General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question to those who use the turkey baster power steering fluid change method

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question to those who use the turkey baster power steering fluid change method

soooo my pump has been whining forever now, and need it to survive one more autox before I replace it. bought some cheap prestone fluid to put in there just because the fluid has never been changed before.

I would empty some fluid, add new, turn wheel lock to lock 10 or 15 times, and repeat. did it for 2 quarts of fluid and it's still pretty blackish/brownish/orange. the fluid I was adding was clear.

how long did it take your fluid to clear up for the most part? just trying to figure out if maybe my power steering fluid and coolant are mixing and that's why it's not getting any clearer.

thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the turkey baster on the wife's Olds. Did it twice and the fluid came cleanish.

On the TA, I flushed it properly. You might want to do the same before you change the pump, in order to clean all the shitty fluid out of the rack. Two man job, though:

Unplug the pump resovoir return line into a drain pan and plug the bottom of the pump with a cap. Have your assistant start the engine, while turning the wheel left to right. You have to fill the fluid like a bastard to keep up. I ran 2 quarts through it. Reattached lines and fill to proper level. I did this a few days ago, and the fluid is so clear, it's hard to read it on the cap dipstick.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah I plan on doing a complete flush when I swap the pump. I'll be switching to Redline synthetic fluid then, but I didn't wanna dump $50 on fluid that I'll only be using for 2 weeks hahah. didn't really feel like making a mess and making a big deal of it so I just tried the quick and easy way. I was just surprised it didn't get cleaner.

seems like it'd be milky if the coolant was mixing with the power steering fluid though
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

man I did for like an hour and never got it clear
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
yeah I plan on doing a complete flush when I swap the pump. I'll be switching to Redline synthetic fluid then, but I didn't wanna dump $50 on fluid that I'll only be using for 2 weeks hahah. didn't really feel like making a mess and making a big deal of it so I just tried the quick and easy way. I was just surprised it didn't get cleaner.

seems like it'd be milky if the coolant was mixing with the power steering fluid though
I gunned the factory PS cooler while I had the system open, and just bypassed it.

If you're running auto X, install a proper oil to air external cooler.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

I was considering buying the 98 base upper radiator hose to delete it. With a reduced flow pump and redline fluid I think it'll be alright without a cooler, but for the price I'm considering it just to be safe. Not quite sure where I'd mount it though since I have an SSRA and might do a trans cooler eventually too.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I used an upper hose for a non-PS cooler car. Dayco # was 71981.

I don't know what SSRA is, but a member on here, LS6427 had pics of a PS cooler installation posted on here recently.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

"super sucker ram air" hahah, a lot like the fast toys ram air kit

i'll look around, thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: question to those who use the turkey baster power steering fluid change method