Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which options would you like to see in the new Camaro?
z28-300hp, SS 6.0 400 hp, ZL1 7.0 500 hp
27.95%
z28 6.0 400hp, SS 7.0 500 hp
57.16%
Any of above but z28 being top runer
11.34%
Don't offer a 7.0 500 hp Camaro let the GT 500 stay up front.
3.55%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
I don't even know why you brought PETA into this, that was stupid.

Hyrdra, the 1st gen Vipers with 400 horses weren't safe to begin with. I don't think they had airbags even
True, but very few cars that size and profile can meet safety standards with flying colors. It's that simple. I was kind of put out by the fact that the Z06 has so much aluminum and balsa wood making up its structure.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has Balsa wood? Seriously?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has Balsa wood? Seriously?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the floorboard is made up of laminated balsa wood. Don't land on any rocks!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the floorboard is made up of laminated balsa wood. Don't land on any rocks!
The floorboard is composed of carbon fiber with a balsa wood core. I dont know if the majority is balsa, but I know its a rigid floor.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wldesyWS6
if anyone thinks its a good idea to give the "BASE" corvette the LS7 then your out of ur damn minds. the average person can NOT handle them like they think they could. the only people that should buy them in that case would be people like all of us. My mom is in her fifties and is thinking about buying a corvette. There is no way im letting her roll around a 500 hp vette. I can see it now, she walks in one day and says "well i needed to pass someone, so i just punched it and somehow i ended up in the ditch ???" this hp war is getting WAY out of control and its only going to lead to trouble. that and congress coming in and monitoring production.

I posted something similar to this on another thread. Some agreed, some didnt. I just cant believe more people dont talk about it. Im only 18 and this is how i feel....What do you guys think??
I don't understand why the you are so worry about your mother driving a 500 hp car. The truth is that if she cannot drive a car so powerful for having whatever problem then she should not be driving at all. However if she wants to drive or buy one you should actually be glad:

1st that you mother has so much young energy and trusts so much on her ability to handle a big responsability like a very powerfull car (high self esteem).

2nd that she feels like she can still live life independently and have her own desires and dreams.

The Horse Power War that you are speaking of that will lead us to trouble is actually a overstatement. We have more powerful machines and more destructive sources in this country that could have affect our way of living however it has not in some cases it has made it better.

Remember the reason why we are the NO#1 country in the world is because we always shrive for Bigger and Better. THAT IS AMERICA. So while there is people investing in bigger engines and faster cars in the world ,that will always affect the Car Companies. I think that we are only seeing the beginning of some great years to come. We all want more power at a reasonable or lower price and that is becoming more available every day. If you think that because by cars having more HP more people will have accidents then I can tell you something that could apply to this; do you know the saying (guns don't kill people, people kill people) well it is your responsability to control and judge what you do with your car. PEOPLE REMEMBER IF YOU WANT TO RACE DO IT A YOUR LOCAL RACE TRACK!!!!

I hate it when people start posting crap like this. Not just looking outside of the box, but also telling everyone it's BS.

Someone else said this, the only reason there are 400 HP Vettes rolling around is because there is a market for them. Hell maybe you should write a letter to Lambo saying the LP640 isn't really a economically viable car, and that these HP wars need to end...

I ******* applaud Chevy for making an exotic powered car for only $45,000 so that the average joe can experience the thrill that only the rich used to be able to.

Widesy, if you're really concerned about congress stepping in, then buy yourself an Aveo, or **** get a Prius.

The Vette gets 28/18 MPG with 430 horses, so as long as it doesn't fall into gas guzzler tax, congress doesnt give a ****.

If you can afford to drive around a sports car, then why wouldn't you?

Amen to this man.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to have an ls3 powered camaro, which im guessing they'll have, but i just dont see them making it under 35k and for that price id prob buy something else, as long as the economy hasnt gone to complete **** by then..these 500hp+ cars will prob be more than i want to pay anyway so i dont care if they make it
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you guys keep saying that it'll have a big badass motor for the base V8, but remember, the Camaro is supposed to be competitive in price with the Mustang, and, since the suspension and interior are going to be a bit pricier fair than the Stangs, you gotta think about what powerplants GM makes that would beat/meat the upcoming Mustang refresh in power, but would also be cheap enough to produce that the said price point could be met. I don't see the H.O. V6 as an otion, it isn't powerful enough and costs too much, the LS3 is too powerful and costs too much, and I'm not even going to talk about the LS7.

We're looking at one of the "truck" V8's being the standard guys, and unless something drastic changes, like the addition of a new, cheap-to-build V8, that means the Camaro is getting either a pumped-up 5.3L or the 6.0L from the G8(which will probably be the case). I'm also pretty sure they would need to be iron-block versions to meet the price point GM has pledged to meet...

Another thing to think about is this: GM is planning on phasing out the 4.8L. It's replacement might find its way into the Camaro....
Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read all the posts but I read a lot and didn't see it mentioned. What I'd want is something that has around 350-400 hp to keep it affordable in cost and insurance but make it easy to mod for a LOT of extra power. Make that 350-400 with a small supercharger, restrictive exhaust, and a very mild or timid tune, then you can just put on a bigger pulley, open the exhaust, and an aggrssive tune and get a whole bunch more power.

Also, it's gotta have t-tops or a targa top too. Without one of those options I'd buy something else.

Last edited by Spink; 11-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing they need to do is make all models with a limited slip, or posi, whichever you want to call it. Half the country has to drive in snow and the people that can't afford the Z28 but like the car want to buy a base Camaro but they don't because it's impossible to drive in the snow with one wheel rear wheel drive and those are the same people who also can't afford a second car to drive in the winter. It doesn't make any sense and that's the biggest thing that has hurt the Camaro and Mustang in my eyes. You try to make it affordable buy eliminating the LSD but the same buyers you are trying to get to by doing that you are eliminating because they then need a second car to drive in the winter. I know hundreds of people who never bought base Camaro's, Mustangs, and Firbirds because of that. It's now similar with Chargers and some of the other next generation RWD cars. If there's no LSD, why bother?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont see why they wouldnt put an ls3 in it, they put the ls1 in f-bodys after the vette, the ls2 in gto's after the vette, whats the difference, it prob wont be base but prob be an option
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98NATA
I dont see why they wouldnt put an ls3 in it, they put the ls1 in f-bodys after the vette, the ls2 in gto's after the vette, whats the difference, it prob wont be base but prob be an option
But look at the price of those LS1 F-bodys and GTOs. The Mustang GT is not priced at a base of $32K, it's at ~25k. GM already has one hell of a fight ahead of them just by doing an IRS instead of the live axle in the Mustang, not to mention the fact that GM'll be damned if anyone says that they make unsafe cars, so that pretty much means it has a bunch of safety equipment( a good thing I might add!)to make it get five stars. Personally, I don't mind if the base V8 is a little on the heavy side, so long as it's affordable.

For the performance junkies out there, take solace in the fact that the faster versions(SS, etc.) will likely be lighter and most definitely faster than the one I intend on buying....at least until das kompressor is added!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

One thing man is that I see the prices for gas here in Miami rising (now at $3.54)and they better get that fuel economy thing for 30 mpg right or they will lose a lot of customers.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
One thing man is that I see the prices for gas here in Miami rising (now at $3.54)and they better get that fuel economy thing for 30 mpg right or they will lose a lot of customers.
For people that are willing to go spend 30+k on a new car, I don't think an increase in the fill up cost of less than $10 will sway too many opinions. Gas is going to cost what it does noi matter what you drive.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
For people that are willing to go spend 30+k on a new car, I don't think an increase in the fill up cost of less than $10 will sway too many opinions. Gas is going to cost what it does noi matter what you drive.
Man I disagree with you there. Ask any dealer manager how are the sales of the V8 Trucks and Big SUV V8s compare to 2 to 3 years ago. Even though its a different car class it just shows the impact that these gas prices have had all around.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Yeah... if you have the money to buy the big vehicle, You can buy the gas in it. I just bought a 2008 Avalanche. I hate filling it up, about $90 but I get about 500 miles out of a tank. It doesn't make me think about where or how I am driving. It just sucks... thats all...And all the big SUV/trucks are all still selling like crazy
Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

i imagine gm will put out a very mediocre v6 modle w/ great gas mileage just like they always have. 2.8's 3.1's, 3.4's then the 3.8's. all these years the 4.3 were around but never saw production in the f bodies b/c of fuel mileage.

i also imagine thers only going to be 1 motor for the Z's and the SS's just like its been for the last few years. forget about like the 3rd gens having 305's or 350's w/ almsot idential power and parts. i just dont see it happening. i dont see gm offering a 5.3 and a 6.0 model. im sure whichever they finally chose it will be above 400hp like the ls3 i see being the front runner for the f bodied cars.

i think what will finally make gm/s mind up is production cost/ fuel mileage for the company estamites/ and cost to the seller.

but opinions are like a-holes we all got em and these are mine, right or wrong they arent going to please us all.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Z28 400 Hp, Ss 450 Hp, Zl 1 500 Hp!!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm...maybe a D.O.D. direct injected 5.3 for a base engine...get good mileage and make decent power.

Perhaps a 400 hp LS2 for the next step (Z28?).

Market an optioned out 450 hp SS version.

Then, for us junkies, offer a LS7 powered ZL1. No power options, no AC, no nothing but power & handling. I'd even do without a radio. Oh yeah, better up the ante on the Z06 cuz I want the ZL1 to be at least 525 hp.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I say its gonna be:

base v6; 250hp
Z28: 360hp LS2 style detuned(like the G8)
SS: 438hp LS3

Maybe a ZL1 with the LS7 later...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about whether the LS3 will end up in the new Camaro.....I see it as practically a gaurantee. And they can produce a model with that motor that will make anything from 400-450hp fairly easy......so it's possible you may see two model trim levels with the same motor.

Whether an LS7 model is in the cards, however, is a bit more dicey. I just don't see it happening. You're talking about pricing the Camaro beyond the range of the base Vette, which maybe harder to market. I see GM going more hi-tech and possibly moving to a forced induction setup with a smaller motor for their halo 5th gen. But hey, who knows?.......anything's possible at this point.

I will echo some posters' sentiments that a 5.3 base V8 model would be a very smart idea. No one knows yet what the 2010 Mustang redesign will hold, but if it stays a 4.6 with a live axle, it will still price in the sub 30K area fairly easily. I don't see GM being able to match that with an LSX powered 5th gen......at least not with an IRS, nice interior, and modern safety features. Plus a cheaper V8 model would help quench alot of the nasty dealership markups that are bound to appear when the new Camaro hits the lots. That's the one good thing about having slower, smaller motor models..........keeps the HO models more affordable.

Quick Reply: The race for POWER!!!--Chevy Plans for 2010