General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the mods on your car now you should be pretty damn close to a cobra, with heads you will take it for sure. like others said, if you can drive you could be one.

+1 for the ls1. unless you feel like payign 25k for the cobra, and another 5k to build it up. Not worth it imho
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

stick with the T/A man.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

C5 Zo6 > 03-04 Cobra > LS1 f-body...... get a Zo6 or a Cobra, I'm sure you will be happy with either one.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by WALK NASTY984
car is a 02 T/A M6 58,000 miles....Torquer V.3 cam, Pacesetter LT, SLP LID, TSP ORY.....383rwhp/363rwtq
i have seen this cam go 420 rwhp. there is more left in your current setup
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Guys, you have not looked at 03 Cobra prices in a while I guess. Some are under $20K. There is a Red 03 near me with 2.8 pulley and bolt ons @ 460rwhp with only 42K miles for $19K. Hell of a bargin and a better car than the F-body, sorry.

We all know the F-body down falls. Before I bought my Cobra, I had a paid for 99 SS H/C Camaro. I sold it, grabbed the 03 Cobra (already pullied/bolt-on) and was blown away with the difference in the design and fit/finish of the Cobra, not to mention the low/mid exsplosive power. Not a single squeek or rattle and the focking windows actually shot up, I was impressed. Seats...amazing, 5 disc indash cd, an actual trunk and the coldest ac I ever felt. The car handled no different than my SS, the brakes were actually better and I now had a dual exhaust with two mufflers and infinite exhaust choices. Shifter is way out of place and the ac only blows on your left knee so.... would I say it's perfect....no way, but to me, much better than any F-body.

I ended up selling it since I was not driving it and i sat in the garage. I also needed to free up the payment to help my father who moved in with me. Then, I got a great raise at work, enough to pay for a car by itself. If I had gotten that raise a month earlier, I would NOT have sold the Cobra.

I "thought" I wanted another SS. I found the nicest 02 M6 SS I could find. I wanted that car so bad. So I bought a lightly modded NBM hardtop M6 with chrome wheels and mint ebony interior, as close to the perfect F-body if you ask me.

Then I added a few more mods. TB, CB, UD, tune and few others. I realized how much money I would have to spend th make it even close to my Cobra and decided to sell it after 2 payments.

Here it is off the CA to the new owner.

My close friend at the time had a 2000 Z28 with MS3, boltons, converter and 3:73's. He went for a ride in a pullied 03 Cobra and ....yep, he bought it and sold his Camaro. He couldn't even drive a stick at the time. I had to go over his house at nights and teach him.

Here is the day he bought the Cobra and his Z28 was still parked at his house.

Sorry for the long post but this is an imprtant decision and you need the most info possible so you don't regret anything.

Can you make an F-body as fast as a KB Cobra? Sure. Will it idle and drive like it did the day it was new.... No way.

If you like having a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hide 600-700rwhp car...Cobra.

If you are thinking of only keeping it as a pullied Cobra, stick with the T/A. Pullied Cobras are not that fast anymore.
Remember, for the difference in the price, you can't fix the errors with the F-body.

" Throw FI on an F-body " you say.
Go ahead, bu dont forget the forged shortblock and the FI...over $10K for that alone, now the Cobra is not only a better car, it is also in the same price range, if not cheaper since you still have a much better resale and hell, a newer car too.

Thats as much as I can add.

I would take a C6 over a Cobra though, C6's are very fun AND more refined than both.

Later suckas!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reading, Jay. I dig the perspective.

The factory forged internals and high resale are probably the two biggest validations towards getting a Cobra. Unless you're planning on keeping it forever and value isn't a big deal, a built F-body isn't going to bring the same coin. You're right on that.

As far as creature comforts are concerned, that's just Mustangs in general. My old '96 V6 and my '95 GT practically blew ice out of the vents and were incredibly comfortable. I think interior quality is a hit or miss with them though. I've known two fellows with low mile '04 GTs who always complained about the interior rattles, but I've seen others that were perfectly quiet. Other than the seats, it's all the same stuff. The center bezel around the radio and vents is a bad spot, and so are those damn door pockets. Why Ford planned for those things to be where you yank the door shut is beyond me.

I used to really want an '03-04 Cobra, and still like them, but Corvettes have me second guessing. When the time comes to step my game up, I'll probably look into a C5 Z06.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Good reading, Jay. I dig the perspective.

The factory forged internals and high resale are probably the two biggest validations towards getting a Cobra. Unless you're planning on keeping it forever and value isn't a big deal, a built F-body isn't going to bring the same coin. You're right on that.

As far as creature comforts are concerned, that's just Mustangs in general. My old '96 V6 and my '95 GT practically blew ice out of the vents and were incredibly comfortable. I think interior quality is a hit or miss with them though. I've known two fellows with low mile '04 GTs who always complained about the interior rattles, but I've seen others that were perfectly quiet. Other than the seats, it's all the same stuff. The center bezel around the radio and vents is a bad spot, and so are those damn door pockets. Why Ford planned for those things to be where you yank the door shut is beyond me.

I used to really want an '03-04 Cobra, and still like them, but Corvettes have me second guessing. When the time comes to step my game up, I'll probably look into a C5 Z06.
Thanks buddy and BINGO! Go for the C5Z, they are at $21-24K now AMAZING!

F-bodies are the cheapest way to run 11's though, no doubt. I have seen a few 99-00's for less than $6K around here.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Keep your car..
Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice guys i'll have the car payed of in two months and it's got low miles so i think i'll just keep it
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, what a tough decision.

Personally, i don't think there is a better bang for the dollar when it comes to the f-body. Maybe a foxbod...i love gm and i think the price to build one over a cobra is cheaper. That's why, personally, the f-body is for me. You can get a nice f-body for under 10 and a cobra for low 20s...big difference there. Up to you.

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
I shall say the opposite. The Cobras are built to handle 800 RWHP STOCK. Since the car is supercharged, new flywheel ($1000), IRS brace ($250) and Whipple 3.4L($3800) and you have atleast 700 RWHP car. IMO COBRA... they are really easy to build fast.
So the t56 can handle 800rwhp untouched? Tell that to my buddy who had his rebuilt after a few bolt ons.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

blue oval = fail (flame retard suit on)(this is LS1 tech!)

poor little 4.6 couldnt keep up so they supercharged it, well what happened when we supercharged the ls9........

throw a bottle on it and be done with it, prc's wont hurt either
Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
blue oval = fail (flame retard suit on)(this is LS1 tech!)

poor little 4.6 couldnt keep up so they supercharged it, well what happened when we supercharged the ls9........

throw a bottle on it and be done with it, prc's wont hurt either
not this arguement, kids
Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

i like cobra's and my dad is a ford guy, ive been trying my damndest to get him to pick up a cobra! after college when its time to move up i think ill pick up a c6 or maybe a c6z well see what prices are but my camaro will still have its place in my garage and ill never sell it...in the end it all comes down to what you want, go test drive a cobra and see what you think.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say do it, and STANG UP.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

God no.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 AM

I have had both SS and a cobra.

Daily driver - comfort hands down - cobra
- Trunk space - cobra
- passenger back seat - cobra
- Stereo stock - cobra
- all around driving and handeling - Cobra IRS can't be beat.
- occasional stop light romp - Cobra stock will walk most LS1's, plus the sound is much cooler weee weeee weeee.
Fun factor drag strip/road course
- Drag strip - LS1 - stock they just move out well.
- cobra - Wheel hop very bad, will require $$$$ just to make it act normal. Damage very high if not properly set up.
- road course - LS1- Car can run with the best of them with the quick snappy LS1 and stock suspension
-cobra- does well here also - IRS is a benefit

Things I hate
Camaro SS - T-tops leaked no matter how many trips to the dealer, Passenger side bump for cat converter, rear seats were useless, so was trunk space, back spark plugs, parts always cost a lot more then mustang.

Cobra - I hate the IRS at the strip or just dumping the clutch, but on a rough road or back country roads I love it.

Now I am speaking camaro SS vs cobra, not C5 vs cobra.

Now since knowing someone with a Z06, then Z06 hands down. They do everything great.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shoemike
I say do it, and STANG UP.
Dude, his flows are totally "on the chain"

God what a moronic rapper and horrible looking vehicles.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Dude, his flows are totally "on the chain"

God what a moronic rapper and horrible looking vehicles.
very true....
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

if you have the right heads/cam setup you should have no issue whatsoever murdering a cobra. That's if you have the right tune/traction/exhaust mods to complement.

I say keep it...termi's are nice, very nice, but wayy too expensive and overrated.

If given a certain amount of money to buy and mod a termi/fbody the fbody would murder it indefinately.

You might want to look into C5 zo6's though, as stated above
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by carrew
I have had both SS and a cobra.

Daily driver - comfort hands down - cobra
- Trunk space - cobra
- passenger back seat - cobra
- Stereo stock - cobra
- all around driving and handeling - Cobra IRS can't be beat.
- occasional stop light romp - Cobra stock will walk most LS1's, plus the sound is much cooler weee weeee weeee.
Fun factor drag strip/road course
- Drag strip - LS1 - stock they just move out well.
- cobra - Wheel hop very bad, will require $$$$ just to make it act normal. Damage very high if not properly set up.
- road course - LS1- Car can run with the best of them with the quick snappy LS1 and stock suspension
-cobra- does well here also - IRS is a benefit

Things I hate
Camaro SS - T-tops leaked no matter how many trips to the dealer, Passenger side bump for cat converter, rear seats were useless, so was trunk space, back spark plugs, parts always cost a lot more then mustang.

Cobra - I hate the IRS at the strip or just dumping the clutch, but on a rough road or back country roads I love it.

Now I am speaking camaro SS vs cobra, not C5 vs cobra.

Now since knowing someone with a Z06, then Z06 hands down. They do everything great.
Nitpicking here.. Before I bought a Camaro, I figured the hatch would be completely useless. To my suprise, I've yet to be compromised by space. Being it's open to the car, it helps with longer cargo. I carried an 8ft table home in my Camaro and I've seen folks stuff entire hoods up there. It's shown usefulness in ways a Mustang couldn't have.

For what it is, the Mustang does have a damn big trunk though. I like the spare arrangement better on them.

Quick Reply: Should i trade my ls1 for a terminator