General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New to LS1's might be buying and would like some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1's might be buying and would like some opinions.

I'm currently kicking around the idea of buying a convertible 98-02 Camaro SS or SS clone. I just moved to a condo so I don't have a garage to wrench on the car. So I figure I'll look at a stockish LS car. I don't plan on racing the car but I would like a bit more oomph than the stock LS1 has to offer. I used to have a GN and while extremely fun they need a lot more attention when you start making decent power.

I became pretty aware of power levels vs reliability in GN's and with a stock bottom end the rule of thumb seemed to be 500hp and stop there. Of course some people went further without issues but the tune was the key. The thing with GN's is that they are 25+ years old and the they need to be tinkered with constantly especially after they get past a certain HP level. I know I won't be getting anywhere near that HP level with a stockish LS car.

I want a car I can jump in turn the key drive and just perform regular maintenance to. I also have to worry about emissions tests because the car will either be titled in Illinois or Virginia. So I want to get some opinions as to what to look for MODS wise that keep the car emissions safe as well as reliable. I also know that you can dump a ton of money into a car make it reliable, fast and emissions friendly but I don't have a ton of money either. I'm a working stiff like most of the world.

Bottom line I would give up performance to be reliable and emissions safe. I'm doing a lot of reading on the forum and have been learning a lot of good info. I'm sorry if this subject is beaten to death but please be nice to the noob.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

A ls1 Camaro would make a great car to just "jump on and go" as you mentioned. There are plenty of mods to add power but not effect reliability. Air lid, cat back, ls6 or fast intake, underdrive pulley, aftermarket "smaller" cam, etc. you can also pass emmsions with a rear mount turbo, but then you may be hurting the reliability side of things.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

NA bolton LS1s properly setup are very streetable and reliable. theyll even surprise you with descent mileage.

did you say what trans you prefer?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I don't know anything about VA emissions regulations, but I am extremely familiar with IL testing proceedures.

For all intents and purposes, you can get away with anything in IL. We have only the OBD scan test; no sniffer, no visual. In other words, as long as you get the proper custom tuning to shut off the SES light for emissions devices that you disable (EGR, AIR, cats, etc.) you can easily and definitely pass without them. I speak from personal experience on this, not rumor. Furthermore, the only counties in this state that even test are those close to Chicago and the IL side of St. Louis, the rest of the state doesn't even have testing.

So if you end up titling the car in IL, emissions are really a non-issue.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by simplysix
A ls1 Camaro would make a great car to just "jump on and go" as you mentioned. There are plenty of mods to add power but not effect reliability. Air lid, cat back, ls6 or fast intake, underdrive pulley, aftermarket "smaller" cam, etc. you can also pass emmsions with a rear mount turbo, but then you may be hurting the reliability side of things.

Yeah I'll be staying away from turbo's. I figure NA would be the most reliable. I'm looking at cars posted here but mostly I'm trying to get a good idea of where the line is with reliability vs hp.

The one thing that I've noticed is that it seems these LS engines can last forever as long as they are cared for and maintained properly. It seemed every year I had something new to do to my GN. Don't get me wrong that car was awesome and I still love the 3.8T Buicks but I'm looking forward to enjoying more time behind the steering wheel than under the hood.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all my years on tech here the general feeling I have is that having bolt ons or less with a good tune seems to be the best reliability wise. When ever guys start putting heads and cam and nitrous and forced induction it seems guys start having problems. From your posts it sounds like you're really emphasizing that you want this to be quick but reliable. Some well thought out bolt ons and a good tune seem like they will give you good power and your car will last a long time with general maintenance.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default Drag Radials

Stay away from Drag Radials, because if they hook some 7.5" rear-ends will start to leak. If you continue, you can tear a 7.5" rear-end out. Moser 9" rear-ends are considered bullet proof.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

jus buy it :-)