General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I shed a tear today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well any min now well hear some more expert words of wisdom from the peanut gallery
Old 06-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Wow, where to begin:

First off, '03-'04 Cobras could be had for less than $30k. Don't try to tell me I'm wrong, since I almost bought one for $29k and some change brand new. There was no markup...AT ALL. $43k? Are you ******* kidding me? They were practically giving the cars away. This is a blatant example of you talking out of your ***. You obviously see the marked up GT500 prices and naturally assume that Terminators were marked up. Ridiculous...

Secondly, they made over 8,000 Cobras in two years. Niche market? I think not. 8,000 cars built in two years is NOT rare at all. You guys act like they made 500 of them or something. It sure as hell isn't in the same category as LT4 F-bodies, 30th T/As, Berger cars etc. All of those cars you mentioned are FAR, FAR more rare. The buyers are still Mustang fans, who cares if they set out to buy a Cobra and only a Cobra? Don't be upset because they actually hold their value. They trade hands in the mid-upper 20s and even the 30s for low mile cars. If you list one at private party it sells in a day because it's too cheap. Like I said, go and look. People ante up $25k+ for these cars all day.

Ford Mustangs have a horrible history of quality? Where do you pull that from? Is it all the 5.0s running around with 200k + miles?

Face it man, F-bodies are in the same league both in terms of quality and valuation. They're both cheap, budget muscle cars. That's all there is to it. Like I said before, for an F-body owner to be so adamant about how badly Mustangs depreciate when their cars depreciate every bit as badly is just hilarious. Again, you don't drive a Rolls Royce, you drive a car that has more plastic inside than a tupperware factory. This "holier than thou" attitude you have towards anything without an LS1 in it is laughable. Can you read that even though you're perched on your high horse?

Have you not understood that cars ARE worth what people are willing to pay? It's the oldest saying in sales. If people are willing to pay a certain amount for something, it doesn't matter what it books for. Case in point, 1993 Cobra Mustangs. They book for around $10k and sell for $15k+. Regular fox bodies (specifically notches) in perfect condition don't book for much more than $5k but sell for around $10k. By the way, I'm going off of full retail values (how people actually value their cars, not private party) to get these numbers.

I tend to agree that F-bodies hold their value than "plain jane" GTs (the pre '05 cars), but other than that, your "facts" are just plain wrong. Look at 3rd gen. F-body prices vs. the prices of fox-body Mustangs. People can't give 3rd gens away and they're worth next to nothing, while the 5.0 Mustang market is as alive as ever. If you have a stock, low mile 5.0 (less than 30k), you're looking at $10k+ depending on the model. If it's a Cobra, it'd be closer to $20k.

You can't just make a blanket statement that Mustangs have horrible depreciation rates relative to F-bodies. It's just not an intelligent thing to say and it's way too easy to prove wrong.

Another thing: bmw3588, you say that "some douche bag buys a honda civic and pays very little for it, yet dumps thousands and thousands and thousands in it to make it half as fast as a stock f-body or mustang, but he still thinks his car is worth 20k when he wants to sell it, and someone out there is willing to pay that. but does that mean thats what it is worth? no." Well, yes, it is. He got what he wanted for it and thus that car is worth that amount to SOMEONE, and that's all that matters. You can crunch numbers all you want, but that still doesn't change the fact that there's an *** for every seat and in the "real world" (not kbb.com) cars actually sell far above their listed book values.

Take it easy, chumps...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my Lord, you keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole.
Originally Posted by 560SL
Wow, where to begin:

First off, '03-'04 Cobras could be had for less than $30k. Don't try to tell me I'm wrong, since I almost bought one for $29k and some change brand new. There was no markup...AT ALL. $43k? Are you ******* kidding me? They were practically giving the cars away. This is a blatant example of you talking out of your ***. You obviously see the marked up GT500 prices and naturally assume that Terminators were marked up. Ridiculous...
a 2004 mustang cobra's MSRP was about $35,000. okay, i'm sure you find a $35,000 MSRP car for $29,000 at a dealer. no one is going to believe you, and even if you did, that is not the VALUE of the ******* car. do you UNDERSTAND WHAT VALUE IS? if the MSRP was $35,000, then that is the VALUE OF THE CAR. if that same car is worth $23,000 TODAY, THAT MEANS THE CAR HAS LOST $12,000 OFF ITS VALUE. seriously, are you absolutely retarded? we're talking about VALUE here. you're talking about the cheapest new cobra ever sold compared to the absolute biggest ripoff some loser paid used. your thought process lacks ALL LOGIC. we are talking strictly value, and in 3 years time, a limited edition mustang cobra has lost 1/3 of its VALUE! that is HUGE!!!!!

Secondly, they made over 8,000 Cobras in two years. Niche market? I think not. 8,000 cars built in two years is NOT rare at all. You guys act like they made 500 of them or something. It sure as hell isn't in the same category as LT4 F-bodies, 30th T/As, Berger cars etc. All of those cars you mentioned are FAR, FAR more rare. The buyers are still Mustang fans, who cares if they set out to buy a Cobra and only a Cobra? Don't be upset because they actually hold their value. They trade hands in the mid-upper 20s and even the 30s for low mile cars. If you list one at private party it sells in a day because it's too cheap. Like I said, go and look. People ante up $25k+ for these cars all day.
should someone tell him they made tens of thousands of mustangs? once again, they made very few cobras compared to its V6 and GT counterparts. i don't even think i've ever seen an '03-'04 cobra on the road. i've seen 1 mach 1 in a driveway. all i see are GT's and V6's.

Ford Mustangs have a horrible history of quality? Where do you pull that from? Is it all the 5.0s running around with 200k + miles?
again, you refuse to quote me for a reason: you're a big liar. where did i EVER SAY "ford mustangs have a horrible history of quality"? once again, i never said that. i said FORD has a horrible history of quality. this is why people made acronyms for FORD like "Fix Or Repair Daily" and "Found On Roadside Dead." this is why ford has one of the fastest depreciating values of any car brand. ford has a history of poor quality cars. as for the mustang itself, how about you ask mustang drivers how their automatic transmissions hold up? let's see how well that goes over

Face it man, F-bodies are in the same league both in terms of quality and valuation. They're both cheap, budget muscle cars. That's all there is to it. Like I said before, for an F-body owner to be so adamant about how badly Mustangs depreciate when their cars depreciate every bit as badly is just hilarious. Again, you don't drive a Rolls Royce, you drive a car that has more plastic inside than a tupperware factory. This "holier than thou" attitude you have towards anything without an LS1 in it is laughable. Can you read that even though you're perched on your high horse?
not even close. the LS1 has a better engine than ford has ever made, all things considered equal. ford has NEVER made an engine that performs as well as an LS1 for the money. the LSx series is probably the greatest engine series the world right now in the eyes of performance per dollar and fuel economy. as for drivelines, both the automatic and manual transmission found in the f-body is vastly superior to the ones found in any mustang. i think the terminator may have used a T56 if memory serves correctly (don't quote me on that), but we know who to thank for that. it ain't ford.

Have you not understood that cars ARE worth what people are willing to pay? It's the oldest saying in sales. If people are willing to pay a certain amount for something, it doesn't matter what it books for. Case in point, 1993 Cobra Mustangs. They book for around $10k and sell for $15k+. Regular fox bodies (specifically notches) in perfect condition don't book for much more than $5k but sell for around $10k. By the way, I'm going off of full retail values (how people actually value their cars, not private party) to get these numbers.
so if i offer you a million dollars for your pencil, that means your pencil is worth a million dollars? no, it means i'm a frigging idiot for giving you a million dollars for your stupid pencil. cars are worth what the value of the car is, not what some desperate ******* with way too much money is willing to pay for them. you're wrong.

I tend to agree that F-bodies hold their value than "plain jane" GTs (the pre '05 cars), but other than that, your "facts" are just plain wrong. Look at 3rd gen. F-body prices vs. the prices of fox-body Mustangs. People can't give 3rd gens away and they're worth next to nothing, while the 5.0 Mustang market is as alive as ever. If you have a stock, low mile 5.0 (less than 30k), you're looking at $10k+ depending on the model. If it's a Cobra, it'd be closer to $20k.
great. this is LS1tech, not third gen f-body tech. anyone that expects a 305 TBI camaro with racing stripes and aftermarket cupholders to hold its value is an idiot. every f-body in question here is an LS1 equipped from the factory f-body, meaning 98-02 model years.

You can't just make a blanket statement that Mustangs have horrible depreciation rates relative to F-bodies. It's just not an intelligent thing to say and it's way too easy to prove wrong.
yes, you can, because mustangs do depreciate faster than f-bodys. even the cobras depreciate fast. not as fast as GT's and V6's, but they depreciate very fast for a short-lived, low production, supercharged, fully forged motor muscle car.

Another thing: bmw3588, you say that "some douche bag buys a honda civic and pays very little for it, yet dumps thousands and thousands and thousands in it to make it half as fast as a stock f-body or mustang, but he still thinks his car is worth 20k when he wants to sell it, and someone out there is willing to pay that. but does that mean thats what it is worth? no." Well, yes, it is. He got what he wanted for it and thus that car is worth that amount to SOMEONE, and that's all that matters. You can crunch numbers all you want, but that still doesn't change the fact that there's an *** for every seat and in the "real world" (not kbb.com) cars actually sell far above their listed book values.

Take it easy, chumps...
again, you have no idea what VALUE is. VALUE is not what some desperate lunatic will pay for it. again, if i give you a million dollars for your pencil, your pencil is not worth a million dollars. i just greatly overpayed. this is why when you pay extra money for a car at a dealership, you pay more than the car is worth. it's called a premium. ever dollar you pay over the VALUE of the car is a PREMIUM. if someone buys an '03 cobra for $30,000 these days, they bought a car VALUED at around $20,000 with a $10,000 premium. that makes them an idiot, and you still wrong.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

i love this guy, he's intertaining. probably a great story teller also
Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM
11 Second Club

WTF? how retarded is this thread!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
a 2004 mustang cobra's MSRP was about $35,000.

2004 Mustang Cobra Base MSRP: $35,485

I too remember dealer markups on those cars (at least in '03). Many people were paying over sticker price. Not sure if that was the case in '04 though.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I too remember dealer markups on those cars (at least in '03). Many people were paying over sticker price. Not sure if that was the case in '04 though.
Not to mention the $1,000 gas guzzler tax all the ones I looked at had. Some people payed as little as $20,000-$22,000 for brand new Camaros, but that's not the norm.
Choco.........2
560SL.........0
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Choco.........2
560SL.........0
what about me?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

that pencil! i must have it, it piloted 560SL to the LOWEST ACT score on record!!! ill give you 10 million for it!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
that pencil! i must have it, it piloted 560SL to the LOWEST ACT score on record!!! ill give you 10 million for it!!!!!

Ill go 10.5
Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588
LMFAO
Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

tell that to 560. i guess dealer markup only exists when it's in your favor i would assume there was more markup in '03 since the cars were new and harder to get since less were on the road...but that's just my guess.

note that ~$35,000 is the base MSRP. ford seems to have all kinds of body kits and useless packages that add no performance but thousands to the price tag. i'm not sure if terminators had any of those options, but i'm sure there were plenty of people paying well over $40,000 all said and done for them.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

and the peanut gallery has to say??
Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
and the peanut gallery has to say??
survey says!.........no! ohh sorry, 560SL does NOT know what he is talking about.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

lol.. and oh INMY01TA how come my names not talied either, considering i started it all pretty much lol...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Ok,

1meantransam - you can't bring up a single valid point about anything. You're the guy that thinks his red Trans Am is rare. Quick, someone call Barret Jackson, we've got a new record setter on our hands with that one!

Obviously all of you people have your heads shoved so far up your asses that you can't comprehend what I'm trying to say. Above all, you're STILL too ignorant to understand that your cars don't hold their value worth a ****, either, so what gives you the basis to talk trash on Mustangs for doing the same thing your cars are doing?

mustangs do depreciate faster than f-bodys.
FALSE.

Uh, hey Choco, last I heard, 3rd gens. were F-bodies! Wow, how stupid are you? When you make a statement like that, you have to consider all years of the car that were built, not just the LS1s. Ok, you gave me an example of LS1s holding value a bit better than a 99-04 Mustang GT, then I countered the the 3rd gen. F-body vs. a fox body Mustang.

By the way, these prices I'm bringing up aren't one time things, THEY'RE ALL OVER! Offer someone 5k for a 50k mile notchback Mustang and you'd get laughed at. It's how it goes in the real world, but you probably wouldn't know a whole lot about that. Seriously, your argument has so many holes it's pathetic...

You still go by private party value. In-*******-credible. That's one of the many things you are WRONG about. People don't sell their cars for private party when they go to sell them, look at this website's classifieds for ****'s sake. What do you not understand? Again, this is how it works in the real world, not your own head.

Ford has a bad history with quality? Oh yeah? How about GM? Hey genius, neither company is doing very well right now, so I wouldn't act like one is way about the other in any aspect of carmaking. Just because you give some 5th grade acronyms for a company's letters doesn't make you know what you're talking about.

You saw 03 Cobras marked up, eh? Interesting. Well I saw them discounted. Well, that doesn't make you any more right than me. It's a widely know fact that people were getting the cars for under $30k. I don't care if you don't want to believe it, because it's true regardless. The FACT of the matter is, if you have a low mile '04 Cobra that is bone stock, you can get $30k for it. WOW, that's SO much depreciation in 4 model years! Please...

I know they made tens of thousands of Mustangs. They also did the same with F-bodies. That still doesn't make the Cobra a niche market. If they made 800 of them that would be one thing. However, they made 8,000+ in a matter of two years. How about the 96-97 Cobras? They're worth far more than an LT1 and they're equal in value to a "top of the line" LS1 SS:

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...tion=Excellent

LT1 SS vs. Cobra?

The cars are too close to call. Sometimes the Mustang is worth more, other times the F-body is. If if one is "valed" at more than the other, it's usually not by a significant amount at all. You see? This is why it doesn't make any sense for an F-body owner to criticize the Mustang's ability to hold value. I would price an '03 Mustang GT vs. an '03 F-body...but sadly they stopped making F-bodies

LS1 a better engine than anything Ford has ever made? Interesting. If you can show me an LS1 that can hold 900 HP like an 03 Cobra motor will on a completely stock longblock I'll give you a cookie. I guess that means no cookie for you big guy! Yep, the Terminators had a T56. Yes, I thank Ford, they put it in the car. Who am I supposed to thank? GM? Give me a ******* break. Also, do I even need to bring up the rear ends in F-bodies? They're probably the worst rear end ever put in a V8 sports car. Impressive stuff. If the LS1 F-bodies were so ******* badass, how come no one bought them?

Here are my final thoughts on this thread:

Book value is a guideline, not the law. For some reason, you can't understand that. People can completely ignore book value and sell cars for whatever they want. It doesn't matter. What matters is what the market is doing and how they respond to the prices. You can crunch numbers all day but in the end it's about the prices people ask (and get) for the cars. Again, this is the REAL WORLD where cars actually SELL. '05+ Mustangs bring full dealer retail all day long. They're one of the hottest cars on the market right now and they hold their value exceptionally well. Terminators also do, and now even fox-bodies are on a BIG rebound.

You like to make blanket statements about things without considering everything and when that happends you get proved wrong time and again just like I have done with you here. The fact that you criticize Mustangs for depreciating when you drive an F-body is hilarious enough to begin with...

You made a stupid comment and you got proved wrong. Get off my nuts about it already...

Last edited by 560SL; 06-12-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's really an fugly yellow anyway/ JMO
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to see part 2 of this trashed thread. I just read through 8 pages of stupid mustang vs fbody bullshit. GOD DAMMIT IM BORED
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=560SL]Ok,

1meantransam - you can't bring up a single valid point about anything. You're the guy that thinks his red Trans Am is rare. Quick, someone call Barret Jackson, we've got a new record setter on our hands with that one!

The fact that you criticize Mustangs for depreciating when you drive an F-body is hilarious enough to begin with...

QUOTE]

Um, is this another time when you put words in someones mouth? i definetly never said MY red trans am was rare PERIOD, i stated that FBodys are somewhat rare in a manner of speaking. im not quite sure where your head is located but im pretty sure it's in you're ***. and also i cant bring up a single valid point? im pretty sure the reason you quit posting in my thread was because you got prooved wrong on everything, and im seeing that in this thread choco is eating you alive, prooves you wrong everytime and you continue to bring up the same thing he just prooved you wrong about, and try telling him he's wrong again. look here's a real simple solution to you're problem, 1)pull you're head out of you're *** 2) wipe the **** off you're eyes 3) take a look around, and then maybe you will realise what the hell you're talking about.

also when you say "when you drive an F-body" as in that cute little mercedes is where it's at is what you're saying?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Resident

Obviously all of you people have your heads shoved so far up your asses that you can't comprehend what I'm trying to say. Above all, you're STILL too ignorant to understand that your cars don't hold their value worth a ****, either, so what gives you the basis to talk trash on Mustangs for doing the same thing your cars are doing?

FALSE.

Uh, hey Choco, last I heard, 3rd gens. were F-bodies! Wow, how stupid are you? When you make a statement like that, you have to consider all years of the car that were built, not just the LS1s. Ok, you gave me an example of LS1s holding value a bit better than a 99-04 Mustang GT, then I countered the the 3rd gen. F-body vs. a fox body Mustang.
okay, look. i don't like to name call, i don't like to attack people for who they are. i only like attacking people for what they say and try to have some sort of basic respect for the person, but i can't take this anymore. are you a ******* moron? do you even read my posts? since you refuse to QUOTE ME LIKE I HAVE TOLD YOU TO DO MANY TIMES (because if you actually QUOTE ME, then you won't be able to put words in my mouth), I'LL QUOTE MYSELF!

this is LS1tech, not third gen f-body tech. anyone that expects a 305 TBI camaro with racing stripes and aftermarket cupholders to hold its value is an idiot. every f-body in question here is an LS1 equipped from the factory f-body, meaning 98-02 model years.
again, are you a damn moron? is your brain a pasta strainer or something? is ANYTHING being absorbed? i SPECIFICALLY SAID that the f-bodys in question here were LS1 equipped f-bodys - you know, the community on LS1tech - and i SPECIFICALLY GAVE THE EXAMPLE OF A THIRD GEN NOT BEING THE F-BODY IN QUESTION. the argument here is the LS1 f-body vs. the mustang - our community vs. theirs. as it stands, the LS1 equipped f-body holds its value better than the mustang in general. my car is maintaining its value about as well as a low production '03 cobra that was made 2 years after my car. yes, the cobra is worth more, but you have to look at it proportionally. the '03 cobra has lost approximately 1/3 of its value in 4 years. my car has lost about half of its value in 6 years. that's pretty similar, and while the '03 cobra was the creme of the crop offered that year for mustang enthusiasts, my car was the most basic V8 f-body you could buy, making it the least valuable of all. yes, GM's aren't the most valuable cars out there, but they hold their value a lot better than than the ford's in question.

By the way, these prices I'm bringing up aren't one time things, THEY'RE ALL OVER! Offer someone 5k for a 50k mile notchback Mustang and you'd get laughed at. It's how it goes in the real world, but you probably wouldn't know a whole lot about that. Seriously, your argument has so many holes it's pathetic...
hi, i'm the real world. here in the real world, i'll introduce you to the topic at hand: value of a mustang. the value of a mustang is NOT what someone pays for it. the value of a mustang can be found at www.kbb.com/ if a person pays less than the value listed at the above referenced website, they paid less than its value and got a good deal. if they pay more than said value, they overpaid. it's that simple. you keep arguing about "value", yet you don't know what the word "value" means. why?

You still go by private party value. In-*******-credible. That's one of the many things you are WRONG about. People don't sell their cars for private party when they go to sell them, look at this website's classifieds for ****'s sake. What do you not understand? Again, this is how it works in the real world, not your own head.
jackass. listen: the other two values listed are all tied to a dealer: the TRADE IN value UNDERPAYS what the car is worth. the suggested retail value OVERPAYS what the car is worth because it includes dealer markup. to get the fairest value for the car in question, you go by the private party value. that's what a person will sell it for outright: a person has no overhead, no dealer fees, no nothing - it's just what the car is worth. again, you don't know what "value" is, yet you feel you're qualified to argue about it. that's like you arguing what it's like to be locked up for 10 years in a red chinese prison. you have no idea what you're talking about.

Ford has a bad history with quality? Oh yeah? How about GM? Hey genius, neither company is doing very well right now, so I wouldn't act like one is way about the other in any aspect of carmaking. Just because you give some 5th grade acronyms for a company's letters doesn't make you know what you're talking about.
what does the financial status of the company have to do with the quality of the cars they produce? ford's had historically poor quality cars. that is why so many acronyms have been invented to trounce ford. GM, on the other hand, is doing poorly because of:
1.) the media craze for imported cars. the average media perception (i.e. car and driver, CNN, etc.) is that american cars are poor quality and japanese cars are better. since most people are stupid and believe whatever they read (most people are incapable of forming their own opinion and are brainwashed lunatics), they buy japanese.
2.) GM has poor internal management. they have a ton of deadweight loss. they were a poorly run company. they got by all these years because "they're GM" - the biggest automaker in the world.

GM has historically made a quality automobile. that is why GM parts are generally the choice for drag racers: big block chevy motors, TH400's and powerglides - GM makes awesome powerdrain and drivetrain components.

You saw 03 Cobras marked up, eh? Interesting. Well I saw them discounted.
this is in complete contradiction to what you've said this whole time. i thought people are still paying MSRP for them today? now, you're saying you see them discounted?

everyone can cut through your bullshit: you SEE whatever strengthens the point you make. you are a liar. admit it and let's get this over with.

you will find terminators marked up. you will find them discounted. THAT IS WHY MARKET PRICE IS NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF VALUE! some people covet them, some people want to get rid of them. the only accurate representation of value is the BLUE BOOK VALUE - the value you refuse to reference because it proves how wrong you are.

continued...

Quick Reply: I shed a tear today...