Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by emmanuel williamson
whats up cuz i wonder how many cheaters are actually on that list. Its pretty cool to think you are following all the rules and running mph with the fastest on the list. After your mod list you are gona be installing soon i think your best option is going to be weight it might not be hp at the motor but power to weight ratio is what matters. Its funny to see people sugest rockers,smaller gaskets,port matching,balancing rotating assembly and so on its good ideas but its not allowed! Its not as easy as it looks i tried for two years and got advise from you and every si guy and i gave up i couldnt get it to go any faster. i sometime wish i didnt give up so soon. I ran a 1.59 60ft 7.62 1/8 and 12.007 at 113.89mph + 2000d/a 3250 raceweight and my shift points all screwed up 110,000 mile motor getting valve float above 6000rpm
Yea, your car was interesting. I wish I could have been around it more so we could try and diagnose it more together. Plus if it were here, you would have ran in A LOT better weather, and I bet we could have gotten those shift points worked out I'm not a good enough tuner to nail it from half way across the country Gotta remember you still were faster than 95% of stock internal guys stuck in the mid 12's...

As far as my car, weight wise, I pretty much have it covered. Your gonna have to come take a look under my hood sometime Theres TONS of more weight to take out of it, but it gets expensive fast! I'm just doing little things here and there on a constant basis, and it all adds up! Working on a project now that should drop 25+ off the nose of the car
Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

What battery are you running?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
What battery are you running?
Stock on the street, lightweight at the track..
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been following your build thread in the racing forum for sometime now as i plan on slowly doing a SI build of my own.

I saw the numbers you put down on your dyno run the other day. Very impressive. Now i seem to recall you have a few more goodies to install, namely a fast 102 intake and ebay tb combo. Do you expect to gain much from this? I realize you have to get a proper tune yet, but of course i assume that will come after the other things are installed.

Considering you have stock heads/cam does the 102 seem overkill? Are the ports at the head on the assorted fast intakes all the same size? And it is just the tb opening that is larger? Larger plenum volume on the larger sized intakes? Reason i ask all this is im wondering about port velocity in realtion to the stock intake port size of the heads.

Maybe im way off base with all this and the head ports are much larger, or perhaps exactly the same as the ports on the fast intakes.

Obviously you are trying to squeeze every last bit out of your combo. But if i can get away with just using a ls6 intake, but losing out on 5-10 hp, and saving some cash that would be good to know.

Another thing i just thought of... Is porting of the intakes aloud?

Sorry i feel as though i have rambled a bit... And maybe i should have done a search first, cause all this has been answered somewhere already.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-P
I've been following your build thread in the racing forum for sometime now as i plan on slowly doing a SI build of my own.

I saw the numbers you put down on your dyno run the other day. Very impressive. Now i seem to recall you have a few more goodies to install, namely a fast 102 intake and ebay tb combo. Do you expect to gain much from this? I realize you have to get a proper tune yet, but of course i assume that will come after the other things are installed.

Considering you have stock heads/cam does the 102 seem overkill? Are the ports at the head on the assorted fast intakes all the same size? And it is just the tb opening that is larger? Larger plenum volume on the larger sized intakes? Reason i ask all this is im wondering about port velocity in realtion to the stock intake port size of the heads.

Maybe im way off base with all this and the head ports are much larger, or perhaps exactly the same as the ports on the fast intakes.

Obviously you are trying to squeeze every last bit out of your combo. But if i can get away with just using a ls6 intake, but losing out on 5-10 hp, and saving some cash that would be good to know.

Another thing i just thought of... Is porting of the intakes aloud?

Sorry i feel as though i have rambled a bit... And maybe i should have done a search first, cause all this has been answered somewhere already.
I can't give all my info away, but we will see after my newest dyno. For me its totally worth it if I can pick up 10hp.

As far as porting intakes, any kind of intake is aloud. The only real guideline to the whole stock-internals list is that it has to be a 4th gen f-body, and has to have factory stock internals. The valve covers have never been off my car. One car wasn't allowed on the list because he switched to 241 heads on a 98 car, which meant he had opened his up.

As these motors get older I'm sure more fixing of old components will be allowed, such as old springs and such, but the rules are very tight in regards to opening up your motor.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you will pick up a lot of Rwhp with the 102 setup.. I do think you will pick up a nice little TQ gain though which will help just as much.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
I don't think you will pick up a lot of Rwhp with the 102 setup.. I do think you will pick up a nice little TQ gain though which will help just as much.
Why do you say that? If anything I would assume I would pick up HP in the upper RPM's

I'm pretty sure I've stated it, and maybe even in this thread, but I'm hoping with all my new additions I can pick up in the neighborhood of 20hp. Which may or may not be over zealous...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Magnet
Why do you say that? If anything I would assume I would pick up HP in the upper RPM's

I'm pretty sure I've stated it, and maybe even in this thread, but I'm hoping with all my new additions I can pick up in the neighborhood of 20hp. Which may or may not be over zealous...
It is what in my experience and research have found.. As I'm sure you know they changed the runners.
It seems as most people pick up more Rwtq over the 90/92 version but about the same, or less, Rwhp.

Just my prediction, I could be completely wrong or completely right!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

I can't give all my info away, but we will see after my newest dyno. For me its totally worth it if I can pick up 10hp.

Ah come on, give up some of your secrets. Is it possible you would lose some power under the curve at all? Sure 10 hp peak is nice, but would it be at any sort of cost in the lower rpms?

Any thoughts on the intake port in relation to head port questions i had?

As far as porting intakes, any kind of intake is aloud. The only real guideline to the whole stock-internals list is that it has to be a 4th gen f-body, and has to have factory stock internals. The valve covers have never been off my car. One car wasn't allowed on the list because he switched to 241 heads on a 98 car, which meant he had opened his up.

As these motors get older I'm sure more fixing of old components will be allowed, such as old springs and such, but the rules are very tight in regards to opening up your motor.
Any word on freshening up the valve springs? Stock of course.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
It is what in my experience and research have found.. As I'm sure you know they changed the runners.
It seems as most people pick up more Rwtq over the 90/92 version but about the same, or less, Rwhp.

Just my prediction, I could be completely wrong or completely right!
Gotcha.. Your saying over another 90/90 set-up stock vs. stock. I think that on my set-up though, going from an Ls6 to the 102 should gain in the RPMs, if in fact it gains.

When I spoke to Tony Mamo, he seemed to indicate that a 102mm when fully ported, out performs a fully ported 90/92 setup across the board, but that a ported 90/92 setup could very well out perform a stock 102..

FYI I would love to have Tony port mine, and he is more than worth the price, but I just don't have the coin for it right now.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

When I spoke to Tony Mamo, he seemed to indicate that a 102mm when fully ported, out performs a fully ported 90/92 setup across the board, but that a ported 90/92 setup could very well out perform a stock 102..
Well i guess this sort of answers my "power under the curve" question.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Ah come on, give up some of your secrets. Is it possible you would lose some power under the curve at all? Sure 10 hp peak is nice, but would it be at any sort of cost in the lower rpms?

I'm not positive on the heads, I'll look at mine when I install it, but I'm not conscerned. The people I have talked to have all indacted that I shouldn't lose any power from the intake. From what I have gleaned, it isn't like a carb. That is to say you can't "over carb" the motor aka "over intake" it.

Valvesprings, in my opinion, as long as they are truly LS1 springs and not Ls6 springs, shouldn't be a problem.

I've considered freshening my springs and pushrods with new factory pieces. Peace of mind really...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I am very curious what you gain with that intake-please post. A shame you can't have Tony do yours.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I am very curious what you gain with that intake-please post. A shame you can't have Tony do yours.
I'll take donations

The next dyno is going to be after all my next round of mods so we won't know what the intake itself gives just a total. Unless you guys want to sponsor some dyno time and I'll do it after each mod. Like I said, I take donations. Papypal is jwilliamson22@gmail.com hahaha
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 102 is better than a 90/92 anywhere.
Gotcha.. Your saying over another 90/90 set-up stock vs. stock. I think that on my set-up though, going from an Ls6 to the 102 should gain in the RPMs, if in fact it gains.

FYI I would love to have Tony port mine, and he is more than worth the price, but I just don't have the coin for it right now.
Same from what I have seen with a ported 90/92 vs stock 102.

What was the price of him porting the intake? (PM)
Old 01-26-2011, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't see another 20hp, I was thinking maybe another 5-10 at most. But, every little bit counts! When do you expect to have numbers from the new stuff?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I just can't see another 20hp, I was thinking maybe another 5-10 at most. But, every little bit counts! When do you expect to have numbers from the new stuff?
I'll be disappointed for sure if I only get 5 from everything. Judging by my AFR I felt like there was a few just in the tune..

I'm hoping to get everything on in the next couple weeks at most, then nail the tune, and hit a dyno day later February at the same place I went Monday.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Isn't that the fun of it though? People never expected a H/C/I Ls1 to hit over 500.... then it did. Then people said far and few inbetween but everytime new parts come out, the bar gets raised. Only one way to find out for sure

The thing most people forget is how well the stock heads and cam work together. Yes the 98 cams are slightly bigger.... doesn't mean better. The event timing on the 01/02 cams are more effecient, coupled along with smoother casting heads make a world of difference when a max-effort SI is of concern. Alot of people overlook or simply just forget that there is ALOT of very minor things you can do to a SI car that will make gains. Once you start putting all the very very minor things together, the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Also, just to note.... The rules of SI seem to be whatever the mods opinions are. Pretty sure that number 1 spot had a motor that was once completely apart and swapped. Maybe I am wrong though
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris Gage
Isn't that the fun of it though? People never expected a H/C/I Ls1 to hit over 500.... then it did. Then people said far and few inbetween but everytime new parts come out, the bar gets raised. Only one way to find out for sure

The thing most people forget is how well the stock heads and cam work together. Yes the 98 cams are slightly bigger.... doesn't mean better. The event timing on the 01/02 cams are more effecient, coupled along with smoother casting heads make a world of difference when a max-effort SI is of concern. Alot of people overlook or simply just forget that there is ALOT of very minor things you can do to a SI car that will make gains. Once you start putting all the very very minor things together, the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Also, just to note.... The rules of SI seem to be whatever the mods opinions are. Pretty sure that number 1 spot had a motor that was once completely apart and swapped. Maybe I am wrong though
The small stuff definitely adds up.

The #1 guy from what I have heard/ seen was once a race car, but blew his motor up. He then decided to throw a stock LS1 in it and see what it would do, and low and behold ran the 10.6. From what I gathered he didn't push it that much and didn't try that long
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

i think iv seen that thread, he had a motor plate and everything was decked out

Quick Reply: Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)