General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question On 2001 Camaro Z28 Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On 2001 Camaro Z28 Ls1

I was at a carshow today with a stock 2001 Camaro Z28 LS1.
I met a gentleman that told me about this site and i can learn how to possibly gain around 50 + more horsepower at the rear wheels for free by simple little things you can do yourself... but i cant seem to find it . can anyone tell me a few tricks or give me a few pointers ??? i would really apprechiate it.

Last edited by truenavyseal; 05-17-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: add on
Old 05-17-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

the "free mods" are pretty non-existent, urban legend. Though the cars do respond well to reasonably priced mods.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

lol 50+rwhp for free...the free mods give you around 5-8rwhp at most or if that...there's a sticky somewhere on this site, just search "free mods"..but spend around $800 and you should be putting down 50-70rwhp depending on what you get
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by truenavyseal
I was at a carshow today with a stock 2001 Camaro Z28 LS1.
I met a gentleman that told me about this site and i can learn how to possibly gain around 50 + more horsepower at the rear wheels for free by simple little things you can do yourself... but i cant seem to find it . can anyone tell me a few tricks or give me a few pointers ??? i would really apprechiate it.
Then you obviously weren't listening - you were told that you could pick up a few horsepower with the 'free mods' and a 'good' dyno tune would free up a bunch more - up to 50 rwhp on the earlier LS1's, probably less on yours. Look in the 'newbie' section of this forum and read up the FAQ's and follow the links - there's a ton of info available on these 'free mods' and you'l find that they're easy to do. This site has some of the best 'tech' info available for F-bodies - I wish other brand's sites were even half as good..................

Bird
Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bird
Then you obviously weren't listening - you were told that you could pick up a few horsepower with the 'free mods' and a 'good' dyno tune would free up a bunch more - up to 50 rwhp on the earlier LS1's, probably less on yours. Look in the 'newbie' section of this forum and read up the FAQ's and follow the links - there's a ton of info available on these 'free mods' and you'l find that they're easy to do. This site has some of the best 'tech' info available for F-bodies - I wish other brand's sites were even half as good..................

Bird
agreed. and by the way a tune is FAR from free, more like 400 bucks.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

and a 'good' dyno tune would free up a bunch more - up to 50 rwhp on the earlier LS1's
This is 100% false. I can't even imagine where anyone would ever get a figure like that. It's WAAAAAY off base.

You will NEVER (and I really mean never) pick up 50rwhp from a dyno tune on an early, late, OR middle LS1 F-body that's otherwise stock or has just free mods.

Never, never, never.

BTW.... did I mention never?

FYI. I'd be shocked to see even a mild H/C car pick up anything close to 50rwhp on just a tune.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is 100% false. I can't even imagine where anyone would ever get a figure like that. It's WAAAAAY off base.

You will NEVER (and I really mean never) pick up 50rwhp from a dyno tune on an early, late, OR middle LS1 F-body that's otherwise stock or has just free mods.

Never, never, never.

BTW.... did I mention never?

FYI. I'd be shocked to see even a mild H/C car pick up anything close to 50rwhp on just a tune.

Disbelieve all you want - I watched it happen on a 98 vette over the course of a 2 hr tune. Probably can get the dyno sheets, but you would then say it's fake anyway....................................... so, you're right-can't happen.

Bird

Last edited by Bird; 05-17-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Disbelieve all you want - I watched it happen on a 98 vette over the course of a 2 hr tune. Probably can get the dyno sheets, but you would then say it's fake anyway....................................... so, you're right-can't happen.

Bird
Not possibile.

A stock '98 LS1 will absolutley NOT pick up 50rwhp from a tune. Not a chance in hell. Being a C5 makes that even harder, since the IRS will sap more power on the dyno than a solid axle F-body would.

I'm not saying it didn't gain the power, or that you can't produce a dyno sheet, but that 50rwhp gain was NOT from a tune on a stock car. No way, not a chance.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Bird
That claim is just absurd.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

this topic has been seen here MANY MANY times. for a few hundred bucks you can sell your stock parts and wait out some really good & cheap deals here to get you 30hp.