General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Would I benefit from an x-pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would I benefit from an x-pipe????

Vehicle:

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L LQ4

I have a custom exhaust setup on my Truck and was thinking about adding an x-pipe.

The Factory setup is Dual 3" pipes to 1 muffler with 2 inlets and one outlet.

The setup I have now is completely "True Dual" and I think it might be affecting my performance and also kind of makes the truck sound like ****. I am using SLP LMII Mufflers and Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats.I am thinking about adding an x-pipe like this one: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9493

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about:

(Sorry, I suck at paint)

Do you guys think it's worth the time and money?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I always prefer the sound of straight duals (no crossover) or an H-pipe, over the sound of an X-pipe. But most will tell you that an X-pipe will make a bit more power than an H or no crossover at all.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I always prefer the sound of straight duals (no crossover) or an H-pipe, over the sound of an X-pipe. But most will tell you that an X-pipe will make a bit more power than an H or no crossover at all.
It sounds great at idle and under light throttle, but sounds like a friggin helicopter when you get on it.

It just makes noise and doesn't sound that great at higher RPM's.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (01-13-2022)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't like the sound, then try a change. I love my X pipe setup and think it sounds great, but other people may love their H pipe setup. Both X's and H's sound good and will make more power than your current setup. See if you can find some sound clips or better yet, find someone running them...or go with whatever is cheaper.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
If you don't like the sound, then try a change. I love my X pipe setup and think it sounds great, but other people may love their H pipe setup. Both X's and H's sound good and will make more power than your current setup. See if you can find some sound clips or better yet, find someone running them...or go with whatever is cheaper.

So...Not having an X or H pie is affecting the performance then?

I loved the sound with the stock cats and SLP LMII's. Once I put the Magnaflow cats on, it started to sound like crap.

I might just get rid of the cats, put the x-pipe in and get a tune.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
It sounds great at idle and under light throttle, but sounds like a friggin helicopter when you get on it.

It just makes noise and doesn't sound that great at higher RPM's....

...I loved the sound with the stock cats and SLP LMII's. Once I put the Magnaflow cats on, it started to sound like crap.

I might just get rid of the cats, put the x-pipe in and get a tune.
It sounds to me like you prefer a more mellow/smooth exhaust note. Getting rid of the cats (even if you add an X-pipe) is only going to take you further away from the smooth sound of the stock cats and closer to the scream of an emissions-free, old school exhaust note.

If you ditch the cats, you will likely have to consider a muffler change to get a note you'll be happy with, based on what you've stated so far. A piping change will effect exhaust note as well, but mufflers are more responsible for sound control.

Also, it would be easier to try an "H" before an "X", considering the current routing of your system; to build in an X-pipe at this point would take a lot more custom fabrication than just adding an H-pipe.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't ditch the cats, even with my X it is still somewhat of an unrefined sound. Much better than a Y pipe, but an H pipe with some good high flow cats will have a great tone and not affect performance too much. Like RPM said, an H would require much less fab work than an X with your current setup.

For reference, here's my current setup: pacesetter LTs, X + dynomax bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFbnIBUgM4
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

WSsick That sounds great.....

I am more concerned with performance than sound, that's why I was thinking X-Pipe. This X-pipe from Magnaflow would fit almost perfectly since the exhaust runs close together on the passenger side.

I'm sure I could just weld an "H" in there but I feel like the X-Pipe would last longer as well.

Quick Reply: Would I benefit from an x-pipe????