General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???

ive always loved the ls1 WS6's. im selling my gn rihgt now to get one. but the thing is, i sat in one the other day and im not to sure i like how the dash board is soo long. it feels like there is way too much front end. thats the ONLY thing that is stopping me from buying one as of now. Maybe i can get used to it, i dont know. im thinking about buying an 03 and 04 cobra though. the only thing about that car is that its a ford. what do you guys think?

Thanks

Jesse
Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 96 Z28, And an 02 SS. I thought about the cobra and even test drove one, actually 2, I liked them but they just felt like the interior was made with low grade plastic or something, it just didn't feel right. 20,000 miles and already a few electrical problems on one of them. I know the Camaros are built right, I don't and never will trust fords. I say go with the LS1, be it T/A or SS.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the cobra....**** f-bodies!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

You're going to pay the obvious price difference for the Cobra. both can go fast, it's just going to take a few more bucks for the LS1 to get there out of the box.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get the Cobra it's a better car. Face it our cars have way more quality control issues than the ford.
Oil drinking, piston slapping, rear-end exploding, roof ******* coming off man, lame **** that GM said "**** off it's your problem now" so I will never buy another GM product again.

Mine is long since paid for, but if I was going to do it all over again with a muscle car I would buy the mustang.

On the plus side the F-body is about as complicated as a hammer, therefore very easy to work on. Did I mention FAST.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all on what you prefer. Just because it's a Ford doesn't mean it's a piece of ****. I hate when people say, "but it's a Ford." It all comes down to if you prefer pushrods over modulars. I like both engines, but I myself, prefer pushrods. The LS1 is a 2v 346 ci pushrod engine (2 valves per cylinder and 1 total cam) and the '03-04 Cobra is a forged 4v 281 ci modular engine (4 valves per cylinder and 4 total cams). It also comes down to how much your willing to spend. Hell, for the price of an '03-04 Cobra, you could have two sweet f-body's...a WS6 and a SS. That would be pure badass. Or you can have one car and get the Cobra.

Both are very nice cars. If I could own 3 cars (and 3 cars only), I'd own a '02 Firehawk, a '02 SS and a '04 Cobra. Simply put, 3 of my favorite cars of all time.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Location: Butler county, right above slimey ass Cincinnati, OH

Hmm, something to consider is breaking that IRS Cobra rear on slicks, or have the typical ford electrical issues.

Other than it having a high *** resale value I like S/C Cobras, but I'd cop an LS1 any day of the week over the S/C fords.

Funny how modular blue ovals have to be blown/turbo'd to be quick/fast.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Mustangs are too cramped inside.imo.. you can get the ls1 T/A and mod it with the rest of your money that you would have spent on the cobra...but get what you like.. Just keep in mind that mustangs (gt, base, cobra's) are EVERYWHERE you look!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny how blue ovals have to be blown/turbo'd to be quick/fast.
I hate when people say that. It gets real old.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

id get the cobra hands down and i own a t/a, lol.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

I would go LS1 it's cheaper, it is fast as well, and I don't think I could stand the supercharger whining all of the time.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IRONBULL
Hmm, something to consider is breaking that IRS Cobra rear on slicks, or have the typical ford electrical issues.

Other than it having a high *** resale value I like S/C Cobras, but I'd cop an LS1 any day of the week over the S/C fords.

Funny how modular blue ovals have to be blown/turbo'd to be quick/fast.

Blondes, Brunettes!! Turbos, Blowers!! So it has a blower, so what. Chevy has great flowing heads, more displacement etc.. big deal they are both fast.
I promise you the Ford is a better car. And I bet you will break the 7.625" ring gear before you break the 8.8 IRS or not.

If you buy one of these cars are you automatically a drag racer?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Get the Cobra it's a better car. Face it our cars have way more quality control issues than the ford.
Oil drinking, piston slapping, rear-end exploding, roof ******* coming off man, lame **** that GM said "**** off it's your problem now" so I will never buy another GM product again.

Mine is long since paid for, but if I was going to do it all over again with a muscle car I would buy the mustang.

On the plus side the F-body is about as complicated as a hammer, therefore very easy to work on. Did I mention FAST.
yea but for the price of a cobra, you can take the f-body and put a 12 bolt rear in it, swap out the PCV system, get new pistons, plus throw on a blower and kick the cobra's *** AND have change left over...and if your roof flies off, it's because of your own stupidity forget to latch the handle??

fords will always be a shitty car to me. a great frame with **** poor everything else. granted the cobra has good engine internals, that's all its got.

ford's got a lot more issues than GM if you think GM is bad.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yea but for the price of a cobra, you can take the f-body and put a 12 bolt rear in it, swap out the PCV system, get new pistons, plus throw on a blower and kick the cobra's *** AND have change left over...and if your roof flies off, it's because of your own stupidity forget to latch the handle??

fords will always be a shitty car to me. a great frame with **** poor everything else. granted the cobra has good engine internals, that's all its got.

ford's got a lot more issues than GM if you think GM is bad.
Nice, buy a car and do all that work from the get go. Look this is my last post on this, and I really don't give a **** what he gets just trying to let him know these cars are not all that great.

OH and the roof...Hmmmm... My stupidity?? How 'bout reading this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=roof+bubbles
before you talk **** to me *******
Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Nice, buy a car and do all that work from the get go. Look this is my last post on this, and I really don't give a **** what he gets just trying to let him know these cars are not all that great.

OH and the roof...Hmmmm... My stupidity?? How 'bout reading this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=roof+bubbles
before you talk **** to me *******
i didn't talk **** to you, you jackass. if i was talking ****, you'd know it. what did i do? point out the obvious that if your roof flies off, it's probably your mistake? i'm sorry, sometimes the obvious hurts. i guess when you live in such darkness, the light really can hurt your eyes.

how often do you read posts of peoples roofs flying off? how many cases has there been? and how many have NOT been the driver's fault by leaving a latch unlocked or unhinged? i'm sure there's such a big percentage of us with our roofs blowing down the road through no fault of our own. i was simply trying to show the thread creator that he has little to worry about his t-tops blowing down the road unless he was silly enough to leave them unhinged. OR you could just buy a hardtop or a convertible? i've had 2 t-top cars over the course of 3 years, driving 30,000 miles total and have never had a problem.

i take it reading comprehension isn't top priority when you read a post either, is it? at no point was i saying it's of great importance to add a rear or a blower or anything else to your LS1. i was pointing out the FACT that you can make an f-body car faster and just as reliable, if not MORE reliable, than a cobra for the same and even less money. the person wasn't too sure of which car to buy so i gave my opinion. you'll have a faster, more durable car for less money.

and just for the record, not many people see blown rears or any other of these problems outside of LS1tech. you only hear complaints about it here because this is where all the big power enthusiasts are. the average joe driving down the street is not going to blow their rear, you dumb ****. it's people who are on the strip every other weekend toting head/cam and FI setups and blow their rear. not the average intake/exhaust guy that uses their car for a daily driver (like me). 10 bolts are not nearly as bad as we make them out to be. they're not toothpicks. they just weren't designed for 450rwhp.

now, maybe you can understand what "**** talking" is and what "pointing out facts" is. i hope that your SAT scores will be pushed up a few points with this quick lesson on reading comprehension (i take it you will need to take the SAT's as your level of maturity is that of a 16 year old).

happy trails

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-05-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Trutfully i love my SS to death. I treat it like a child but my brother has a 03 Cobra and we trade off somedays and driving that car is FUN!! People are amazed and some people have no idea what it is. It has Bassani exhaust. Now those Cobras are no damn joke. My cuzin asked me the same question. My SS or your brothers Cobra. I told him i had to sit on it for a while. Either way good luck with your choice.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

does anyone notice the very long dash in the f bodys? does that bug you guys?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

does anyone notice the very long dash in the f bodys? does that bug you guys?
You will get used to it after a little bit of driving. Its not to bad if you have power seats so the seats can be set higher. My v6 didnt have it and seemed like a boat because I was so low to the floor.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Oh I forgot to mention I went from a 98 cavalier to the camaro and that was a huge change for the first week. My preference is the fbody because I like their looks.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

i dont like the interior feel of mustangs, but hell if i were in your shoes man i would get the 03 cobra and just get use to it. very easy to make fast.

Quick Reply: Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???