General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes dont get him a cobra they have too much power for a little kid.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman
Hey smartass, my Camaro has two seats, does that turn it into a sports car? I would never by an a4 over an m6 even if I wanted to drag race it. Just my preference, autos are too boring and uninvolved for me. The only advantage I see to an auto is consistancy at the strip, and who wants to just run the same time, every time?

You act like you know it all, but you just sound stupid to me. Why do you think anybody on here cares about your kids opinion on transmissions anyway?
Is there a reason you turn to personal attacks?

you talk about me having kid opinions and make a post like that.. ^^^

keep in mind that your opinion is just that... an opinion..

other have already pointed out how stupid this section of the post was..
The only advantage I see to an auto is consistancy at the strip, and who wants to just run the same time, every time?
when once have i acted like i know it all? sounds like you ran out of things to say and just started (tried) to flame me for my post..

Originally Posted by unit213
Only every single competitive drag racer in the world.
very nicely put..
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

on a side note..

bout duffman

Ride
02 SS SOM
Tranny type
Automatic
Tires
Street Radials

Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

on a side note, im done with you duff...
you are a moron.. and have some pretty funny posts..

talking to me like i dont know anything... calling my statements "kid" statements..

how old are you again?
what is done to your car?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
I got my T/A when i turned 16. Im 17 now, and im proud to say its not too much car. The power gets old after a while, and you learn that showing off just makes you look stupid. Learn to use the cruise control and keep out of the throttle. Cops will watch you until you prove yourself a respectable driver. I got all the same sh*t when i got my car...ie too much power, get a v6, ect. Just respect the car and the law, and you'll have 0 issues
I wish i was like that when i got my evo (i was only 17)...lol i was hitting every single turn top speed... but i agree with u 100% its all up to the driver

and i love it how every single post on here always turns into some kind of argument lol
Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
on a side note, im done with you duff...
you are a moron.. and have some pretty funny posts..

talking to me like i dont know anything... calling my statements "kid" statements..

how old are you again?
what is done to your car?
Yes my car is an auto with a 3200 stall. Not my choice, but a built T56 will finally be going in this fall. I dont have a problem with your boner for autos, I just said I personally would never pick one over an M6 for racing or otherwise.

I was also stating that the whole paragraph about some ricer kids making some dumb *** comment is totally irrelevant. I made one post, and you go off posting back to back to back a personal attack on me right after you got done saying i personally attacked you. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'll just end it there, I'm not one to bicker back and forth on the Internet, Ive got nothing to prove. You don't like my opinion that's ok.

Edit: You should try to edit your post like this whenever you come up with a bunch of your clever "side notes", and try cutting back on the triple periods all over the place. This isnt twitter.

Last edited by duffman; 08-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes my car is an auto with a 3200 stall. Not my choice, but a built T56 will finally be going in this fall. I dont have a problem with your boner for autos, I just said I personally would never pick one over an M6 for racing or otherwise.

I was also stating that the whole paragraph about some ricer kids making some dumb *** comment is totally irrelevant. I made one post, and you go off posting back to back to back a personal attack on me right after you got done saying i personally attacked you. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I'll just end it there, I'm not one to bicker back and forth on the Internet, Ive got nothing to prove. You don't like my opinion that's ok.
you would never pick an a4 over an m6... but you did... did daddy give it to you or something?

why the hell wouldnt i attack you after you attack me?

its not that i dont like your opinion... its that it is wrong.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

i would get a car with traction control and rig it up to were it never turned off. u just got a camaro off here that run's low 11's and i had never drove a fully loaded camaro so i didnt know the t/c is autoatically when you turn the car on. i took it for a spin and floored it.... it just bogged and felt like a turd. i later realised i needed to turn the t/c off and took it for a hit, couldnt evan give it half throttle
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Man just let the kid have a ws6 or cobra if that's what he wants. How are you going to tell someone when they can get one not to??? I mean unless he finds a sports car he really likes that is slower. I had my SS at 17 and all is fine. Just give him the "talk" and let him know that he has to respect the car. I mean there are plenty of 20+ year olds that get themselves an ls1 or whatever being bad drivers right???
Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jph2275
Hey tech,

I have a brother who will be turning 16 in a few months. He is a smart, shy, and responsible kid. He was always kinda copied what ive done as a role model, and he notices that I like sporty cars...

FBodies, mainly

He likes the trans am ws6, and quite frankly so do i, much more than my SS.

So we have been looking at a few of those, but I cant seem to have much luck finding one that isnt really high miles and/or beaten on pretty bad.

I guess these cars are getting too old to find low mileage

So option 2 is getting him a cobra...

I have found a few 03/04s with low mileage and in great shape in my area..

So he will be getting a sports car of some kind

MY QUESTION

I know how I drove at age 16... I was a lil wild with the throttle and dont know if having a slower rig at that age saved my life

Do you guys think that both of these cars are death traps to the inexperienced?

I want him to get something he wants, that has decent resell value, and has some sex appeal (I mean come on, we all know theres lots of *** to be had in highschool)

An opinion of any kind is appreciated
When I was 16 I wanted a V-8 F-body.... my parents let me get an 86 Camaro with an auto and a 2.8 V-6......... I ran it over a curb going into a corner to fast and bent borth front wheels..... one would not hold air and riped the y-pipe off.... later I got on it to hard in the high school parking lot and did not realize another guy in a truck may not have known I got on it some and he smashed my drivers side door and quarter pannel.

I did not get a V-8 (LT1 car) untill I was like 21.... I did not get a built BBC car untill I was 24. If I had the BBC car at 21 I woud be dead or would have been in a seriosu wreck (don't know how I am still alive afer a spin out I had in the 96 and I did not wreck either). If I had the LT1 when I was 16 I am sure I would be deda wor would have trashed the car.
One girl in H.S. got a WS6 brand new and was 16..... not long after she wraped it around a pole.....

I knew one guy that rode a friends GSXR 1000 and got killed on it when he ran into the back of a truck at full throttle.

Why not this, get him a V-6 Firebird or Camaro and put an SS or WS6 hood and spoler on it? Still has 200 horse and is a little quiker or as quick as the stock 3rd gen stuff and has air bags and ABS and stuff. Or a V-6 stang with cobra wheels and hood and all.

If he complains that he wants a V-8 then chances are he will trash the car and or get killed. just being honest........ As he proves he can be responsible then he could do the free mods and then some money mods and have a quick car................

There are a lot of people that will say they got a V-8 and were fine......... you will not find many that will say they wish they hever had an 8 because they are dead..... granted some lived and had trashed cars..........

How do you keep someone from getting one? Well I don't know many 16 year olds that can afford to get an LS1 car let alone a WS6 on their own so that helps and most would have problems paying for the insurance on their own....... 16 year old with an LS1 car... even just collision it would be pricey............ on top of a car payment........ the problem is that people buy these cars for kids so they could care less what happens..... sorry but even if my dad gave me that talk I would not have respected any of my cars as much as I have if they bought them for me or anyone esle........ it is on a whole nother level when you buy it yourself............

On the Manual vs Auto stuff........ I would not want a young driver with a V-8 that has power with a manual tranny...... in the corners shifting you can get into some trouble.........

I like auto's just as much as manuals....... drive one with a lot of power (not a stock LS1) with gears, stickies, and a stall and post back...........

On the paddle shift comment........ all american paddle shifts are a joke...... the only ones that are REALLY good are in Ferrari's and a few other exotics...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Get him the biggest P.O.S. you can find him. He's 16, no use spending serious cash on a first car. If he drives the junker like an idiot or crashes it, then you just saved yourself thousands.

My first car was an 86 F150. Perfect first car. Cost $550 bucks.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, I think it really depends on your brother. Everyone seems to be saying don't do it, but unfortunately we don't know your brother. I for one, had a volvo for a few months, then a v6 camaro when I was 16. I got a 94 z28 when I was 17. I had a mustang gt when I was 18 and currently I have a 2000 camaro ss and I am 22, I got it when I was 20. I think I drove more reckless in the volvo than anything else lol. I did stupid **** when I had my cars, but no worse than anyone else on here. Burnouts here and there and I did some high speed runs by myself. I never really street raced or anything. I would say if your brother is responsible, get him something he wants. If you have some doubts, then don't do it.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Short answer: NO, it is not safe or smart.

/thread.

Needs to be closed.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

you would never pick an a4 over an m6... but you did... did daddy give it to you or something?

why the hell wouldnt i attack you after you attack me?

its not that i dont like your opinion... its that it is wrong.

Oh wow your persistent, i'll give you that. Like a child that whines until they get their way.

I bought it from my dad if you would have read my first post you would've known that. Not that my personal life is any of your business, but you seem really interested. Why did you make another post just to put my bio on an unrelated thread again?

on a side note..

bout duffman

Ride
02 SS SOM
Tranny type
Automatic
Tires
Street Radials
On to something relevant to this thread, my first car was actually a broke *** Volkswagen Jetta. I got it because my brother was moving and it was broke so I fixed it. I always appreciated my cars and I had to fix that thing so many times but I kept it on the road till it just ran like **** and there is to many things wrong with it so instead of wasting my money on that car again my dad sold me the Camaro at 17. I paid 10k for it and always took care of it. I want to protect my investment, most kids aren't like that though. But I do agree everybodys first car should be a P.O.S.

Last edited by duffman; 08-05-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Teching In

u guys need to just shake hands and get over it
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When we use to go to College station every weekend I use to always see chicks running around in Z28's, GT's, WS6's etc... I think if they can do it so can he.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh wow your persistent, i'll give you that. Like a child that whines until they get their way.

I bought it from my dad if you would have read my first post you would've known that. Not that my personal life is any of your business, but you seem really interested. Why did you make another post just to put my bio on an unrelated thread again?

On to something relevant to this thread, my first car was actually a broke *** Volkswagen Jetta. I got it because my brother was moving and it was broke so I fixed it. I always appreciated my cars and I had to fix that thing so many times but I kept it on the road till it just ran like **** and there is to many things wrong with it so instead of wasting my money on that car again my dad sold me the Camaro at 17. I paid 10k for it and always took care of it. I want to protect my investment, most kids aren't like that though. But I do agree everybodys first car should be a P.O.S.
that was completely relevant mr, "i would never buy an a4 over an m6" "a4s are boring and too uninvolved for me".... way to down your car man... IMHO you dont make enough power to enjoy it then..

you call me a "kid" in another post.. but yet you yourself are a kid...

your a real wiener............... my bad, type-o.. winner..

Originally Posted by blackdemon98
u guys need to just shake hands and get over it
have you not seen me post before?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Let him have it, They're not so bad, i have a couple of friends (brothers) that have ws6's, One is 21 the other has barely turned 16. He BABIES his car more than anyone i know!!! So it's just the person. Not a bad choice for a first car!!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

IMHO you dont make enough power to enjoy it then...

but yet you yourself are a kid...
The bold is the only thing you've said, that I agree with.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is the only thing you've said I agree with.

Quick Reply: Cobra/Ws6 too much for a 16 year old to handle?