General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I got rearended - Cop nearly refuses to write report - still worried...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I got rearended - Cop nearly refuses to write report - still worried...

I was sitting still at a yeild behind a couple other cars, and some lady smacks the back of my 99 z28.

It was a low speed collision. The damage resulted in several spider cracks through the paint on my rear bumper. I pride myself in the condition of my car. This damage is very bothering to me even if it is only cosmetic. When the officer pulled up he immediately seemed to have a confrontational attitude. Maybe it was the fact that I was the 26 year old guy in the Camaro, but he would not work with me at all. At first he told me he was not even going to write a report. He questioned me several times how her car could cause the type of damage I described. I was unaware that I had to be an auto body expert in order to get a police report written.

When he finally realized where the damage was he told me that I could not prove the damage came from this incident. How in the world could I have proved something like that??? Do I need to take pictures of my car and date them every time before I take it out? Its ridiculous.

Eventually he agreed to write a report (though he was clearly not happy about doing so). At first he stated he would write a report that said "driver believes the damage was caused by the accident but could not be proven". What the heck is that? When he came back to my car he gave my wife attitude as well as to why she did not have an ID on her. We had just been at the gym where she does not like to carry an id, and she was not driving nor did she have any plan on driving. I do not see why it was a problem that she did not have an ID.

The officer would also not share what he had put in his report, maybe this is standard procedure? I do not know.

Now I'm worried that he didnt indicate in the report that the damage was caused by the other driver, and I'm concerned that I may have issues getting my insurance to pay. She was covered by Country Financial, I have full coverage by state farm.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Call your insurance company right away and speak to someone "in the know" and not just a call center rep. In most states (looks like you have MO plates) the driver who rear ends another is almost always 100% fault because they consider that not having control of you vehicle. You should be ok unless the lady's insurance trys to pull some BS based on this cop's "false" report. You may want to contact her insurance also to report the incident and get the claim process started. They'll probably contact her and she'll admit she hit you. If she does that's all you need.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

I was rearended by a drunk driver and he fled from the scene. I was 19 at the time driving a 1999 SS, and you can only imagine how the officer treated me. No respect, told me that he couldnt have been going more then 20 mph to cause the damage it caused. Needless to say it caused 9k worth of damage and the body shop told me they would have to backhalf the car to get it fixed right. I feel ya man, hope everything works out.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69camaross
Call your insurance company right away and speak to someone "in the know" and not just a call center rep. In most states (looks like you have MO plates) the driver who rear ends another is almost always 100% fault because they consider that not having control of you vehicle. You should be ok unless the lady's insurance trys to pull some BS based on this cop's "false" report. You may want to contact her insurance also to report the incident and get the claim process started. They'll probably contact her and she'll admit she hit you. If she does that's all you need.
Thanks. I have a message sitting on my insurance guy's machine to call me asap tomorrow. I figured it may be a good idea to talk to my guy before I call hers.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bret97gsx
I was rearended by a drunk driver and he fled from the scene. I was 19 at the time driving a 1999 SS, and you can only imagine how the officer treated me. No respect, told me that he couldnt have been going more then 20 mph to cause the damage it caused. Needless to say it caused 9k worth of damage and the body shop told me they would have to backhalf the car to get it fixed right. I feel ya man, hope everything works out.
Its really too bad. I was as polite as could be until the officer told me he was going to pass on writing a report. You could just tell he didnt want to be there. I was really upset after that.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

This can go either way but if you're totally cool and respectful and I mean respectful like you're talking to the President, and the cop is disrespecting you or not doing his job, politely ask him to radio his Supervisor to come to the scene. If he refuses, do not leave the scene and ask the other driver not to leave the scene and call the municipality (don't call 911) and request that they send another officer (preferably a Senior officer) to the scene and tell them why (respectfully).

If it escalates, and he gets all pissed off and he does the whole "I'll take you to jail if you don't shut up" routine, tell him you are going to wait in your car until another officer shows up. Call the municipalty again and tell them that the officer is acting in an agressive manner and you are afraid for your life and that they need to send back up immediately. You just gotta play it totally cool if it escalates and don't accuse him of anything other than "scaring" you.

So anyways depending on their procedures, if a supervisor is requested most of the time they have to follow through. Hopefully that cop will be cooler and will get a non-biased report written.

Just remember the cops are there to protect you, sometimes you have to politely remind them of this.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Good advice about asking for a supervisor. You also have recourse afterwards by filing a complaint with the department. Minor accident reports are dreaded by many cops as 'time consuming and for the benefit of basically no one but insurance companies' and they pass this attitude on to the people involved in the accidents. Unprofessional, definitely, but also understandable. Cops don't join the force to do paperwork for the insurance companies. Many perceive it that way. Nasty system but part of the job.
By the way, if the cop really gave your wife (or any passenger) a hard time for not having ID, that is outrageous! This isn't a communist state, yet....
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

That sucks man. Cops around my area are ******. When I had my 84 Z28 I was headed home from school and was actually doing the speed limit for once. I was about to take a left turn onto the road that led to my house but before I got to the intersection a cop ran the stop sign and basically almost put me into the ditch. He had his lights and sirens on and pulled right out in front of me. I got home and after leaveing again i had gotten into a wreck about 2 blocks from my house. It was my fault but the cop that showed up on the sceen was the same cop that almost ran me off the road. He was a ***** to me saying I need to learn how to drive and he should write me a ticket for almost hitting him when he pulled out in front of me. Told me if he was my father he would take my liscense and never let me drive. He went on and on. So I started going off on him about the whole thing which shocked him and pissed him off. But anyways, Id def call your insurance and see if they cant settle it for you.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good advice about asking for a supervisor. You also have recourse afterwards by filing a complaint with the department. Minor accident reports are dreaded by many cops as 'time consuming and for the benefit of basically no one but insurance companies' and they pass this attitude on to the people involved in the accidents. Unprofessional, definitely, but also understandable. Cops don't join the force to do paperwork for the insurance companies. Many perceive it that way. Nasty system but part of the job.
By the way, if the cop really gave your wife (or any passenger) a hard time for not having ID, that is outrageous! This isn't a communist state, yet....
Cops don't join the force to do paperwork for the insurance companies. Many perceive it that way. Nasty system but part of the job.
O well i dont do my job cause i like it?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you want to see exactly what is in the report go to the courthouse or police department and ask for a copy of the police report. The Freedom of Information Act guaranteees anybody can see the report of any accident that happened on public roads. If they refuse, threaten them with legal action. I'm a reporter and have had to do this from time to time to get reports on other people's accidents.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skopers3
If you want to see exactly what is in the report go to the courthouse or police department and ask for a copy of the police report. The Freedom of Information Act guaranteees anybody can see the report of any accident that happened on public roads. If they refuse, threaten them with legal action. I'm a reporter and have had to do this from time to time to get reports on other people's accidents.

Here in Omaha the police dept has a website where you can procure a copy of the police report. I had to do that a couple of years ago after a dumbbitch whacked my right front. She didn't have insurance and now they can't find her. Too bad for me.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if thier insurance called you, just work with them, do not get yours involved. no reason to risk paying higher insurance due to a claim, even if they don't end up paying.

I was in a similar situation, got a $500 check with just sending 2 estimates to the person at faults insurance, no adjuster ever saw the car, and I had the same issue with the police not wanting to write a report (I was the third car in a 3 car accident, 240 sx hit a durango doing 30 mph, and durango tapped my car ) the 240's insurance called me to see if I wanted to file a claim.

Ryan
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What the hell happened to the part of the story about the person who you say ran into you?

WTF? Was a hit-n-run or what?!?
Why wasn't that person part of this report?!?

Couldn't she just tell the cop she ran into the back of the car?
Why would he argue about even minimal damage if she admitted hitting it?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Default crash

Any witnesses to crash? In Florida "presumption of guilt" rests on person who rearended you! No matter what the damage $. Unless BOTH drivers agree to settle amongst themselves a crash report must be completed. Insurance companies need your 411 ergo the crash report!Good luck

Quick Reply: I got rearended - Cop nearly refuses to write report - still worried...