General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Back on road

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Back on road

My car has been sitting around,(garage/storage)for yrs.Ive had some family issues and such(lost my brother in 2014. my mom in june 2019) ,so I haven't time to maintain and run it like I should..I know the gas.oil.tires are old,so these should be the first things to be addressed.One thing I did notice when it starts is the oil pressure guage bouces and low coolant light is on.Im guessing OPSU and coolant level sensors are to blame...The a/c doesn't run cold ..My car is a 1999 trans am with 88xxx miles.Ive owned since 2002.Ive sold my home and now have a small apt..but they have small garages so the car is still inside but not really big enough for me to work and get around it in..In my mind I should get it out .,fix it up and enjoy like I did when I bought it.So I guess im looking for advice or comment s on what I should do.?this maybe wrong section for this but since im talking maintenance and repairs I posted here

Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 06:05 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say make a list of what it needs and slowly knock it out. Simple items you can do in that garage, hard stuff that needs more room might become aggravating. Sorry about the loss of family, my father passed two years ago, they are missed I know. So, getting it back on the road could be like therapy. Then if its still fun, enjoy it. If not, its worth more running.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

I dislike 'long lasting' projects but money is always the concern with those. Since working on the car yourself would be a serious chore, find a reputable mechanic and let him do everything at once. Of course if money prevents this, then obviously it can't be done, but get this baby on the road asap so you can enjoy it. AC in Florida is a must so if you do have to piecemeal, that may be project #1. Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2021, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Its been a while,,but with covid and all the other things happening,i figured id update,,unfortunately there isnt much my car is still sitting,Close to 2 yrs now,ive hit a wall of what to do.I love this car and ive have had it
close to 20yrs,..Im in my 50s now and ive always wanted a C6 corvette,,but those seem like a dime a dozen at least here in florida.You can count on one hand how many clean fbodys especially trans am here..Guess what
im trying to say is how do i get motivation to get this back on road before its to late.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for getting back with us. Sitting even longer is hard to hear and the only thing I can suggest to get you motivated is to start with any one item and fix it, whether the a/c like I mentioned last time, or perhaps just seriously detailing the exterior and interior. Do you like to travel around Florida? Road trips, for us anyway, is a blast in these cars. Being In FL lets you travel easily down to the FL Keys going over all those long bridges or heading over to the Gulf coast and driving over the Sunshine Skyway while visiting the sites in the Tampa Bay/ St Pete area. So much to see and do. My wife and I just completed a 5,000 miles Rte 66 trip in our Trans Am a few months ago. Look at these photos I posted and maybe that will get you motivated as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...am-pt-1-a.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...am-pt-2-a.html

Also, the prices are rising on clean F-body examples.so don't feel like your money is being wasted if you love the car.

I've had my Trans Am since new and I went through the Corvette stage as well, having both the C4 and a sweet C6. I always held on to the Trans Am and guess which car I own today?? Yup, still the Trans Am. It's my favorite car and I'm older than you at 66, turning 67 next month. The lack of space in the Corvettes finally ended the Corvette love affair.
I wish you the best. We hope to get that next 'update' sooner than this last one. Let's get crackin'

My Trans Am and Corvette rides on the Tail of the Dragon. Only the Trans Am remains.

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-23-2021 at 08:26 AM. Reason: photos
Old 11-01-2021, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Well,another update,,ive had bad luck, my dad has been very sick,,and in ICU h has a bad heart..Anyhow i got motivated on sat and finally got car out
all it needed was a jump box and it roared to life, i attached some picture .Its filthy and needes some TLC

Old 11-01-2021, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

That's a nice looking car! Seems like an amazing project to sort. As other mentioned make a list and pick what's most important and go after that issue. You'll feel more and more motivated as items are addressed.Wish you the best with your project and car!

I know from experience the hardest part is getting started. My 72 Vette once had to sit for seven years. Turned out was an excellent excuse to have a couple of good friends over that were both into cars. Biggest issue was getting the car cranked the first time. Carb had to be replaced then all four of the calipers and most of the rest of the brake system. Once that was done I could drive the car again and that was MAJOR motivation to address a long list of other issues.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterbirdls1
Well,another update,,ive had bad luck, my dad has been very sick,,and in ICU h has a bad heart..Anyhow i got motivated on sat and finally got car out
all it needed was a jump box and it roared to life, i attached some picture .Its filthy and needes some TLC
Nice T/A!
If it were mine I'd top it off with 93, put in a fresh battery, and head out into traffic with it.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

This update in very unforunate,,my dad passed November 3.Thngs got very hectic and im at a loss....so i put car back in garage but plan on geting back on road asap.. i attached a pictire

sorry it so bright very sunny here today in florida
Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Sorry to hear. We wish you the best.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (11-15-2021)
Old 09-06-2022, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

I am updating this post,,,,ive been through alot with the loss of my dad but im doing better and have gotten things sorted for the most part...My plan is to get this car back on road , fix everything
and return to daily driving....Il keep updates coming

thanks
NC01TA (09-07-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Went through a lot with my own father before he passed away last year. Working on the car helped keep me sane over the five year period things got way off the rails.

I too have a tiny one car garage, and ambition comes in fits in spurts. Anything can be done with will power, and you learn to make the most of the space you have. I fabricate in the space also

You have one advantage I would prefer - warm weather in the winter. That concrete floor is damn cold in January.

Take your time, work though it, enjoy the work. It can actually focus the mind, and you'll enjoy the final result better knowing you were the one who made it happen.
NC01TA (09-07-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

i apprecaite the response , i lost my dad nov 3 2021... He loved the car had a hell of a time getting in and out of it, but enjoyed riding in it none the less..Most people i talk to say getting back into it will help me .So im goona get things going here soon..
heres a few more pictures of car in her prime, i had the blackbird strip s on hood way back then.. i have a spare se somewhere....

NC01TA (09-07-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Looks like you're already starting out from a good car, so keep it up and keep the pics coming. Look forward to seeing more!
NC01TA (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad to see you back too. Best of luck with everything. Since we last posted, the values have increased even more for our F-bodies. Who knows if the trend will continue or reverse itself, but with V8 engines going by the wayside, these cars are 'keepers' in my book.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

It been a while since i updated this post, I finally got car to local shop .. i had to get fuel tank flushed .new filter and pump...I changed oil as well.
The car is running ,drove it around for an hour and plan to daily drive for a while....Im still struggling with what to do with it..still a long list of issues to cover'
Iil post some pics once i get her cleaned up.....
NC01TA (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Good. Enjoy what u got while u still can!
Old 11-20-2023, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Been daily driving car for over a week now...its running well considering its hasn't been on road in many yrs....It still needs a good hand wash and wax.along with tires,ac work .etc.Im going to slowly fix everything,.Here are some pictures of her out in wild,,People im my apt complex keep asking if i got new car, they are shocked when i say ive had it over 20yrs.....

NC01TA (11-22-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 11:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Glad you've got it back on the road. Appreciation for these cars only continues to grow, and those of us who drive them daily are now rare birds. Yours is a nice example!
NC01TA (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,,,Here in florida at least where im at there arent many fbodys especially trans am , i get a lot of looks and comments..
NC01TA (11-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Back on road