General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

anyone ever wash there engine at the car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone ever wash there engine at the car wash

just wondering if anyone with a ls1 has done this and had any problems. Just wondering before i do this. My engine could use some cleaning.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what Ive heard, high pressure water guns are no good for engine cleaning. The best way is with your typical garden hose.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^its all bs...ive done it for the last two years ive sprayed my motor with cleaner and drove it to the wash...700ft from my house...and cleaned it. the wires are made to withstand water, they just DONT LIKE STEAM...other than that clean away, just dont steamclean.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I clean the engine but not at the car wash.. it isnt bullshit, those high pressure car washes can harm the engine and wires. I go home and use the normal hose on it and leave the car running while doing so, this way you could know if something is hitting or chugging when your spraying it.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

im pretty sure they had a tiny article in gmht about it...
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea about water, not high pressure water that is MEANT to be shot at the car to remove dirt. Which can also remove wires if they arent in right or something is loose electrically. Its just not a good idea, a hose from ur house is fine but it isnt recommended for high pressure.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to Lowes and bought a cheap 1000psi pressure washer and clean the engine with that, but i also stand 5 feet back.
People say "pressure washers can do harm to wires" and **** - yeah they can also kill paint if you are on the concentrated nozzle and spraying a foot away. It's all how you use it. Isn't that obvious?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^yup yup
Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Yes it can harm the weather pac seals that protect the wiring connectors.
It is really not a good idea, but it is your car do what you want.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Banned

Theres a GM TSB out about knock sensor failure caused by water getting into the knock sensor wells. I hosed my engine in my SS off twice, about a month after the second time a knock sensor went bad. When I removed it I found it was all rusted up at 48,000 miles.
Only the front one.
The TSB says the problem is more common on vehicles like vans with a more open engine compartment, or any vehicle thats had the engine washed more often than usual.

The fix is new knock sensors, wiring harness, and to use RTV to seal the rubber plugs that cap the wells.

When I got the engine for my Z28 I had it on a stand and washed it upside down to prevent water from getting in.

In all reality you can pour water from a cup over the engine and it might get into the sensor wells.
I even shut the fans off manually with HPTuners when I did my SS and ran it to stock temp for about 45 minutes to dry it out each time, it didn't help.
Now that they're sealed I still never washed it yet, but I won't feel comfortable doing it.

There are half circles all along the sides of the intake that drain water from the top to the bottom and out, so it really doesn't matter how careful you are, it most likely will get in the wrong places.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

I pressure washed my engine bay once...not thinking anything could happen...BAD IDEA!!

Car stumbled and ran funny for DAYS!

I took it to CMS and the guys figured I had gotten water in the injector seats on the mani.....sure enough I had!

They pulled all the injectors and blew them clean with the air hose and plugged it all back in. Car runs PERFECT!!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Default elbow grease.

a little cleaner and a paint brush, rags,tooth brush and RINSE off with a garden hose and it'll come clean and be safe,look @ my engine pic's all by hand, there is no easy way to do anything right.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i sprayed my engine bay day i few times with a pressure washer
1- on a cool engine bay, spray simple green or concentrated degreaser liberally on underside of hood, hinges, and all components. make sure the cover on the fuse boxes are on tight. you might want to disconnect the battery just to be on the safe side
2. using a paintbrush, just agitate the degreaser. hit spots like the hoses and crevices of the intake manifold.
3. by the time your done agitating everything it time to powerwash it. make sure you dont let any of the degreaser dry up on you. spray everything down, use common sense. dont direct a stream at the coilpacks or under the intake.
4.leafblower/air compressor. blow all the water out. use towels on the rest.
5. i usually like to follow the steps again, except using the glossy engine brite stuff at autozone. spray, agitate, spray, dry.

first time i did it i got a SES light for a knock sensor a week after i cleaned the engine bay. i resetted the PCM and the code never came back. next time, i would probably use something to block the gap between the manifold and the valley cover

dont be afraid to do it. just use common sense where you direct a 2000psi stream of water.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slayerized6
next time, i would probably use something to block the gap between the manifold and the valley cover
And all the little half circles on top of the intake? If you block the ends, and wash the top, you're basically going to fill it up. Whatever gets in through the top needs to drain out the bottom.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

i spray mine at the car wash and at home with a garden hose. if im at the carwash washing my engine, i DO NOT pull the trigger for high pressure on my engine. also isnt good the get the PCM wet and can cause the terminals to corrode. happened once and was quite pricey
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

i have a pressure washer at home ive used and one at a carwash, i just make sure to stand back and to also not spray right at wires, fuse box, etc. its common sense really, i always try to let it dry first too before i start it up. never had a problem. one time everynow and then keeps it pretty clean, ive only done it 2 or 3 times in 2 and a half years of ownership.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

sprayed my FIPK by accident once and car ran like crap til it dried
Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

When I do it I stand back and don't pull the tripper at all. I keep it running then I cut it of and turn it back on. Just use common sense and you should be okay.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Resident

i always wandered if other guys had done this....i too have washed my engine. HOWEVER i have done so VERY carefully. I cover the alternator before i do anything. I usually use greased lightning and spray everything down but the pcm and the fuse box. Ill wipe those by hand. i dont ever scrub anything(its NEVER THAT dirty) I let the degreaser sit 3-5min. I start my car, and then ill use my garden hose on gentle spray. NOT directly hitting along the injectors. I will rinse off the degreaser and use a towel to get the EXCESS water off. Ill let my car run ATLEAST 10min. After i shut her down, ill leave the hood up in the sun to let the rest of whats left of the water i didnt get, dry. Walla!!........btw i only clean under my hood twice a year.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wipe down the engine and bay with a dry rag every once in a while and it stays about as clean as this...