General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how Sea foam compares to GM Top engine cleaner...The process is the same,as are the results as far as the smoke shows are concerened.
I've got two cars to do..My '98 LS1 was only able to take 16 degrees of timing due to an over active PCV system which pulled way too much oil into the cylinders..I have to do this before Jermy F gets his hands back on it on the dyno.
The other car is my newly aquired 190k Mustang 5.0.
That one should be interesting..
One thing I've always been afraid of was hydrolocking an engine during the process of dumping straight liquid into the combustion chambers..I've heard of horror stories..
I've come close..I seafoamed a car & let it sit for the recommended amount of time..When I went to start the car..The starter( A hi-torque mini) got two cranks before the engine abruptly stopped turning..I had to pull the plugs & let the stater free spin the engine until all the liquid still present in the cylinders was forced out..Then it was fine.I put the plugs back in & it started right up.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well my 95 is due for a oil change real soon should I do the full treatment before I do though. Also I have a new fuel filter that I will change after the treatment because I think I got some bad gas and it is real hesitant off the line. My question is this, after seafoaming the car and going out for a drive will I get in trouble with the law for throwing out that much smoke? I get looked at enought driving normal and I dont know what will happen driving with 50 feet of black smoke behind me. If someone could chime in and answer these questions for I would appriate it alot.
-Thanks Brandon
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 AM
11 Second Truck Club

If it makes any difference, the cloud of smoke will be white...tell 'em you're spraying for mosquitoes...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Its not black I thought I saw a video of black smoke pouring out.
-Brandon
Old 10-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1_man
Ok well my 95 is due for a oil change real soon should I do the full treatment before I do though. Also I have a new fuel filter that I will change after the treatment because I think I got some bad gas and it is real hesitant off the line. My question is this, after seafoaming the car and going out for a drive will I get in trouble with the law for throwing out that much smoke? I get looked at enought driving normal and I dont know what will happen driving with 50 feet of black smoke behind me. If someone could chime in and answer these questions for I would appriate it alot.
-Thanks Brandon
carbon smoke is black. that's what you get when wood burns. white smoke is due to chemicals or water vapor, blue smoke is due to oil, at least usually. so if your engine is full of carbon, yea you can get some black smoke.

anyways, i'm sure some cop somewhere having a bad day could write you a ticket for the smokescreen. call it reckless driving or something, i don't know. i don't know if it would hold up in court.

you can seafoam your car anywhere. go out towards the woods or something or to a more quiet area and park on the side of the road and do it. it only takes half an hour to go through this process.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I'm actually excited about doing this after reading it. Thanks for the write up I had never heard of it before.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Going to do this tomorrow, Will post results!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no problem. let us know the results!

3-5 mpg increase im showing thus far
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1baddls1
3-5 mpg increase im showing thus far
good Lord. i should make you send me a check, i'm saving you hundreds

PM me for my address

what mpg did you USED to get on average and what do you get now?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the wonderful sticky TACO! awesome! i was wondering, cause i just bought my car a week ago it still has the dealers oil in it. and i think its at half right now. i have no idea what kind of oil or brand they dumped in her. my question is being that theres only a half of unknown oil in there, should i go ahead and perform the seafoam treatment? or, should i get that unknown oil out and fill her up full with some gcow30 in there first and then perform the treatment?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by nickand98redta
Thanks for the wonderful sticky TACO! awesome! i was wondering, cause i just bought my car a week ago it still has the dealers oil in it. and i think its at half right now. i have no idea what kind of oil or brand they dumped in her. my question is being that theres only a half of unknown oil in there, should i go ahead and perform the seafoam treatment? or, should i get that unknown oil out and fill her up full with some gcow30 in there first and then perform the treatment?
get the oil out ASAP by performing a treatment.

go buy 6 quarts of GC 0W-30 and a can of seafoam. put half the can of seafoam in the dealer's oil. run it for 100 miles and change it ASAP. once the seafoamed dealership oil is out of there, switch to GC 0w-30.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

gotcha! will do! i just got back from advanced auto and bought 2 cans of sea foam i also asked about deep creep and the guy was all like don't put deep creep in it, i showed him a printed copy of your sweet instructions and he was all like its bad for the car to apply deep creep over the long run, like he said it builds up and all. what do you think about that? also i asked them for gc 0w30 and they had no idea what i was talkin about. do u know where i can get some? what brand of oil do you recommend for my rear? thanks buddy
Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh another one for ya-> do i need to do all three steps at once? or can i do the gas thing first and wait like a month to do steps 2 and 3?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya man i know the thread is long but i think choco has answered this quest. like 10 times so ill get this one choco.. yes you can split the steps up do 1 at the first of the month and do the next at the end of the month it doesn't matter.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you so very much
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech Resident

yes, thank you bjamick. you can split the steps up and do them whenever you want, or skip some totally.

as for the deep creep being harmful, just be smart about it. i wouldn't do it every 5,000 miles or anything, but LS1's are KNOWN to have oil buildup in the intake. seafoam is petroleum, so it's not really going to destroy anything. plus, it's all going to get burnt up anyway. i would recommend doing it maybe every 50,000 miles or so. that seems like a good number in my book.

you can only get GC 0W-30 from some autozones. also, WS6STORE, a sponsor on LS1TECH, sells it for $39.99 a case. you can buy it from them and have it shipped to your door.

in regards to rear end oil, your guess is as good as mine. i'm sure my differential oil is still stock. people seem to like royal purple. that's probably what i'd get. if i could free up 1 or 2 horsepower through my rear, i'll take it. in regards to differential oil, search the rear end section of this site, or start up a poll or something there. i'm sure they're more educated than i am on the subject.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

gotcha! thanks again. i'll probably hold off on the deep creep for a little while though. i'm like scared. hahaha hey man i am a newbie so... but i should start a poll for the rear part
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yes, you can use it on any vehicle.

I have been using Seafoam on my Ford F150 for two years now at every other oil change. Someone on a F150 BBS had recommended this product to me after I wrote in about a hesitation and performance problem. My 5.4 felt like a 2.4. My truck had 95K at the time.

You guys will not believe how much smoke will pour out of the exhaust after the first treatment. Like choco stated earlier, your engine will run rough for a while but eventually will smooth out. Also, your neighborhood will be blanketed with white smoke so this a good way to **** them off. After my first treatment, the hesitation was gone. The pinging was gone as well. The acceleration was nice and smooth. I used an entire can in the tank, a 1/2 can in the PCV hose and a 1/2 can in brake booster line.

The only thing that I would add to all of this would be to spray your Maf wires with electrical cleaner while you have the intake hose off. Good sticky.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

im going to give this a shot today...i have been feeling a bit sluggish lately and hopefully thats due to some buildup that i can clean out...this sticky is wonderful...choco you are worth 1000 jewels...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by toofless916
im going to give this a shot today...i have been feeling a bit sluggish lately and hopefully thats due to some buildup that i can clean out...this sticky is wonderful...choco you are worth 1000 jewels...
freakin' sweet! 1,000 jewels! and i was happy with just two!

let us know the results.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car