General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

failed inspection because of loose tilt wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed inspection because of loose tilt wheel??

So my car (96 lt1) failed inspection today because apparently the tilt wheel adjustment or whatever is loose. If you push somewhat hard (more than normal) the wheel will fall -- never realized this until it failed inspection. The shop wanted $250 to repair it.

Can anyone point my in the right direction as to how to go about repairing this?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fix - go to another inspection shop. I've never, ever, heard of someone checking something like that. Here in NC they check the computer, do a visual, check lights, horn, and send you on your way.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah..I know it's ridiculous. The crazy thing is I take my car to this guy every year and I doubt it was driven more than 3k miles since the last inspection.

Actually I need to get into the steering column anyway to replace the turn signal switch..
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my truck inspected 2 weeks ago. I have 35% legal tint and have taken the truck to the same place for the last 4 years, same tint, same truck, same guy. He checked my tint for the first time. Evidentally they're cracking down on alot of things. I asked him about it and he said he got busted 3 months ago and it was a $700 fine. He said as long as it was legal he didn't charge extra.

On the plus side, he told me when I asked about it that if my camaro had no check engine lights and what "appeared" to be cats (mine are gutted high flows) he'd pass it no problem.

Sorry, no help other than that. I pulled the steering column apart on my 67, but something as new as this with an air bag would scare me to take apart.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The guy was probably having a bad day, who knows? lol
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i never heard of checking that. that sucks.

find someone wholl pass it.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
Yeah..I know it's ridiculous. The crazy thing is I take my car to this guy every year and I doubt it was driven more than 3k miles since the last inspection.

Actually I need to get into the steering column anyway to replace the turn signal switch..
$250 sounds like a pretty good price to me. Its a total PITA to get to. Plus, the install of the turn signal switch should be included because you will need to take the thing completely out in order to get to the tilt mechanism.

I have a guide on how to get down close to the tilt mechanism, but some additional dis-assembly will be required. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

This guide is not exact to our columns, but its 97% the same and good enough to guide you through getting to the tilt. http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jaz...ck_Rebuild.pdf
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsu602
I got my truck inspected 2 weeks ago. I have 35% legal tint and have taken the truck to the same place for the last 4 years, same tint, same truck, same guy. He checked my tint for the first time. Evidentally they're cracking down on alot of things. I asked him about it and he said he got busted 3 months ago and it was a $700 fine. He said as long as it was legal he didn't charge extra.

On the plus side, he told me when I asked about it that if my camaro had no check engine lights and what "appeared" to be cats (mine are gutted high flows) he'd pass it no problem.

Sorry, no help other than that. I pulled the steering column apart on my 67, but something as new as this with an air bag would scare me to take apart.
Can I ask how do you get around the rear O2 sensor not throwing a SES? My cats are shot and am thinking of gutting them but........I spoke with a guy and he said he wanted $450 for a tune to get rid of the light? I live in Charlotte NC
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1121
Can I ask how do you get around the rear O2 sensor not throwing a SES? My cats are shot and am thinking of gutting them but........I spoke with a guy and he said he wanted $450 for a tune to get rid of the light? I live in Charlotte NC
Nick Williams tune with the cam swap

Ask around on here, somebody surely would be able to help you out alot cheaper than that with HP Tuners, especially just to tune out the light.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering wheel really isn't that difficult to get into if you have the tools. My 98 Firebird needed the bracket that goes from the turn signal lever to the mechanism on the column and it was done within a couple hours. Just BE SURE TO DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY if you try it yourself. The only real problem is a little tiny ring that's a PITA to get back on.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
get simulators
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
get simulators

Id just pay for a tune and get them shut off, the simulators dont always work to well imo
Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Teching In

i failed my inspection for the exact same reason. Tilt was lose (seemed fine to me though)
I paid pretty much that price to get them to tighten it up.

I also failed because one of my license plate lights was burnt and my DR lights were off, ( I removed the sensor so the flip lights wouldn't pop up automatically).

I have to fix all that, including that stupid sensor that i had just removed, got it to pass, then removed the sensor in their parking lot and went off my marry way.

oh yeah, they also failed me for one of my rear lights being darker then the other one (you know the known issue on our lights, the glass/plastic gets darker)

There is no one harder on inspection then the province of Quebec in Canada, you can't bring it to any shop, it has to be one of like 10 certified Quebec inspection office and then they send you to another mechanic if you fail. oil leak anywhere. FAIL, hand brake doesn't work as well as it should on an automatic, fail, 1 bulb out, fail... the person ahead of me failed because there was a bolt missing in one of her bumper.

I guess the good thing about it is when you pass it, you know you have a good car

I've owned 10 cars and not 1 has ever passed on the first try.

Last edited by razz; 03-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: failed inspection because of loose tilt wheel??