Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Saleen Camaro: Fact or Fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saleen Camaro: Fact or Fiction?

DISCLAIMER: I found this on a local board, and have not had the chance see if it checks out yet, but it sounds plausible.

It is an interview with John Breaux and Steve Saleen at the 2006 Crusin the Coast show in Biloxi, Mississippi. This is supposedly from a thread on Road & Track's website.

Car Crazy - CC: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?

Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.

CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?

Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.

CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?

Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).

CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?

Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?

Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?

CC: What future projects?

Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).

CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?

Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very old story actually.

While Saleen did build the Camaro movie cars (from donor GTOs) they don't know anything about the production Camaro.

It is rumored though that Saleen is interested in building their own version of the Camaro.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh...my mistake. I didn't find anything in a quick search, so I posted it. I guess I should have figured it was old since things seem to trickle down from the big forums to the local boards...

I did know about the movie cars, but the interview makes him sound like he's pretty convinced that it'll happen.

It will be interesting to see who does tuner jobs / 2nd stickers on the new Camaro, Saleen or not. Between you and me, I kinda hope not. I'm hoping for a GMMG type operation, but hopefully on a little bigger scale. Like Saleen I guess, but with the rice factor turned down a little.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the interview, good read. I hope Saleen does do some work with GM in the future
Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Saleen will be part of the new camaro performance in its own version of a package model. I read it somewhere when Transformers came out.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

saleen is doing the paint for the new vipers. hopefully they outsource some of that sexy pearl paint for a special optioned camaro.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Regular

80 grand on a camaro or c6 z06. you choose.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Judging by the comments, no one sees any benefit from buying GM Performance Parts for your GM car?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kevano26
80 grand on a camaro or c6 z06. you choose.
are you seriously applying the price of a viper to a camaro? it might cost 1000-1500 for a superior paint option. i would spring for it.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hennytime
are you seriously applying the price of a viper to a camaro? it might cost 1000-1500 for a superior paint option. i would spring for it.
No. He's comparing the price of a Ford Mustang to a Saleen Mustang. Don't know where the Viper came into this.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
No. He's comparing the price of a Ford Mustang to a Saleen Mustang. Don't know where the Viper came into this.
the only thing saleen is doing for the viper in the 2008+ model year is paint jobs, which are amazing. i dont really seeing them modding a camaro and coming out with a saleen camaro farther than that of what slp did for the 4th gen. couple of badges, exhaust and a price tag
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Teching In

i think gm should go with another company. when u think saleen u think mustang and ford. i think a fresh company to custom stuff would be great. imo saleen is too played out. i mean thousands more for a saleen just to get 15-30 hp? thats effed up.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hennytime
the only thing saleen is doing for the viper in the 2008+ model year is paint jobs, which are amazing. i dont really seeing them modding a camaro and coming out with a saleen camaro farther than that of what slp did for the 4th gen. couple of badges, exhaust and a price tag

Are you aware that the Viper has nothing to do with anything in this whole thread other than your OT comment about paint?

Are you also aware that Saleen, in fact, does make Mustangs?

Furthermore, are you aware that Saleen Mustangs are a great deal (to a guy like me) more expensive than, say, a Mustang GT?

If you are able to understand those things, then you will probably be able to understand Kevano26's post, which you, in ignorance, took issue with.

Either way, I'm done. This is an ancient story and a worthless thread.

Sharpe out.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

this has already been debunked. salleen isnt doing anything wth the camaro
Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

I know a guy whose wife works for Saleen and he told me yesterday they are doing a package for the Camaro.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 PM

4get Saleen, what about yenko, baldwin-motion, dana, nicky, or anybody else? It would be great if some of these names could be resurected by way of the new camaro & someone could definitely cash in on this if they payed attention 2 the public.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Are you also aware that Saleen, in fact, does make Mustangs?
Technically, Saleen doesn't "make" Mustangs....they modify them. Ford Motor Company "makes" them.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

I think Saleen isnt going to get his hands on the Camaro from GM if he talks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_8F-FzPVo

Really, Steve Saleen is a complusive liar. That video proves it.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSjinx
I think Saleen isnt going to get his hands on the Camaro from GM if he talks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_8F-FzPVo

Really, Steve Saleen is a complusive liar. That video proves it.
...wow. I don't care if he was at a Mustang convention, thats just bad buisness talking about a potential client (GM) like that.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

After his recent comments about the Camaro he is crazy to think anyone is buying one from this douchebag.

Quick Reply: Saleen Camaro: Fact or Fiction?