General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Openions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Openions

Okay so I took my car(2001 Trans am) to a performance shop (wont mention any names) because a lifter was ticking. So along with replacing the lifters I decided to do a cam swap while it was there. There was nothing wrong with the car when I took it besides the lifters.

Today I went to get it back and the following things were wrong with it:
-The airbag light was on
-ABS and Brake light were on
-The battery guage jumped around and mostly stayed in the red zone 18
-The service engine soon light kept coming on and off.

He wasnt there when I picked it up but I talked to him over the phone and he said it the alternator. None of these lights ever came on before today. What do you guys think?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

My guess would be that they left a few things unplugged. I don't see how a bad alternator would cause those lights to come on. Now if your whole gauge cluster was flashing or going in and out maybe, but I don't see how it would make a few lights come on
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
My guess would be that they left a few things unplugged. I don't see how a bad alternator would cause those lights to come on. Now if your whole gauge cluster was flashing or going in and out maybe, but I don't see how it would make a few lights come on
Yeah thats what I was thinking.. Its something they did. It never did anything like that until they worked on it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

The performance shop obviously has done something wrong in some way, hopefully something minor. If they don't or can not fix it, you may be helping others here by naming this shop. I would be quite
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Make sure the battery is charged fully. If it is low on charge, your guages, lights, etc will go a little haywire. Its possible they just wore down your battery and it needs a good charge. But a bad alternator could cause that.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
The performance shop obviously has done something wrong in some way, hopefully something minor. If they don't or can not fix it, you may be helping others here by naming this shop. I would be quite
Yeah I was pretty dissapointed. The are willing to work with me to fix it and not screw me over like a lot of places ive heard about. So we will see how it goes.

Originally Posted by zracer323
Make sure the battery is charged fully. If it is low on charge, your guages, lights, etc will go a little haywire. Its possible they just wore down your battery and it needs a good charge. But a bad alternator could cause that.
So this sounds like the cause of a bad alternator or battery? None of the guages did anything execpt for the battery guage and those few lights came on.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Most of those codes(on almost any car of any make) will set when the voltage falls out of a specific range...usually below 10V and over 16V.
Since your showing 18 volts, I would guess the alternator coupler might be disconnected. However, usually if the alternator is disconnected it will under charge or not charge at all...not the other way around.

Look around for any disconnected couplers as the other mentioned as well as any ground wires that might be loose.

I would not drive it until you figure it out.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Check your grounds. Lot's of crazy electrical things can happen with poor or faulty grounds.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Yeah he did say something about moving one of the grounds for whatever reason. That could possibly have something to do with it. I really don't know much about grounds though
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see why youre upset i mean i would be too. But he is a cool guy and i promise he will fix it for you. He wont let you leave unhappy. Thats not the rep he wants. But yeah man it could be what they are saying or def the ground wire. Thats what caused corys car to spaz out. And michaels vette has a battery issue. Its quite possible that one of these is causing the issue!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01z28Ls1
I see why youre upset i mean i would be too. But he is a cool guy and i promise he will fix it for you. He wont let you leave unhappy. Thats not the rep he wants. But yeah man it could be what they are saying or def the ground wire. Thats what caused corys car to spaz out. And michaels vette has a battery issue. Its quite possible that one of these is causing the issue!
Yeah I just talked to him again and he said hes gunna check the alternator and everything out monday so hopefully all will be good
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yet again. . . . Burned by another mechanic. . . At least this one is willing to look at the issues he caused.

This BS gives all shops a bad rep.