Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans... cool info.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans... cool info.....

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

With so much incorrect information out there about GM's future LS motors, we though it would be a good time to query our sources and get the real deal. From the Cadillac CTS-V to the Corvette ZR1, we take a look at the LSA, LS7, LS8, LST, and LS9.

LS7

This is, of course, the current 7.0-liter, naturally aspirated motor in the Z06. It's handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center and is very expensive to make. Too expensive with the LS9 motor coming. While there will be several months where the LS7 and LS9 will be built at Wixom, the LS7 will eventually die, probably sometime between late-2009 or mid-2010.

Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

LSA

The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The LSA is a 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold.

Preliminary specs have it over 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor. Look for around 6000 to 8000 units annually.

Original plans also had the LSA going into an Escalade V-series truck. However justifying the development cost — not to mention CAFE considerations — might put possibility of such a truck in jeporady. At present, it is unclear whether the Escalade-V a truck is still part of the plan.

LS8

This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden's vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.

LST

Yet another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This motor may or may not still be in GM's plans. The original plan was to put it in GM's Heavy Duty trucks.

Delivering in excess of 450 pound-feet of torque, it was set to start in the middle of 2008. However, it now seems this motor may no longer be part of the plan. GM may have decided its diesel offerings were sufficient. It's also possible GM had a hard time justifying the cost of development. Of course, CAFE might have also played a role.

LS9

This is the 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger going into the ZR-1 Corvette. Like all the others, it has an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Original specs had this motor at 600 horsepower and 550 to 560 pound-feet of torque. It now seems the horsepower rating may have jumped to as much as 650.

If that's true, it would probably be safe to estimate a similar jump in torque to around 600 ft lbs. Sources have stated the LS9 can make 700hp on a test stand. Obviously though, that is without a car attached to the motor. Don't look for any production hp number starting with "seven."

It now appears an auto/paddle shift may also be an option on the ZR-1. This motor will be handbuilt at GM's Wixom performance center. They will only make 1500 to 2000 units a year. Production of the ZR-1 starts in July of 2008.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS8! i've always wanted a camaro with a factory supercharger! then all we need is a pully change and a good blower port and we are well on our way to 600HP.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds too good to be true...
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Sounds too good to be true...
yeah...........LS8 Sounds good though............
Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

I can't imagine the modding potential of a stock supercharged ls engine! I sure hope it's true.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

wonder what source they have this from?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm crossing my fingers for the ls8 and not uncrossing them untill the camaro comes out. if this really is true this might be the greatest thing to happen to the camaro since the all aluminum zl-1 and of course the ls1.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

ls8!!! too bad for all the mustang guys! lol, its about time the Camaros get a factory supercharger! I hope they go thorugh with it
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, I hope this is true! I don't even want to know how much an LS8 Camaro is gonna cost
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

OMG if this is true! Later Cobra
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Bullfuckingshit.

W
Old 10-30-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is their source ?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't even come close to citing a source!!!

Octane, what level of validity should we give this if any? Sounds great to me, and I'd go for it all as 100% true, but, damn, they don't even hint at a source. Everything's speculation till it hits the streets, but you can have a very, very clear idea. This seems to be right in line with everything I've ever read.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comment by Sharpe@LS1Tech.com, posted on October30 at 11:28 pm

Who are your sources?! This is breaking news in an area RIFLE with speculation, and not even a hint at sources. Not even a generic, "GM insiders," except when talking about LS9 power output, which anyone can read speculations about in every magazine on the rack. You state AS FACT that the top Zeta WILL get the LS8. You don't say "probably" or "will most likely" or "sources close to GM decision makers — who spoke on condition of anonymity — strongly believe it will get the LS8," you say IT WILL. We have no idea at all wheather or not this is total BS or if it's all 100 percent true as highest-level GM executives know it right now.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Is it rifle with speculation

W
Old 10-31-2007, 12:51 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i hope the z06 gets 550 or so
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From an engineering standpoint it does make a little sense. All thoes engines are probably running the same block or similar, if they are then that is millions of dollars savings in R&D, manufacturing and maintenance of tooling because you have 3 different cars that are running the same block. then if they share the same internals thats even more savings. It is also a savings in manpower. Instead of hundreds of people and machines assembling 5 different engines you can cut down your production staff and equiptment because you only have one engine to build (but possibly 2 configurations, the N/A 6.2L z28 model, and the FI 6.2L "SS" model). And by supercharging the engines you make it more potent with a smaller package possibly increasing fuel economy and emitions as well. The trend of american engines as of late is bigger is better as it has always been and always should be, but there has to be a limit as to how far they can take this displacement war. thats why i think that it is not completely unbelieveable that Gm has decided to go the FI route, you can get the same if not more HP easier than a larger displacement engine and possible for cheaper. But then again this is all in theory and like many others have said there is nothing even close to resembleing a source in this article. But a gear head can dream .

also when a company buys superchargers they buy them by the thousands this drives the cost way down. don't think that they spend $5,000 on a FI kit for a motor. So by supercharging 3 "different" motors (camaro, caddy, vette) they can order more chargers at lower cost and still meet their cost goals and performance goals.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

If the Camaro gets a 500+ HP engine, the LS8 was always the front-runner even back when it was first talked about. This is the first time I have heard that the Z06 will get it as well but the super vette was always going to get the LS9.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

It makes sense except for the fact that the new MPG requirements would not be met with everyone driving a SC'ed car.

W
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is true but you never know, i'm sure that they can figure a way to squeak by if they really need to. it's a very real posibility that it could happen (or not) and i'm excited about the prospect of a 6.2L FI factory motor.

Quick Reply: A detailed look at GM's LS motor plans... cool info.....