Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Install - Realistic Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Install - Realistic Gains?

I'm going to be installing my new exhaust in the next fews weeks (there's never enough time to do EVEYRHING!) and I wanted to know what kind of hp/torque gains I can REALISTICALLY expect from this setup:

Kooks 1 3/4 x 1 7/8 stepped primaries
ARH ORY-pipe
Corsa Cat-back dual 3.5" tips

While in there, I'm replacing the 02s with the Bosch 13111 corvette sensors, spark plugs and wires and also removing the AIR pump and plumbing. Also have the car tuned on the road immediately after installation of all parts.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 08-22-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30rwhp
Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think 40rwhp would be more accurate, but it also depends on if you adjust the tune for the exhaust system. That is an expensive but very nice exhaust setup you have there.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
30rwhp
thats a good estimate.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out my thread from back in the day. GMhightechperformance installed headers, y-pipe, and cat back and got 33rwhp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...st-set-up.html
Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm more than content with a 30hp gain. I'm having the car tuned bc 1) I want something better than the stock tune and 2) I'm going to have SES lights all over the place and running rich so I figured might as well. Plus, I'm not shopping around for a cam at the moment.... or am I? haha

I will definitely have pics of the install and a before and after video. As to the expense, yeah... it was definitely a big chunk of change, but I figured go big or go home. I'm hoping that it will be everything that I imagined it would be. It took me the better part of this year to pull the trigger and go for it.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
While in there, I'm replacing the 02s with the Bosch 13111 corvette sensors, spark plugs and wires and also removing the AIR pump and plumbing. Also have the car tuned on the road immediately after installation of all parts.
You should add a set of Poly Motor Mounts to your list.

They're a PITA to install, but will ensure your newly installed exhaust components won't be banging your floorpan.

Good luck with your up coming install.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wrestled back and forth with whether I should install MMs or not. I have read the hundreds of threads arguing back in forth to replace the stockers or not, rubber vs poly. I have been told by some that the stockers are fine and if they aren't broke, not to replace them and to spend the money elsewhere. Besides, the car is my daily driver, would the poly MMs create more rattles? I am a big fan of not having rattles and shakes...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

I wrestled back and forth with whether I should install MMs or not. I have read the hundreds of threads arguing back in forth to replace the stockers or not, rubber vs poly. I have been told by some that the stockers are fine and if they aren't broke, not to replace them and to spend the money elsewhere. Besides, the car is my daily driver, would the poly MMs create more rattles? I am a big fan of not having rattles and shakes...
I just installed ARH headers with catted Y, keeping the stock SLP dual-dual. The suspension is the '01 Ultra Bilstein option, which sets a tad lower than the stock SS. No complaints at all aimed at the ARH equipment, it's the nature of our beast, but the Y bangs at WOT. I debated the same thing, and took a chance. It didn't generate any knock retard according to Autotap, but now I have to go back and do something. Though painful, I'm in the poly MM camp.

BobP
Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I went from the stock WS6 exhaust to 1 3/4" ARH headers, ARH catted Y-pipe, Corsa exhaust, swapped the LS1 intake for an LS6 intake, ported my throttle body, and (road) tuned myself. Different dynos on different days, both dynojets, picked up 33 rwhp and 31 rwtq. You could probably argue it would pick up a few more hp going without the cats, but I prefer the sound with them. I did poly motor mounts during the install and have no banging. The car doesn't rattle with the polys, but it does move around more - especially now with a cam. I still need to get a panhard rod support relocation kit, though, because the over-the-axle pipe sometimes rubs there, and I can't get it to not do it after several adjustments.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobP
I just installed ARH headers with catted Y, keeping the stock SLP dual-dual. The suspension is the '01 Ultra Bilstein option, which sets a tad lower than the stock SS. No complaints at all aimed at the ARH equipment, it's the nature of our beast, but the Y bangs at WOT. I debated the same thing, and took a chance. It didn't generate any knock retard according to Autotap, but now I have to go back and do something. Though painful, I'm in the poly MM camp.

BobP
your ARH y bangs the floor board?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
your ARH y bangs the floor board?
Yes, it does.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobP
Yes, it does.
really i thought the ARH ones were better for clearance, yea im having the same problem wit mine too, its annyoing
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not trying to turn your question on exhaust gains into another thread on Motor Mounts. I'm sorry for dwelling on the subject, but I would like to mention just a couple of things, then I'll leave it alone.

First, let me say, I've been a part of three LT installs and with each one we also installed a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. Not one of these cars have had an issue with the exhaust hitting the floorpan.

Even if the factory mounts hold up after the header install, eventually the rubber will breakdown and your exhaust will start banging on the under-body of your car. At that point, you will need to change them. My advice is to take care of this now, before it becomes a problem.

That's it, man. I won't preach anymore.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm not trying to turn your question on exhaust gains into another thread on Motor Mounts. I'm sorry for dwelling on the subject, but I would like to mention just a couple of things, then I'll leave it alone.

First, let me say, I've been a part of three LT installs and with each one we also installed a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. Not one of these cars have had an issue with the exhaust hitting the floorpan.

Even if the factory mounts hold up after the header install, eventually the rubber will breakdown and your exhaust will start banging on the under-body of your car. At that point, you will need to change them. My advice is to take care of this now, before it becomes a problem.

That's it, man. I won't preach anymore.

Good luck.
I got some RED Prothane MMs...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Midnight00SS
really i thought the ARH ones were better for clearance, yea im having the same problem wit mine too, its annyoing
The ARH fit and finish is very nice, and IMO, deserves its rep. The headers slid in with no issues and no touching. The low point up front is no lower than stock, and actually better now where the pipe bends up to go over the axle since I tucked that up a bit after losing a stock muffler hanger point to the hitch.

As mentioned, the Ultra Bilstein option sits a bit lower than a stock SS, so I think that with the fatter Y and tucking up the sag is the reason for the WOT banging.

BobP
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got some RED Prothane MMs...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there ever a point in replacing the stock clamshells?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there ever a point in replacing the stock clamshells?
Not really.

I've heard of some guys purchasing new or used mounts, so they can be prepped with the poly bushings prior to beginning the tear down process.

This way it'd just be a matter of getting the old mounts off the block and bolting the new ones in their place.

This would allow you to save the original mounts, as well. (Although I can't say why you'd want them.)

Other than this, I don't ever remember reading about anyone who has NEEDED to replace the Clamshells for any reason.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

If your Y pipe is banging I can almost guarentee its cuz of a ripped tranny mount not the ARH equipment.