General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Raptor Hood Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Raptor Hood Installed

Hey there LS1tech...

I just completed the installation of my new Suncoast Raptor Hood on my 99 Firebird Formula. The hoods been painted and on the car for a couple of weeks now, but I finally took the time this evening to make the necessary adjustments to get the gaps evened up as well aligning the new hood with the fenders and headlight covers.

I'm no body-man, but I'd have to say for being my first hood installation it went pretty well. I can't say the hood fit perfect. I did have to shim up the passenger side corner, near the cowl, with a washer between the hood and the hinge bracket as well as slot the holes in the same bracket. But it is an fiberglass aftermarket hood, and I can't expect it to fit like OEM.

Anyways here's a couple of pictures. You'll have to forgive the dust and finger prints. I live in Iowa and the winters aren't exactly the best conditions to be driving a muscle car.

What an improvement over the factory flat hood, huh?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite hood for these cars
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

my wife has that hood on the trans am
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Looks good!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it, I'm going to buy this hood soon, how long did it take to ship to you and how is the quality.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Love that hood. I would like to get one myself one day.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Nice job shimming it to fit! Most people's raptor hood looks like *** as they just throw them on.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Originally Posted by transambroli
Love it, I'm going to buy this hood soon, how long did it take to ship to you and how is the quality.
I ordered this hood as part of a group purchase on this site at the end of last summer, so I've had it for a little while and I don't quite remember how long it took to ship. Although I do remember the FedEx semi backing up to my shop to unload it from the trailer. (That was ******' cool.)

As for quality...

My painter said its probably the best fiberglass hood he's ever gotten to work on and mentioned he did very little work to it. Like I said, I'm not a body-man, so I can't tell you exactly what that means, but I'd say it speaks well for the construction of the hood.

When we test fit the hood, it seemed to set back, away from the nose. So, as I stated in my first post, I had to slot the holes that attach the hood bracket to the hinge, in order to slide the hood forward and close some of the gap. Not too tough. But once I had the hood on and slid forward, the back of the hood is just a bit out of alignment with the corner of the fender where it meets the cowl. Its just slightly noticeable, but its like the hood is just a bit shorter than it could be.

One other negative aspect is the bottom of the corners at the back of the hood rest on the the hinge where it pivots. Almost like the hood is a little lower than it should be in that area. I could use more washers to shim it up, but then I don't believe the top of the hood would meet the fenders as well. So I think I can deal with it due to the fact that I'm the only one who will ever see it.

Like I said, this is an Aftermarket Fiberglass Hood. And for being my first attempt at adjusting one to make it fit nicely, I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. I would definitely recommend one of these pieces for someone looking to upgrade from their factory flat hood.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

That is a sick hood. Good job on the install too.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Much better than stock ws6 hood, very nice choice. Nice install too.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Oh my god dude, that looks amazing.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Congratulations on a great looking car with that hood! I think that perhaps after the Firehawk hood, those are the best looking hoods on Firebirds. It looks like you got the fitment pretty good - better than I could get the VFN WS6 hood on my Trans Am with the same kind of adjustments.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

That hood looks great dude, I've always liked them. IMO they look stunning on a black car.

Off topic whos Camaros are those next to your car?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Congratulations on a great looking car with that hood! I think that perhaps after the Firehawk hood, those are the best looking hoods on Firebirds. It looks like you got the fitment pretty good - better than I could get the VFN WS6 hood on my Trans Am with the same kind of adjustments.
Thanks alot. I agree 100% on the Firehawk Hood being the best looking hood on these cars. (I did consider getting one, but I already have chrome Firehawk wheels and didn't really want to make my car a clone.) I have to say the Raptor Hood comes in third on my list, though. Just barely behind SLP's Ram Air H.O. It's too bad they discontinued making those hoods. Although I have heard they have trouble holding paint, I'd have one if I could. But don't get me wrong, I'm not at all disappointed in the looks the Raptor gives my ride. ******' mean!

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
That hood looks great dude, I've always liked them. IMO they look stunning on a black car.

Off topic whos Camaros are those next to your car?
Thanks alot, man.

The silver car is my friend, Dave's 98 Z28. He was kind enough to be the guinea pig last winter for our first LT install on a 4th Gen. Now all three cars are sporting Jet Hot Longtubes. If you'd like to see better pictures of it, I have a couple in one of my albums on this site.

The Camaro on the right is my brother, Tristan's 02 35th Anniversary SS. He special ordered it in late 2001 and took possession in Feb '02. He doesn't drive it nearly enough, though. It only has like 4600 miles on it. Sometimes I still can't believe I managed to convince him to add LTs/ORY to his factory installed SLP Dual/Dual Catback. I was toying with him the other day by asking him what H/C Combo he wants to put on it. He shook his head and I told him he'll change his mind when all he gets to see of my car is the taillights.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks nice.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks really good man. Your car is clean!
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good, ...,
Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again to all who have posted the compliments.

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Looks really good man. Your car is clean!
RedRocketZ28...

I'm sure you mean the look of my car is clean, right. LOL

Cuz that ****** has a freakin' inch of dust on it from being in the shop since like September. Thats when we test fit the new hood. I expected it to be painted in time to let me drive the car once more before snow hit the ground, so I left it uncovered. Then I figured, with the hood off, this would be great time to install my LS6 Intake and Valley Cover and also a RevXtreme Catch Can. I left it uncovered for that as well. Next thing I know, snow is flyin' and my car is way too dusty to throw the cover on. So there it sits, collecting more and more dust. God, I can't wait for Spring!

Hopefully you'll get to see it in person sometime this summer. Clean and dust-free, of course. I plan to make a road trip to Des Moines sometime, to check out you and your buddy's LSx rides. (I definitely want to see the HALO kit in person.)

Anyways, thanks, man for the kind words.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha I know what you mean with all the dust. We dropped my buddy's 396 LT1 in my garage about a month ago and there isn't a lot of room. Had to uncover my car and pull it out a couple of times to make some more room. I just left the cover off of it since I have been trying to get my Pro 5.0 to recenter like it should. Haven't been real motivated as of lately.

Anyway, I can't wait for spring either. Definitely need to have a get-together this summer with everyone.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

The perfetct hood!

Love your car man!
Your YouTube videos Rock!

Quick Reply: Raptor Hood Installed