General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Seatbelt isn't locking

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt isn't locking

With all the snow we're had here recently, I spun out sometime 2 weeks ago. While driving later during the day, I pulled on by seatbelt to make sure it was snug(something I've never done while I've owned a T/A), and noticed that when I jerk the belt away from my chest, it doesn't lock. I thought I was imagining things, but as recent as yesterday, I tried it again, and sure enough, no lock. I even tested the passenger side, and its the same thing. So what am I missing here? Does the seatbelt lock in the event of an accident (via a sensor), or do I have 2 bad seatbelts?

After tugging on it several times, I noticed that it locks every once in a while, but at random, and it is not determined by the speed at which I jerk the belt.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not jerking it hard enough!

Nah I'm just kidding. The seatbelt is a pendulum type mechanism that locks when the vehicle is in a braking(nose down) position. If you wanna be sure, remove the seatbelt mech. form the headliner(not difficult) and MANUALLY tilt the mechanism forward while yanking on the belt and it should LOCK
Old 02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD

Nah I'm just kidding. The seatbelt is a pendulum type mechanism that locks when the vehicle is in a braking(nose down) position. If you wanna be sure, remove the seatbelt mech. form the headliner(not difficult) and MANUALLY tilt the mechanism forward while yanking on the belt and it should LOCK
when my dad got hit in the back while he was in his impala, he took it down to the insurance inspection thing. To check the seat belts, all they did was tug on them to make sure they locked...they locked fine...
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
when my dad got hit in the back while he was in his impala, he took it down to the insurance inspection thing. To check the seat belts, all they did was tug on them to make sure they locked...they locked fine...
Thats because the seatbelt retractors used are totally different type of mechanism than the F-body. Infact, not many cars DO have the same design(in the roof), most are in the pillar behind the seat. If you really wanna be sure without ripping your car apart, brake rapidly while giving the seatbelt a yank. If it doesn't lock up, I would definately investigate
Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Mine locks just pulling on it as most others do as well, try two hard tugs right in a row or one long one should pack enough inertia to lock it.

The insurance company will probably replace those at no charge to you, its a critical safety feature if you tell them I'm sure they wouldn't want you to be without properly working belts
Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a bunch. That explains it! I tried it this evening, and you are absolutely right. It locks when the vehicle is braking/tiltiing. I nearly spun out again this evening. Damn ice is everywhere.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

sounds like you need snow tires, they make a world of difference i highly recommend them
Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thats what she said.

On a serious note... I was going to say to brake while jerking or to start by pulling slow and steady then jerk to see what it does. Glad to hear you got it figured out though. Maybe next year you can pick up a winter beater.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt isn't locking