General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No dumb finds on my T/A but when i had my 88' Beretta GTU the dashboard wouldn't come on one day. I had the all digital dash in mine. I checked wires and finally found a fuse was blowing but couldnt figure out what was causing the surge. after a few hours i finally found a damn penny had fallen into the cigarette lighter and was shorting out the dash fuse.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

This just happened 30 minutes ago:

Cig lighter and power outlet weren't working. I noticed they had stopped after I had taken the console apart for some other reason about 3 months ago. I was thinking I had lost the little blue clip that fits behind the light and figured that was the problem...but it still didn't explain the outlet. I figured I'd just replace the whole thing since I had just replaced it in my DD and it took all of 15 min.

Today the weather was nice so I washed the car and finally decided to fix the cig lighter. I immediately bought a new one from autozone, took the console apart, and was getting a bit frustrated on how to get the element out. That's when I remembered the outlet didn't work either. Pissed off and tired, I get on the comp and log on here. I see THIS thread and saw the "fuse" comment........ 45 seconds later it's fixed.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
None on my car but I had a good one with my Silverado. My cargo lamp wasn't going on when I would open my door. I couldn't figure it out. Spent a couple of hours checking fuses, bulbs, and chasing wires. It was then that I saw a nice big button marked CARGO LAMP. I pressed it, and the ******* thing worked!!!

I felt like such a jackass considering I had owned the truck for more than two years. lol.

Guilty
Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
my car was losing that new car smell so i put an air freshener on the rearview mirror. pretty easy mod.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

added a second spring to the hatch latch pop-up mechanism to stop cold-weather triple-clicking on the remote.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
Did a cam install with my buddy, Started the car up and it would do a random backfire. Thought the tune was out of whack. waited a month for a friend to tune his car. Still nothing. Waited another month to start taking **** apart to try and fix it and noticed 2 plug wires had been crossed =\
If that was on a LS1, thats pretty hard to do. That'd be almost picture taking.

Heres mine:

Drop the tranny to swap stalls out. Well, get the tranny back in, finishing up and have to reconnect the lines to the pass. side to the cooler. Stock lines. Well, they use those little jesus clips right. So, 2 hours later because neither me nor my buddy can get them on. WTF over?!? Well, get the ASE guy at the hobby shop where we were asking for some help. He comes over, tells us some hints to get them back on and such. Ok, cool. We try. Still no go. Banging heads and looking like idiots, he's swearing, he doesnt swear. Im pissed. Just about to shoot my car. So, the ASE guy comes back over and points this out. Dont try to put the clips on over the little plastic cover. They go on before and the cover is just to make sure they dont come off. Felt like a total dutsch. Well, 30secs later done.

Ski

oh..and I did take pictures of my mess!!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Non-LS1 -- I was about 18, driving a '69 440 New Yorker. Left rear tire goes flat while I'm on the road, so I jack it and try to undo the nuts. Try one, it's frozen. Try another, it's frozen. I'm standing on the breaker, bouncing my full weight, these nuts are NOT coming off. I call my dad. He comes out, looks at it, and asks "did you try turning clockwise?" Sure enough, old Chryslers are reverse-threaded on the driver's side.

Same car, was running like total crap. Very slow, blowing smoke, thought the engine was shot. Gee, I wonder if it's got breaker points? Open up the distributor, sure enough, the screw was loose. Did a quick freehand adjustment, got back about 200 horsepower. Best free mod ever. Turned a dog into a seriously quick 4000 pound car.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

I have two good stories:

On my car, I hear this loud rattling every time I go over minor bumps, so I check the LCA's, PHR, and when I go to tighten down the last bolt, I see that GM left two body bolts out of my rear bumper (right underneath the license plate), and apparently UCF roads made me realize that. Two body bolts in, no more noise

On a 2006 F-150 I am helping this kid in the parking lot because he is installing LED turn signals, and he says they're not working. I see that the signal is not getting power, so I spend about 20 minutes finding the ******* fuse panel, pull the fuse and realize that isn't it. So I say "How about you turn on your parking lights. DUH! HE BOUGHT PARKING BULBS, NOT TURN SIGNAL BULBS! Oh well, got a case of Bud Light for the aggravation.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Lol I think i definately got one of the best.....
My 98 z28 had a mean misfire and was seriously loosing 100hp. The car had no *****, made weird noises at full throttle and all kinds of stuff.......

I didnt know if it was an exhaust leak, bad fuel pump or what.....haha
(I didnt know **** about cars then)
Well i went to go change the spark plugs for process of iliminiation....
I reach down and the second spark plug wire from the bag WAS OFF!
It was hardly touching the sparkplug.....enought to jump a spark but not enough to do much.....I felt like a jackass cuz i had been complaining for a couple weeks about it nonstop lol
Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

I had just gotten my first job at a local parts store, and it was Saturday. I was the kid that had to wash all of the cars every Saturday, and I had just learned how to drive a stick. So I get done with about half of the vehicles and it is about 2:00pm. The owner of the parts store and the manager are both outside of the store talking about the owners race car. So I went and hopped in the Ranger, the only stick in the lot, and was getting ready to drive it into the wash bay.

I go and get it running and put it in gear and let out the clutch... the car lunges forward and dies. So I start her up again and try for a second time to not look like such an *** in front of my bosses. Same result.

By this time the owner of the store and my manager are walking over to the car. I'm embarassed as all hell and don't know what to say. So I get out of the car and the owner hops in. He starts it up, and the same thing happens to him. So we are all stumped, and my manager doesn't want to get in and make himself look like an *** too. So he yells through one of the dock doors to my buddy, the only other guy working. My buddy hops out of the dock door, walks over to the car, hops in... and takes off the PARKING BREAK. He even parked it in the wash bay for me. I still hear about it to this day.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GF had just got an 88 Lesabre, her first fuel injected car, and the second day she had it it wouldn't start and she comes and gets me to check it out. I was out there checking all the plugs and wires and stuff and I could tell the car was flooded so I cleaned off the plugs and had her try to start it and it still wouldn't start. So I pull out the plugs and they are all wet again so I clean them again and tell her to start it again and it still will not start. I check for spark and it's getting spark so at this point I call my friend who's a mechanic at Buick and he says tell her not to press the gas pedal when she starts it, it's fuel injected. Then he tells me to just turn the key to where it clicks forward but doesn't engage the starter and leave it there for 10 seconds, then start it. Sure enough the car started right up.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Teching In

TA would not start due to blown fog light fuse. put new fuse in there. then front turn signals started SMOKING with the bulb REMOVED !!! $8 for new socket, $50 for new lens. car engine computer gave itself a tuneup once fixed.... the leak to ground was affecting the ECM for the engine somehow...
Old 03-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qwikz28
it took me about 2 months to find the cup holder in my car
hahahahaah me too! well not 2 months but close!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Teching In

the dumbest thing was to rev my 67 chrysler newport 383 (16 years old -- what is a tune up)? flipped ALL the belts off - drove it 15 miles home 3 at a time.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by qwikz28
it took me about 2 months to find the cup holder in my car

ROFL, when i got my mine i kept trying to push it cause it looked like a button, then by accident when i was running the wire to my radar it snagged on it and opened it up. i was like "OHHHH"
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

my car wouldn't stop once, and then i realized that the little pedal on the left was like the "brakes" or something.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Did a header swap and forgot to plug in the little coolant sensor on it....car ran like **** for a few days before I finally figured it out.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Happened on my old Buick Regal, it was about 10 degrees in the middle of winter and this truck throws all this nasty salty slush all over the windshield. I hit the washer fluid and nothing happens. Had to pull over to clean the windshield. Get home and the washer resivoir is frozen solid. WTF???? Look at the bottle of washer fluid and it says "Summer Formula"

Can't tell you the number of times I've left the dome light on and it runs the battery down.

Jumping up and down the the lug wrench(the POS in the trunk) and it slips, I then slip on some wet moss and bust my *** and tear my arm all up on the driveway. The soft steel head on that thing had mushroomed out, I tossed it as far as I could.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

You guys must have some quite smooth riding cars to notice small rattles and squeaks. My car makes an awefull racket over any road imperfections. I can't track down the problem. New LCA, PHB, and shocks. Still just as noisy and getting noisier. When I got a front ball joint replaced the tech that test drove the car noticed the noise and called to tell me. I told him I knew about it and its been like that for over a year. I asked him to check it out and see what he could find. He called me back later and said that my rod-ended LCAs were loose. That was a total cop-out in my opinion..... blame the aftermarket part. The noise was there before the LCA and I already checked them a couple months prior. I removed them to inspect the rods and they weren't loose. Maybe I should pull them again to see if they've gotten loose since then. I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. One person earlier in this thread mentioned the bumper bolts. I'll check them out, but I think the noise is louder and more varied that that. Its worth a shot.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Put silicone around the base of the bulb plug to keep water out of my clear corners.

Went through the trouble of going all along the edges, like others recommended, before I installed them and they still got water in them the first time I got caught in some rain. When I took them out I noticed the water between the plug and the mounting surface so I slapped some silicone in there. Now they don't get any water in them and they don't fog up.

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?