General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would you build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would you build?

This spring I will have around 35K to build my 98TA as a track only car.

Totally stock now and will replace entire drive line.

My plans are:

427 or 454 LSX with 9.# compression
Procharger (not sure on model or boost)
Power glide tranny
Moser new M9 (not sure on gears)
mini tub
wolfe 10 point weld in roll cage
all of the suspension parts needed.

removing AC and anything else I don't need for a track only car. Still want interior panels, hate the look of a shell car.

hoping for a car that makes around 600-700 rwhp that is fairly reliable with the power adder cool factor.

not trying to shatter any records, just want a fun track only car that runs mid to high 9's and will last more than one season without major repairs.

I know I do not need a procharger to get 9's with a new LSX but just love the ones I have seen at the track.

So, what would you change?

thanks for any replies.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I think you could save money by skipping the LSX 427/454 route which I think will also be better for you if you're going to be adding a power adder.

A local racer out my way has a forged 347 I believe with a Procharger and he was running 10.30s on a 17 inch DR.

It is my understanding that if you are going Turbo or S/C you should go with an 370CI or smaller. At least that is what I'v seen guys running with great success....

In the end it is what you want
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

I would also save your TA unless it is just beat to **** and buy a Firebird roller since you'll be stripping it anyways......
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

paid 7k for the TA with the intent of building this toy. it has 120,000 miles on it when bought 3 years ago. its in really good condition for its age/miles.

thanks for the input on smaller cubes. why would a larger cube motor not benefit from boost like a small cube motor?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree on going smaller cubes. I have a forged 347 with a D1 procharger at 12psi and I am making 600rwhp. should get me in the low 10s just need to get to the track now. And the car is very reliable like this. I still have AC drives great on the street. If your goal is even a low 9 car you could do it with a 370ci motor a D1 and a TH400 and you wouldn't have to tube the car. KP is doing it and still has most of his interior.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But wouldn't a LSX be more suited for race/track use than a 347 or 370? 6 bolt heads, priority oiling, etc. Less chance of breaking?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Those forged 347s and 370 are holding up. The reason I chose the smaller cube motor is that I have been told time and time again they are better for high boost, and are quicker revving..... who knows if that is true as I'm not an engine builder.

Also a 427, 454 Procharged engine would be a low of power off the line and you would have to focus even more on your launches, at least that is my opinion. I'm sure some guys would tell you different.

I would still buy a V6 Firebird shell if I was you. No reason to cut up a perfect car but once again it is your car so this will be the last time I touch that subject.

I would look in the Drag Racing section and Dyno section for build similar to yours and go from there.....
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the biggest issue is that you don't really need all those cubes if you are using a power adder. You can get more than enough power out of a plain old LQ4 with good guts and some good heads. The only advantage of the big cube engines is that you'll have more torque down low (as previously stated). That is also a debatable thing--do you really want to fight with making all that torque stick to the ground through the first 60', 330', even 660 feet? You can spend your money in better places than the LSX block if you aren't trying to break records--those things are for people trying to make 2000 plus horsepower. An LQ4 block will handle more than enough power to do what (it sounds like) you are after.

P.S. I have to agree with Kingc8r on your car. I hate to see people hack up real T/A cars, but then again, it is yours.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

It's good to know someone agrees =D
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the input. I know its a sin to hack up a TA. I had a brand new 2001 and put 17k into it. nothing hacked, full interior and due to a bad tune the motor blew. I had to sell it at a loss because at the time I could not afford to keep it and buy another daily driver.

other than removing a lot of stuff, I do not plan on hacking. the mini tub is just an idea for now incase if I get the urge to go for more power/speed.

My goal is to keep this car as my toy for as long as I can drive. I just turned 50 and finally will be in a position where I will be debt free in a few months(other than utilities) and can afford to finally fix up my toy and buy a couple other toys, used viper and new convertable challenger or convertable camaro when they come out. always loved cars and racing.

its just me being old and wanting a TA with a supercharged 455.(ok 454)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Launching!

lsx block w/power adder is a serious motor if your not trying to get in the 7,8,9's it's an overkill LMR has a LSX 408 single turbo that make 2000hp they have an lsx454 in a Ws6 that makes 624rwhp 578rwtq ALL MOTOR.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

I know it would be overkill, did not know there was anything wrong with that. I figure big cubes will let me run with small amount of boost and very mild tune, which in my old mind = more reliable. And if I do get crazy enough to want to try for 8's, I am there with just a tune and little higher boost. I have a $3,000 stereo in my regular cab truck and rarely turn it up. its overkill but I can turn it up when I want and that to me is the point of a toy.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

If you're after 600+ horses and really want that LSX block, why not go after making the power on motor with big cubes? I'd run a TH400 in mine, so I'd have that third gear for cruises and beer runs. It's a stout transmission out of the box and more than up to the task when built.

If it were me, I'd save a little by buying a built roller and turn the T/A into one hell of a street car. Maggied, forged, stalled, slammed, and geared with a 9" hanging off the ***. But, you specified track-only and I'm not one to argue with you. You could minimize costs by selling off the drivetrain, interior, wheels, and everything else you hack out.

Cut that bastard up!

Edit: I've always had a thing for turbochargers and the wonders of boost control. Build her to take the power, and add a little boost as your get more and more comfortable with the thing. Forged 347 and a nice single set up would be cool.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys,

I guess I should not of used the work hack. I love the look of a TA and have had 6 fbodies since 1978. only hacking I would do is the mini tub ONLY if I could not get any traction. I don't consider adding a 10 point cage as hacking up a car. Am I wrong? I know it would require holes through the dash but its a safety feature not a hack to me.

My goal is to make this my track only toy, other plans include a used viper for weekend drives, you can get a really nice 1st,2nd gen for around 40-45K now because of the economy. And buy a Camaro or Challenger as a daily driver. I am not rich, I do have a good job and all bills will be paid off in a few months leaving me with money to finally buy the toys I have always dreamed about. Good to be a grandpa.

I guess removing AC and other items might be considered hacking up a car.

Last edited by dads toy; 07-31-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: add more