enough broken axles at the C-clip to not trust 'em too much. It happens.

I really like the ability to drop out the entire center section to change out the gearset if I wish. As you know, that means F*rd 9". The down side of the 9" is the parasitic losses. They're just not too efficient, plus they weigh more.

I don't follow you, I said I don't sell rears that use c clips. Bob
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Teching In

I don't follow you, I said I don't sell rears that use c clips. Bob
I understand that. I was inferring that the reason that you don't sell them is because maybe you are aware of problems associated with them. No biggie.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Is your vehicle a 6spd car?

The 6spd cars have a HUGE issue with the 12bolt, we only reccomend 12bolts for autos...
that sucks... never heard that before...

geuss its only a matter of time before it happens again..
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

I understand that. I was inferring that the reason that you don't sell them is because maybe you are aware of problems associated with them. No biggie.
I don't know of anyone who would want c clips in a rear when you get get one without c clips. C Clips fail, and when they do the axle can come out unannounced. In fact, many tracks do not allow the use of axles with c clips in the faster classes. Bob
Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question about the C-clips... explain how the axle can come out of the rear end with the brakes still on? Caliper is attached to the backing plate which is bolted to the tube itself?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

why do you care...Im not a ford guy but hell, Id rather be use their designed refined by moser instead of replacing GM designed parts every 6 months. Plus, I havnt had the car on a dyno but the "seat of the pants" feeling is the same as it was with the 10 bolt. Still will bounce off the rev limiter with a 2nd gear punch
Old 01-05-2008, 07:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Question about the C-clips... explain how the axle can come out of the rear end with the brakes still on? Caliper is attached to the backing plate which is bolted to the tube itself?
How is the backing plate bolted to the axle? Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
why do you care...Im not a ford guy but hell, Id rather be use their designed refined by moser instead of replacing GM designed parts every 6 months. Plus, I havnt had the car on a dyno but the "seat of the pants" feeling is the same as it was with the 10 bolt. Still will bounce off the rev limiter with a 2nd gear punch
Very true, you are not going to feel the difference in parasitic losses. Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

even if axle breaks its not like a drum brake where the axle will slide right out. The caliper,rotor with retain it somewhat
Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Very true, you are not going to feel the difference in parasitic losses. Bob

at the strip the drastically reduced 60ft will far outweigh any MPH loss
Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
even if axle breaks its not like a drum brake where the axle will slide right out. The caliper,rotor with retain it somewhat
Those rear caliper mounts are hardly strong enough to not break during a high speed c-clip failure. Got remeber things are going to flopping around at very high speed. Nearly every time the axle is coming out.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

how bout a hybrid? strange has a dropout 12 bolt 3rd member for a 9"....meaning, it uses a gm 12 bolt carrier/ring & pinion, but setup in a custom strange 3rd member housing, allowing it to bolt into a 9" case
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Those rear caliper mounts are hardly strong enough to not break during a high speed c-clip failure. Got remeber things are going to flopping around at very high speed. Nearly every time the axle is coming out.
The rear caliper mounts are 3 - 4 times thicker than the moser bearing retainer plates moser supplies with drum set ups.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
The rear caliper mounts are 3 - 4 times thicker than the moser bearing retainer plates moser supplies with drum set ups.
true.
I just put drag brakes on a car and the bracket/retainer was like 1/8inch aluminum
Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jon5212
The caliper will pull apart at the slider pins?? I don't think the caliper will stop a c clip axle from coming out!!

Quick Reply: Moser 12 = Blowed up = Bummer = Pics