General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Skip Barber Driving school. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skip Barber Driving school. Is it worth it?

I am looking at the Skip Barber High Performance Driving course as an investment into possibly saving myself from crashing one day. I am wondering if anyone here has taken that course or something similar and if you believe it was worth it or just a bunch of fluf. I really don't want to waste 1600 bucks :O
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Launching!

1: depends on if $1600 is a lot of money or not???

2: I always thought driving around a smaller track on a open track day or instruction day or through the cones in a parking lot in my own car would be a good start. helmet and $100-$250 a day. The problem becomes if you toast a set of brakes or tires. Touch a cone or worse...... maybe $1600 isn't bad. I want to drive my own car not someone elses. Someday....
Old 08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've always wanted to go, if nothing else it seems like it would be fun, not to mention you might learn a thing or two.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

the money isn't that big of a deal, but still who wants to just waste it on BS. Not to mention time wasted as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

I've been looking at the Bondurant courses for about a year now. If time/money weren't an issue, I'd LOVE to take some of those courses.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

i did skip barber at laguna seca. only did the one day class(in the little formula cars), but driving on Laguna Seca was worth it. the 3 day looks very involved and might be good, but dunno. the staff was good.

I also do the FAASST driving school. one day, get about 4hrs of track time, in ur car(they prefer race prepped cars, but i ran in the SS). was awesome and i would look into it also.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just talked to one of the instructors there about the different programs. I think I will be taking the 2 day driving school. It is the same as the high performance school except you use Mazda RX-8s and Miatas instead of M3's and 911's. You learn all the same maneuvers + recovery techniques and take the same classroom course. I will provide a writeup of my experience after I take the course.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
I just talked to one of the instructors there about the different programs. I think I will be taking the 2 day driving school. It is the same as the high performance school except you use Mazda RX-8s and Miatas instead of M3's and 911's. You learn all the same maneuvers + recovery techniques and take the same classroom course. I will provide a writeup of my experience after I take the course.
Cool, look forward to hearing about your experience, also GM High tech just did a write up on the Bondurant course. Sept 2007 pg 38.