General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My new car

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasnt it stock shortblock as well?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mellon
Interesting thread, I find it slightly hypocritical to say that the Stealth/VR-4 is plagued with driveline problems and act as if the Lx1 cars don't have any problems. I'm on my stock driveline with 160k miles. I also go to the track every tuesday and thursday typically and routinely pulls 1.6x 60's so it's not like I'm babying it. I had a couple of friends with bone stock F-bodys that busted the rearend and they make about half the horsepower I do.

anyway... I like all things fast, I even built a forum www.racevideoforums.com and video hosting sites for many other brands including http://vettefbodyvideo.vidiac.com if anyone doubts me.

here's a few educational videos for those of you who think the mighty v8 is the only way to go fast:

Mellon's stealth vs LS1 with 150 shot of nitrous
Click here to see Video

Mellon's stealth vs 400ci Chevelle with a Pro Charger
Click here to see Video

Mellon's stealth vs a gutted LS1 with T76 turbo
Click here to see Video

Mellon's stealth vs various F-body's and a 10 second cobra at the track
Click here to see Video

there's much much more where that come from...but I think I made my point
Totally agree that the stock rear end on the ls1 sucks; however you can get an upgrade and pretty much never have to worry about it anymore.

You still have to worry abou the TC; although it seems that there may be a solution there comming soon; trannys ( bellhousing ) synchros, driveshafts and so on.

Whats your arguement for the spun bearings? The timing jumping? We could go on and on. Again i actually like the TT 3s but why come to an LS1 board and start talking ****?( not you; just in general )

And you found 4 videos? Granted im sure there are alot more ( and you probably have them since you have a forum dedicated to race videos ) but how many videos do you think we could find that has an F-body spanking the **** out of a TT 3s.

Dont forget, there is a handfull of TT 3s's running tens ( 5-10? ) where there is 1000's of fbody ls1's running 10's
Old 03-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by neodamonkey
Whats your arguement for the spun bearings? The timing jumping? We could go on and on. Again i actually like the TT 3s but why come to an LS1 board and start talking ****?( not you; just in general )

And you found 4 videos?
Found 4 video's, u must have missed the point he was the one in all those video's. I have no argument about spinning bearings it is a problem, about the TC there are two solutions out now here is one if u dont believe me
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=25077
the stock tc is decent though not as bad as people make it out to be sometimes i myself am still on my stock TC. About the jumping timing, ive never really heard to many complaints (really cant think of one come to think of it) and have not experienced the "problem" yet...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

As a guy that formerly came from the 3000GT/Stealth platform, let's just say they have alot of crap that is unreliable. Spun bearings, trans, transfer case, lifter tick, ecu, timing belt/tensioner issues which can cause bent valves and major head work. If you drive a VR-4 or TT as a daily driver, be prepared to have problems all the time, and you better have a deep pocket to pay for it, as it will nickel and dime you to death.

I have came back to the fbody after realizing I screwed up, and will never go back. My WS-6 handles just as well as any Twin Turbo Stealth or 3000GT I ever had, so enough with that crap as well.

I'll stick with my good ole' American Muscle, and if you want your 4,000lb tank that will provide you more headaches than you will ever want, knock yourself out!!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by neodamonkey
Totally agree that the stock rear end on the ls1 sucks; however you can get an upgrade and pretty much never have to worry about it anymore.

You still have to worry abou the TC; although it seems that there may be a solution there comming soon; trannys ( bellhousing ) synchros, driveshafts and so on.

And you found 4 videos? Granted im sure there are alot more ( and you probably have them since you have a forum dedicated to race videos ) but how many videos do you think we could find that has an F-body spanking the **** out of a TT 3s.

Dont forget, there is a handfull of TT 3s's running tens ( 5-10? ) where there is 1000's of fbody ls1's running 10's
I could buy a billet Transfer Case right now.. in fact I was offered to test the prototype but turned it down because I don't need it. Spun bearings are due to inadequate oiling... same as every car. I don't know of any "jumped timing" issue. The stock timing belt is good for 60k and needs to be changed, if you ignore that it might break but that's neglect, not a problem with the platform.

I don't think anyone came on the forum to talk ****.. I call it education. And I'm sure you can find videos of a 3000/Stealth getting walked...10x the aftermarket support, 30+ years in production and 2 extra cylinders should make it pretty easy

like I said before I like all things fast, I just choose to go a little more challenging and rewarding route and do it with something different than everyone else around here.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TrAb
Wasnt it stock shortblock as well?
my car? yep, stock cast crank, rods and pistons from 1991
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tim Noel
As a guy that formerly came from the 3000GT/Stealth platform, let's just say they have alot of crap that is unreliable. Spun bearings, trans, transfer case, lifter tick, ecu, timing belt/tensioner issues which can cause bent valves and major head work. If you drive a VR-4 or TT as a daily driver, be prepared to have problems all the time, and you better have a deep pocket to pay for it, as it will nickel and dime you to death.

I have came back to the fbody after realizing I screwed up, and will never go back. My WS-6 handles just as well as any Twin Turbo Stealth or 3000GT I ever had, so enough with that crap as well.

I'll stick with my good ole' American Muscle, and if you want your 4,000lb tank that will provide you more headaches than you will ever want, knock yourself out!!
Yeah when u try to reuse a timing belt tensioner thats over 10yo it sometimes has problems. DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR IM A RETARD WHY DOES MY CAR HAVE PROBLEMS I DONT FEEL LIKE TAKING CARE OF IT...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Teching In

sounds like you all you could afford to buy was a beater... wtf.

btw my car weighs 3595 and none of them weigh 4000lbs, are you sure you aren't getting confused with a Trans Am?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Yeah when u try to reuse a timing belt tensioner thats over 10yo it sometimes has problems. DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR IM A RETARD WHY DOES MY CAR HAVE PROBLEMS I DONT FEEL LIKE TAKING CARE OF IT...

Who done that, you?

If you only knew how picky/**** I am about my cars with their upkeep and appearance. Nothing I have, ever gets done cheaply, I do it the correct way, and I never re-use crap parts. Period..
Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Yeah i know how picky u are about apperance im sitting here looking at all your post and for some reason there all about paint or something to do with cleaning the paint. Stop worrying about looks so much (well i guess u did that when u got your car) and start thinking about other things... Tell me your old 3si.org name and ill go threw there and tell u what u did wrong with your old 3S if u want me to.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mellon
sounds like you all you could afford to buy was a beater... wtf.

btw my car weighs 3595 and none of them weigh 4000lbs, are you sure you aren't getting confused with a Trans Am?
All I could afford? Come on.. Why the personal attack, as you have no clue as to what I owned or what I can afford? I was speaking in general about the problems with 3000GTs/Stealths. You know about them issues too(whether or not you will admit to it is another question), so stop the ignorant defense....

Yeah, and my beaters consisted of a 65,xxx 92' TT, 39,xxx 95' TT, 90,xxx 91' VR4, and an 18,xxx 97' VR-4, sure, I guess I am a "broke kid" who could not afford anything but a beater(at more than 30 years of age).

True, the cars are just shy of 4,000lbs. I was just using the term that most use for the 3000GT/Stealth(4,000lb tank).

Last edited by Tim Noel; 03-31-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Launching!

I think this thread is called "My new car" not a 3kGT vs F-bodys.

At any rate, I had the 94 pearl white TT stealth back in the day and it was a nice car. That car was quick stock and beat many f-bodys from stoplight to stoplight (AWD rules). It did however started to nickel and dime me to death.
My WS6 hasnt gone bad yet (knock on wood) but if I had to do it all over again, I would still get the F-body SS or WS6. Not only because of what is under the hood, but I love the T-Tops out in the summer!

Hail Hail for T-tops!

Last edited by aznspeed; 03-31-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

I guess I am a "broke kid" who could not afford anything but a beater(at more than 30 years of age).
Well there is part of your problems right there, "man were is the carb on these things"
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Yeah i know how picky u are about apperance im sitting here looking at all your post and for some reason there all about paint or something to do with cleaning the paint. Stop worrying about looks so much (well i guess u did that when u got your car) and start thinking about other things... Tell me your old 3si.org name and ill go threw there and tell u what u did wrong with your old 3S if u want me to.
FYI, I never registered on 3si, and I done nothing wrong with my cars. I was refering to all the issues that platform has. Never said my cars had issues, did I? If you want to be honest with yourself, you know that platform has tons of negative issues as well. Stop the denial..

I worry about paint and appearance as that is what I do for a living. I am in the field of collision repair, since you must know. Appearance and paint detail feeds my family.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Well there is part of your problems right there, "man were is the carb on these things"

Yeah, there you go, know it all. You got me..

Nothing like a punk kid playing like he knows it all....
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Teching In

I aint gonna lie to you i know a decent amount about the 3s platform. You really should have registered on 3si, the forum is leeps and bounds better than this one. When you post up you bought a new car on there people dont just sit there and talk trash about what a mistake you made.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

I had an old username, guess it got deleted. I drive a 91' stealth tt.

Maybe I think alone here, but I love my country to much to stab it in the back and support another country by purchasing their products. Your vehicle might be used, but I gather from your mindset that you would have no problem, given the budget, to purchase an import new. As I'm sure you are aware, the profit from that vehicle goes back to Japan (or whatever country your vehicle originated in), instead of staying here in the United States. You are also suggesting that we all do the same, and I'll put my foot down and say NO, you can take that import and shove it.

And don't pull that "imports handle better then domestics" because thats bullshit. In todays day and age, our cars are more powerful, handle better, and are more reliable then almost any import can dream of (pretty much minus the super cars). The only way that an import can make power is through forced induction. Motor vs motor displacement owns, so don't try and pull that **** here, where you know some of the people actually have an education.
I love how people are so stupid, and yet have the power to vote. It amazes me. Just think this through, really really quickly. Where can you spend AMERICAN money? In AMERICA. I'll make this very simple for you.

I give Mitsu 35K for a new VR4.
Mitsu gives it's Japan branch $35,000.

From here it can do one of two things. Keep the $35K American and put it in a bank (and read up on how banks hold onto money to see why this is a good thing), OR, they can exchange it, in which case a bank STILL ends up with $35K.

Either way, that AMERICAN money is going to get back here, moved around, traded, whatever, it's good to have money moving around. All transactions are good. Buying for 'patriotic reasons' is not only hindering to the country, but buying an inferior product simply because its American, why not go buy an American typewriter and give up your computer? If something is bad, you shouldn't waste your money on it, it's as simple as that.

Oh, and for the record, one of my dream cars is a slightly lowered black on black ls1 WS6 Trans Am with some nice chromies.
-Dan
Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I aint gonna lie to you i know a decent amount about the 3s platform.

If this is true, you know I did not tell one lie about the platform and it's problems/issues. Correct?

I never said they were not quick/fast(turbo cars). Some of them look pretty decent, but others are just ugly cars. JMO..

Park a 3000GT or Stealth next to a Trans Am.... not even close in deciding what is the nicest looking car. Fbody kicks butt in that category!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Park a 3000GT or Stealth next to a Trans Am.... not even close in deciding what is the nicest looking car. Fbody kicks butt in that category!
Sadly the amount of times my car has been called a Camaro or Trans Am in the dark kinda makes me cry. They are MEAN looking, I don't know if I'd say they look as good, but they are menacing.
-Dan
Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Teching In

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK your wish has came true