General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Factory Shortcomings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Factory Shortcomings...

I have a quick question for you guys and gals... Our beloved cars and trucks have some flaws and shortcomings from the factories. For example; LS engines are known to tick at idle, the 7.5 rear can't handle much power, the 6M hydraulics suck, and by my experience the factory truck locker and sunshell in the tranny are 2 weak points in Silverados.

Knowing these things and any other drawbacks or flaws of the LSX vehicles, how many problems or shortcoming are you willing to overlook in this generation or the next?

Trying to convince an outsider that he'd be money ahead if he ditched his turbo SOHC Honda and went LS1 is a little tougher when he sees me shopping for a rearend for my car or replacing the locker and tranny in my truck.

Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every car has its draw backs, and with us driving high performace muscle cars somthings going ot give sooner or later especailly if you drive hard, although i love my car.

talk him in to an ls1 bet he'll like better than the honda
Old 06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I have a quick question for you guys and gals... Our beloved cars and trucks have some flaws and shortcomings from the factories. For example; LS engines are known to tick at idle, the 7.5 rear can't handle much power, the 6M hydraulics suck, and by my experience the factory truck locker and sunshell in the tranny are 2 weak points in Silverados.

Knowing these things and any other drawbacks or flaws of the LSX vehicles, how many problems or shortcoming are you willing to overlook in this generation or the next?

Trying to convince an outsider that he'd be money ahead if he ditched his turbo SOHC Honda and went LS1 is a little tougher when he sees me shopping for a rearend for my car or replacing the locker and tranny in my truck.

Thoughts?
A turbo Honda will be not as reliable as a N/A Ls1
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

look no offense, you can't fix stupid, if your buddy wants to drive around in his turbo honda let him, if he thinks that his honda is better then lsx series of motor let him. It just means more parts for me!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When GM designed these cars they put a bad *** motor in them with a not so bad *** drivetrain behind them. When left stock and not abused these things can go forever. My 4l60 in my truck has over 155k on it and shifts great, but its stock and never towed anything or went offroad. On the other hand when abused things like the 10 bolt and 4l60 go to **** quik.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

So, we have truck issues?

GM offers a 36 mths 36K bumper to bumper warranty with a 5 yr 100K powertrain kicker on every new vehicle. Every customer, at my dealership, new or used, signs a waver stating they were offered and extended warranty. If you want a Honda go buy it. Thats the greatness of the USA, choices.

Since 2000 I've worked for Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Kia, Suzuki, and Chevrolet dealerships. All manufacturers have issues. All manufacturers have service departments. In most cases larger than the showroom. That tells me they all have issues.

I understand your comments..

Jakes Dad
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Thoughts?
Yea.
Great another LS1 VS honda/ford/dodge/whatever else thread.

Why waste your time, the guys just going to bring the gas mileage difference up and that will win his arguement.
What happens when his timing belt breaks?
Give a list of the problems associated with his type of car, you didn't. That tells me you're battling something you know nothing about.
How can you tell someone an LS1 car is better than his when you know nothing of his?

FWIW my brothers Silverado has 280,000 miles on it, stock 4L60, it had one fluid change, no auxillary cooler and he used to tow a boat 200+ miles every weekend with it. It's still going strong.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent engine
Attractive Styling
Cavalier Matchbox Interior.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mention honda's retarded timing belt.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Mention honda's retarded timing belt.
mention that its a HONDA...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thoughts?
The factory shocks are a huge shortcoming as well if you are into handling/good ride quality.
But look at it this way, while the fbodies (like all other performance cars) have their shortcomings, name one good thing about FWD Hondas when it comes to performance? *crickets chrip*
Buying a car made for performance, then modifying it > buying a car made for economy driving, and trying to make it a performance car.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10 bolts are only really issues in M6 cars, and usually ones with gears (aftermarket). I've had 2 H/C cars, one that went 12.0's, the other went mid 11's (had 4.10's), and this car should go a whole lot faster, all with 10 bolts and no issues.

The MPG argument is a weak one, LS1's get great MPG in stock form, most conservative M6 drivers get 28-30 MPG on the hwy.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The MPG argument is a weak one, LS1's get great MPG in stock form, most conservative M6 drivers get 28-30 MPG on the hwy.
To most import drivers and the general public for that matter--V8 or better yet fast V8= shitty gas mileage. They will continue to argue about it. And think about it, how do you prove it to them that an LS1 gets decent mileage?

I just do not see the point of an arguement about this. Look at it the other way, a friend is trying to talk you into trading in your LS1 for a honda. I don't know about anyone else but there is no arguement, discussion, nothing. It's just a straight no. So if the guy likes hondas he's not getting an LS1 period. Why bother.
Unless the OP is a car salesman looking for pointers.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
To most import drivers and the general public for that matter--V8 or better yet fast V8= shitty gas mileage. They will continue to argue about it. And think about it, how do you prove it to them that an LS1 gets decent mileage?

I just do not see the point of an arguement about this. Look at it the other way, a friend is trying to talk you into trading in your LS1 for a honda. I don't know about anyone else but there is no arguement, discussion, nothing. It's just a straight no. So if the guy likes hondas he's not getting an LS1 period. Why bother.
Unless the OP is a car salesman looking for pointers.
I am a former Honda fan boy just turned. I bought a 2000 C5 M6 and I can honestly say no comparason. The vette just ***** and gets simple as that. No waiting to rev out to get into the power band, better ride, handling, styling, the car says Im getting 30+ mpg on the highway with the cruise set and A/C on. Not to mention I can go to the track and click off a high 12 without even trying.

For about $1,000 I can get some LS2 heads and a cam. For another $500 I can get a nitrious kit and Im at 550+ hp. Thats a 200 hp gain for less than $2,000 with a tune and run 11's.

I still have my Civic though, because I dont want to rack up miles on the Vette with the 60+ miles I drive every day.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

The damn passenger side floor hump
Old 06-24-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

well then let your little minded friend keep his prize car. that really ought to tell him something about his badass turbo motor that won't even damage any of the cars factory parts. you have to pay to play, why else do you think that race cars only last a few miles before parts are replaced!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Reedy
I am a former Honda fan boy just turned. I bought a 2000 C5 M6 and I can honestly say no comparason. The vette just ***** and gets simple as that. No waiting to rev out to get into the power band, better ride, handling, styling, the car says Im getting 30+ mpg on the highway with the cruise set and A/C on. Not to mention I can go to the track and click off a high 12 without even trying.

For about $1,000 I can get some LS2 heads and a cam. For another $500 I can get a nitrious kit and Im at 550+ hp. Thats a 200 hp gain for less than $2,000 with a tune and run 11's.

I still have my Civic though, because I dont want to rack up miles on the Vette with the 60+ miles I drive every day.
what set up did you have with that civic?

I am by no means a civic fan but if you put a stock k20 in an eg hatch, you will get way better gas mileage than an ls1 and still get mid 13, you might get "30 plus" mpg but thats driving SUPER SUPER conservative, I personally dont believe when people say they get this incredible gas millage out of a f-body or vette.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

For performance yes, a f-body or vette has way more potential for performance(hell stock they are impressive) with costing about the same or a little cheaper than a civic with a k20 swap, but with the civic you get a better all around car.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I started the thead because I can't exactly put my finger on why I love my truck after it's let me down recently and my car will need serious upgrades for the power that I'm planning but I wouldn't get rid of it either.

The truck had the tranny crap (factory sunshells are weak and planetary gears aren't any better) and the paper mache' Eaton locker ate itself. Now I've seen 7.5 inch 10 bolts grenade on street tires and can envision myself buying a 9 inch out of necessity.

My wife owns an 05 Honda Accord and it is the most vanilla car that you can buy. I won't trade my vehicles for anything that isn't enjoyable to drive and would rather get 15mpg local in my truck then 20 local in the wife's car.

I mentioned the Honda owner because we trade barbs and it's good ammo for him when he sees my truck broken down or watches a Z28 grenade its rear at MIR. I just tell him that his car smoked before the turbo and after the turbo so at least it's consistant.

Just trying to see why we're loyal to our cars and trucks despite obvious shortcomings.

Last edited by JosephIV; 06-24-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: grammar suct
Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
what set up did you have with that civic?

I am by no means a civic fan but if you put a stock k20 in an eg hatch, you will get way better gas mileage than an ls1 and still get mid 13, you might get "30 plus" mpg but thats driving SUPER SUPER conservative, I personally dont believe when people say they get this incredible gas millage out of a f-body or vette.
Than you're wrong, it's not a claim, it's a fact.

On topic, these "shortcomings" aren't really shortcomings. Shocks that aren't good enough for the handling enthusiast is not a shortcoming from the factory, they perform just like a factory street car should. The 10-bolt isn't great for launching at the track, but it isn't a shortcoming because for a street driven car is is very adequate. Just because things aren't perfect for what we do with them doesn't make it a shortcoming. Heck if it came with perfect springs for the handling enthusiast, I could consider that a shortcoming because they would suck for the drag strip.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice