General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Daily Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Drivers?

How many of you guy actually use your cars as daily drivers? I'm just curious. I love my SS, but its not really a car I would want as a daily driver. Just seems like it makes it more fun to drive when you just drive a car every now and then. I just perfer a truck for daily transportation, just my personal opinion. I have several buddies with F-bodies, and we all just play with them and drive trucks as dd's. Just wondering if we should be considered weird, of if lots of you guys do this too. Our cars aren't race cars, perfectly drivable street cars, just toys. Don't get me wrong, these cars were meant to driven, and driven hard. What do you guys perfer?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my 1935 Ford LS1 powered hot rod daily and I enjoy driving the wheels off of it. My "commuter car" is a 2008 HHR SS five speed with the GM Performance Stage I kit installed. It's a fun car to drive and very quick but when ever I have a choice.....I drive the old hot rod.

Daily Drivers?-ford-sleeper-1.jpg

Last edited by Oscar Will; 05-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 PM

i dont drive my ss daily either. I drive a truck for my daily. I want to keep it low miles and clean but it is fun to go out and dust a few mustangs asses on the weekends.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

great question man!! i dont daily drive my Z28 either. its crazy that i dump money into this car that never gets driven or will ever see the track. i would like to eventually get a truck also.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

i love your sig bro...that **** made me lol. Also to the main question being asked, i DD my trans am and i just clocked 170,100...i know...WOW...but whats great is i beat her hard once every 2-3 days and she still purrs like a kitten, cranks right up on the first try and has never lost to a mustang lmao My aunt has a 93 TA swear to god looks like it just rolled out of production...its been babied to its 200K plus miles and runs like a beauty, she dosent race it or anything but she gets into it every now and then, u know to clean the carbon out... lol.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Teching In

i have a blazer for a daily driver, in my opinion it takes the fun out of driving my SS to use it for a DD. Its a pain in the *** bc i always have to be extra careful not to get door dings, watch for potholes, etc. Also, i try not to drive it in the rain because i spend too much time trying to keep my black car clean! I would rather drive my junker truck every day than worry about ruining my camaro for daily drives or have to wash it all the time bc it gets dirty in the rain.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

I have daily driven all my previous F-Bodys as well as my Current SS....BUT it gets old, especially if you have much done to the car.... I know my 01 with 4000 stall, Cam, 3" Duals Dumping etc...started to wear me out LOL...

I have learned a second driver is a much needed thing once you start playing with these cars...no doubt about it...
Old 05-23-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i drive mine about 10 days a month, makes it more enjoyable, i drive my truck to work and when it rains
Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had to daily drive my T/A for the past few weeks since my DD was stolen . I actually don't mind it, pretty fun and MPG are good to. I'm gettin about 29-30 hwy, and 19-20 city. I move in a week though and will be close enough to walk to work so its gonna go back to garage queen real quick!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

i DD my 98 t/a. realistically, these cars really arnt worth anything. They will only depreciate in value, and even a clean SS or WS6 with low miles still isnt worth that much. Just enjoy the car and have fun.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Daily drive mine, although sometimes i wish i had a beater for a dd.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slayerized6
i DD my 98 t/a. realistically, these cars really arnt worth anything. They will only depreciate in value, and even a clean SS or WS6 with low miles still isnt worth that much. Just enjoy the car and have fun.
Oh I agree...I wouldnt keep it in the garage for value sake, just for the fact its more fun to only take them out every so often....especially modded.....now stock...or close to stock, sure, drive the wheels off it...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive the TA as much as possible. When the weather is bad, I drive the Dodge Ram. When the pavement ends, I drive the Dodge or Jeep. When gas is $4 a gallon, I drive the Lancer OZ Rally or the Hyundai Tiburon. Normally the kids drive these. But whenever I can, it's the TA.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Every day, rain or shine! Sometimes gets on my nerves, but inevitably whenever Im driving another car I always at least once a trip wish I was in the Z.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Couldn't of said it better myself. These cars are special to us but not to the majority. I have owned 8 LS1 f-bodies and had fun with every single one. I don't daily drive my corvette only because I use my Formula most of the time.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont dd my car because it's very loud for CA (lt's with cutout open) and i just want to keep the miles low... i want to replace my dd taurus though... with maybe a gt mustang of an lt1... something more fun to drive
Old 05-23-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I DD mine.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

I daily drive my SS and enjoy every minute of it. Its actually become more expensive to keep my Volkswagen on the road anyway and Its probably gonna stay broken down for a couple more months. When the Camaro gets old and decrepit I'll just restore it to new and just keep driving it. I enjoy driving much more than watching it sit, I don't have a garage anyway, might as well use it. Ill be buried in my car so I'm not worried about resale value anyway.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll agree they aren't worth all that much, but I hate to see them get ragged out from the miles/age/sun/general abuse from daily driving. I daily drove my 1999 Z28 for five years/75k miles and it kind of broke my heart to see how many rock chips the front of the car accumulated.

I eventually had the front bumper/hood repainted at 100k, had a couple of dings taken out by the paintless dent guy. After I did that, it looked better than when I bought it with 43k miles.

I'll own another 4th gen, it'll either be a LS1 Camaro or Formula with a six speed. It'll be a garage queen though, and I'll have a slow DD.

I've been daily driving a 1991 Cadillac Brougham. Its a total barge, but man its spoiled me with its comfort, I couldn't imagine living with a loud ***, uncomfortable fbody every day.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Launching!

I daily drove my '02 Formula and loved every second of it rain or shine. My girlfriend would want to take her new Civic whenever we went on trips because she doesn't pay for her gas and I do but I never wanted to take her car. We took it a few places and I drove and many times I wish I had my V8 tq, lol. Since my car was stolen last year we take her car everywhere and its great on gas and its great for her but not me, lol. I drove a Escalde EXT for a daily for a month and it was fun but I still like my Formula better. Infact, I'm looking for a rare F Body for my next car, either a CETA, A SOM WS6, a Firehawk or a Berger Camaro if I can find one for a decent price and you better beleive I am going to daily the hell out of what ever I get next. Only daily I plan on getting is a sport bike.

Quick Reply: Daily Drivers?