General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help me choose please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Question Help me choose please!

I've really really enjoyed tweaking/learning/playing with my Ls1 Camaro. Seems there's no problem that can't be pretty easily diagnosed and remedied.

Unfortunately, here in the NorthEast, the Camaro can't be the only car (because of the snow).

I've had the OPPOSITE experience with my 1998 5.2 Grand Cherokee. Weird little unexplainable things happen to it all the time, and I have to re-invent the wheel every time I try to troubleshoot.

Can someone recommend an SUV that would be very close to my LS1 Camaro in design, behavior, diagnostics, maybe even tuning and parts compatibility etc?

I understand that the GM SUV's that have the Vortec are a good candidate for this...? One catch, the SUV is the backup vehicle so it can't outprice the Camaro!!! (No trailblazerSS!!!) Prefer a V8.

Any advice APPRECIATED!!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I was sooooo gonna say Trailblazer SS, too. What about a used import SUV, like a used RAV4 or Highlander?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a quality SUV that will last and you dont have to worry about I would go with a Toyota. They run great and are reliable...and if its not then later down the road do an LS1 swap!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you're looking for is not very possible, SUV's are MORE expensive than cars. So for a nice reliable SUV is going to cost more than your Fbod.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welp, that Ls1 conversion is not a bad idea... hmmmm....

As far as the Toyota or other SUV, I was hoping to find an SUV that had some of the same design/logic as the Camaro, so getting experiece with either benefits both. Kinda hard to describe.

So, let's say I had to work on my throttlebody and say had to clean out the Idle Air motor or something, that experience would now apply to both vehicles, know what I mean? I'd like to find an SUV that would be so similar that it's easy to work on because I am already familiar with the LS1.

I consider myself reasonably good with troubleshoting/fixing my Camaro, and would like to find an SUV that this experience would pay off. I know, that sounds weird.

Another example, the Grand Cherokee has this glitch where sometimes you have to drill out the holes on your TPS sensor and twist and calibrate it. Such a PITA to have to learn all the nuances of two whole worlds of cars.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

My buddy used to have a Jeep and it was nothing but problems. Electrical, engine, tranny, wheels bearings......it just never ended. I'd go with a nice used Tahoe or Yukon
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
What you're looking for is not very possible, SUV's are MORE expensive than cars. So for a nice reliable SUV is going to cost more than your Fbod.
Not sure I agree with that. Like I said, it's a backup vehicle, isn't there some sort of Vortech something that fits my description from say mid-late 90's? My totally loaded 98 Grand Cherokee was only $3500, I should be able to get something for around $7k or less, I just don't know if there's one that resembles the Z28 like I am describing...?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waldershrek
My buddy used to have a Jeep and it was nothing but problems. Electrical, engine, tranny, wheels bearings......it just never ended. I'd go with a nice used Tahoe or Yukon
I guess that'd be my question to the group here, which of those (if either) would be similar to the Camaro? I searched and the LS1 wasn't offered in anything except Vette and Fbods and GTOs (according to wikipedia even) domestically.

So, what's the next closest thing in an SUV? Do these have similar setups?
Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh, now I think I am getting close. Thanks for the Yukon suggestion, didn't think of looking at one of those.

Narrowing the question down a bit: How close to the LS1 or LT1 is this Vortec 5700 engine?

Pasting from Wikipedia, they say the Vortec 5700 has features similar to the Lt1 (I have experience with those too, just hated the optispark).

The Vortec 5700 L31 is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.7 L. It is the last production Generation I small-block from Chevrolet. The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers very similar to those of the LT1 V8, but without the reverse-flow cooling. As such, the L31 head is compatible with all older small-blocks, and is a very popular upgrade. It offers the performance of more expensive heads, at a much lower cost. It does, however, require a specific intake manifold (a Vortec head has four bolts attaching the intake manifold as opposed to the traditional six bolts per head). The L31 was replaced by the 5.3 L 5300 LM7. The 2002 model year was the final year for the L31 5.7 L small block V-8 whose origins date back to 1955. The Vortec 5700 is good for 255 horsepower and 330 lbf·ft of torque bone stock. It is currently being produced for marine applications with minor modifications.

L31 applications:

* 1996-2003 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full-size vans
* 1996-1998 General Motors C/K full-size trucks
* 1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Suburban full-size long-wheelbase SUVs
* 1996-1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon full-size short-wheelbase SUVs
* 1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade

TBI L31 applications

* 1996 G-series Vans over 8,500 GVW w/ 4L80E\

Special applications

* Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
* Isuzu Box Trucks
Old 01-19-2008, 02:42 PM
tech memeber

All 4.8 liter, 5.3 liter, and 6.0 liter GM engines until 2004 (i'm not positive on that year but less than 2002 for sure) were LS1 engine geometry. Throttle bodies, heads, cams, all are similar and swapable. Most mods that apply to LS1s apply to these engines. Having said that I'd be looking for a yukon/tahoe with a 5.3
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kars10_4
All 4.8 liter, 5.3 liter, and 6.0 liter GM engines until 2004 (i'm not positive on that year but less than 2002 for sure) were LS1 engine geometry. Throttle bodies, heads, cams, all are similar and swapable. Most mods that apply to LS1s apply to these engines. Having said that I'd be looking for a yukon/tahoe with a 5.3
Absolutely right. Get an Escalade with an LQ9 . It's nearly the exact same thing as an LS1, just an iron block and 20 inches bigger. But if you're looking for reasonably priced, any 98-02 full-size Chevy truck will do. The all have the Gen III motors in them.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rushin
Absolutely right. Get an Escalade with an LQ9 . It's nearly the exact same thing as an LS1, just an iron block and 20 inches bigger. But if you're looking for reasonably priced, any 98-02 full-size Chevy truck will do. The all have the Gen III motors in them.
Cool, adding to the list. I'll settle for a pickup if I have to as a backup snow vehicle, although I wanted to try for the SUV platform.

I don't guess there's a smaller GM SUV-type like a Blazer that fits my description, I guess in the 4wd market the V8's are in the big boys like these Yukons or Escalades...

Maybe like some of the other threads about budget 5.3 projects wouldn't be a bad idea, like an S10 blazer or something. That'd be cool!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now you're talking, but it's not going to be cheap at all.

It seems to me, used cars are getting expensive, and even more the 4x4's. My 95 dakota 4x4 ext. cab 236,xxx miles books 3-4 g's. And it has required plenty of work. I always liked the toyota pickups through the decades, but even those with super high miles go for big bucks. What you and I really want but don't want to pay for is a tahoe, yukon, or avalanche. Do a 4x4 ls1 t56 conversion on an el camino, now that would be damn cool.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny, mine has been the exact opposite of that. Damn thing will probably outlast my Formy.

133K miles...'97 Grand with a 4.0L straight six.

A friend of mine is selling his Explorer... 2002, 6cyl, loaded, 113k miles with alot of maintenance done recently, 3rd row seat, new-ish tires, for 8,500 ,IIRC.

It's a really nice truck, if you can stand to drive a Ford. It's got cloth, but other than that it's nicer inside than the GC's.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Funny, mine has been the exact opposite of that. Damn thing will probably outlast my Formy.

133K miles...'97 Grand with a 4.0L straight six.

A friend of mine is selling his Explorer... 2002, 6cyl, loaded, 113k miles with alot of maintenance done recently, 3rd row seat, new-ish tires, for 8,500 ,IIRC.

It's a really nice truck, if you can stand to drive a Ford. It's got cloth, but other than that it's nicer inside than the GC's.
Thanks for the info but having a Ford doesn't help my cause.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I am now going to take all the information and google google google!!!!

It might not pan out, I was hoping someone would say "the '00 GM {whatever} is setup just like the LS1 using many of the same parts and even same computer" or something like that. I am now going to check into the various options mentioned in previous posts and see what I can come up with!

Thanks all, feel free to throw more ideas at me, I'll be checking here frequently.