General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

best way back into fbody and being a 2nd vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best way back into fbody and being a 2nd vehicle

I'm not sure if this the right spot if not feel free to move.
I have a truck and have 3 years to pay on it and I don't wwnt to give it up but I miss my firebird

So what's best way to get one? Should I find one for cheap with 150,000+ miles and fix it as it falls apart. Just looking to have a bolt on car nothing special.

Or buy one with blown engine or trans for dirt cheap buy like performabuilt trans or have the engine redone (how much that gonna cost?)

Roller then find junkyard engine and trans or performabuilt trans

Any other ideas or better route?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion you should always buy the car in the best shape possible that you can afford-ultimately you will have a car that's in better condition so you can worry about 'mods and having fun rather than repairing things and just trying to get the car rolling again. How'd you wind up in a truck instead of a 'Bird? Work?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id look for one in good running cond. and doesnt have any major body damage.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

I agree with the first two posters. You want fun with your F-body or a headache that makes you wonder why you ever bought the thing?? A potential 'money pit' on top of that. No thanks! Get the best ride you can. Not worth buying junk. Never is.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

If I ever plan on buying a car to modify or a performance type car/truck, I always try to find one that is 100% stock. Too many cars that are modified are always ****rigged in some shape or form and that makes for a basket case in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with everyone else. Buy one in the best shape and nearest to stock as you can afford.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree with finding a stock car. Some of these cars are already 12+ years old. It's very hard to find a stock car that is in good shape at a decent price. I have owned 13 LS1 F-bodies. My current 98 Z28 I purchased for 3500 with 175k on it a year ago. The car had bilsteins,and a lid with Halo headlamps. Not to much but mods I would of purchased. The car just needed some paint. I had the car painted threw on some ZR1's,Borla,LT headers and a decent stereo I purchasd all the parts except for the stereo used and in total i barely have 2k in the is car. The car currently has 189k on it and has never let me down and doesn't leak or burn oil. This isn't the first vehicle I have had like this. LS1's F-bodies are easy to work on and parts are aboundant. Also a higher mileage vehicle that has had proper car will typically have the things that go wrong on these cars taken care of. Power window motors,rear end issues etc already done
Old 06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
id look for one in good running cond. and doesnt have any major body damage.
I agree completely. Not the best idea to buy a broken down, hacked up POS, even if it is going to be a project car. It's generally better in my opinion to start off with something bone-stock that operates properly. Even if it is going to be a higher mileage car, just make sure it has been maintained and serviced properly and it should be good to go.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im kinda in the same boat. I've been out of the Fbody or performance car **** for several years now. Looking to buy one real soon, but since im in Europe, my options are pretty limited. I will have to buy a complete or running car.
I would like to buy a roller, but its too expensive to ship engines and trans over here.
I'll probably wind up with a mid mileage car (80-120k miles)
Old 06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I'm in nashville and have 2 you might be interested in, both one owners(both owned by women), and factory down to the air filter. Both are priced around 4k
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Buying a car with no engine isn't a good idea unless you're wanting a dedicated track car.

The hoops you have to jump through to register it with the DMV is a long and dragged out process.

Finding a unmolested car with low miles would be your best choice but it may be out of your price point.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gm02ceta
Buying a car with no engine isn't a good idea unless you're wanting a dedicated track car.

The hoops you have to jump through to register it with the DMV is a long and dragged out process.

Finding a unmolested car with low miles would be your best choice but it may be out of your price point.
Its no different then registering a car with an engine. the key to buying a roller is to make sure you get a title with it and not just a bill of sale.

And I would just be on the look out for a clean car that runs good. There are as many people who rag on these cars stock as there are people who rag on them modded. If you find the right car modded you can save ALOT of money since mods don't really add value to a car
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Ideally I would love to find one cheap that the owner knows the trans is broke which is why its cheap. Then I can get the built trans with gears stall and shift kit. After that just suspension and maybe headers I would be done quick.

How bad is it to buy these high Milages cars 150,000+ miles? My first one had 118,000 and wasn't too bad but had to replace distributor which was a pain. Granted this was the lt1. How bad or expensive to fix the engine itself. I can deal with the small stuff but engine itself I haven't personally done before

I got the truck just because I had gotten a girlfriend and she didn't have a vehicle(her ex) so she was riding with me. Thing kept breaking down on us and she would have to call someone to pick her up while I fixed it. I just felt bad and I always wanted a truck. I love flying and laughing at people in the snow. Love 4x4
Old 06-20-2011, 02:19 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well for starters make sure to get an 'LS F body-that's a major reduction in headaches right there...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 AM
Launching!

Ya won't be having an lt1 again lol
Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

I would honestly stay away from 150K plus mile cars unless you get a good price on it because although the engines are strong. 1. You never know how well previous owners took care of the car and 2. At that point little things are more likely to give you issues. I would rather spend a grand more and get a car with 90-120k, not to mention the wear on the overall car is likely to be less.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Launching!

problem is, to get a decent mileage car, i will have to wait till i pay off my truck.

if i can get something cheap i can do couple grand at a time, fixing or upgrading

but i have seen some sick cars on here for $7-8k
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NotTyler
I'm in nashville and have 2 you might be interested in, both one owners(both owned by women), and factory down to the air filter. Both are priced around 4k
Hey, you got any pics?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Save for one that's in good shape. You can find clean ones for $6-7k.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Teching In

'm in nashville and have 2 you might be interested in, both one owners(both owned by women), and factory down to the air filter. Both are priced around 4k
How good of shape are they in? I havn't seen any that cheap around here. I had to buy mine up noth and I still payed 4,500. those sound like a good price