Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little race gas never hurt anything..... right?

Magnet, You culd use a little less fuel on the top ed of your curve by far. There are a few ponies left there. For what it worth, I dyno'd to the wheels 342/351 with just a slp lid and a 14.4 afr, this was prior to minor tweaking of the tune. I ran that car that lean pretty hard for a very long time. When my motor was finally taken apart, the builder was very surprised how clean the motor was and how good it looked for having 180k beat on miles.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Gage
A little race gas never hurt anything..... right?

Magnet, You culd use a little less fuel on the top ed of your curve by far. There are a few ponies left there. For what it worth, I dyno'd to the wheels 342/351 with just a slp lid and a 14.4 afr, this was prior to minor tweaking of the tune. I ran that car that lean pretty hard for a very long time. When my motor was finally taken apart, the builder was very surprised how clean the motor was and how good it looked for having 180k beat on miles.
I'm definitely hoping leaning out the top 5k+ will net me some power, and maybe even richening it up to peak torque to gain some torque too
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnet
I'm not positive on the heads, I'll look at mine when I install it, but I'm not conscerned. The people I have talked to have all indacted that I shouldn't lose any power from the intake. From what I have gleaned, it isn't like a carb. That is to say you can't "over carb" the motor aka "over intake" it.
Good to know. I guess i was just really wondering about the transition point from the intake to the heads, and how the different intake sizes effected that. If at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Just some FYI since your contesting whether intakes really help SI. I made 352 rwhp on a non ported 78mm FAST and went 11.0 SI with it. As far as HP nums. maybe couldve got a few more HP out of it but wouldve lost a helluva lot of torque down low.
I tried cam2 as well, didnt seem to make much diff. besides burning up the O2's lol
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Just some FYI since your contesting whether intakes really help SI. I made 352 rwhp on a non ported 78mm FAST and went 11.0 SI with it. As far as HP nums. maybe couldve got a few more HP out of it but wouldve lost a helluva lot of torque down low.
I tried cam2 as well, didnt seem to make much diff. besides burning up the O2's lol
Your one of the SI greats, and I've looked at a lot of your threads gleaning what I could, but do you know what your saying is true or are you assuming? Who says you couldn't have gone 10.9 with a ported 90+ intake?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Haha, well you know you could be right, i had an unported 90 at the time and just never used it. Was afraid it would kill me in low end torque. My philosophy has always been that a good launch meant a good pass was on the way I did manage to get a 1.45 60' out of my worn out 130k ls1
Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Haha, well you know you could be right, i had an unported 90 at the time and just never used it. Was afraid it would kill me in low end torque. My philosophy has always been that a good launch meant a good pass was on the way I did manage to get a 1.45 60' out of my worn out 130k ls1
I'll have to look through some of your posts later. Best I can muster is a 1.50 60' with my worn out 155k mile junk
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Does anybody know how fast someone has been SI with a 4l60E? If so what converter, gear, tire were they running and vehicle weight?
Quickest "S.I." car sportin' a 4L60 according to this list is 10.8x@122.x.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...1-74-bump.html
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Your one of the SI greats, and I've looked at a lot of your threads gleaning what I could, but do you know what your saying is true or are you assuming? Who says you couldn't have gone 10.9 with a ported 90+ intake?
I always wanted to ask....Since "Stock Internals" include aftermaket intake manifolds are aftermarket cylinder heads accepted too???
Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT/LS Guy
I always wanted to ask....Since "Stock Internals" include aftermaket intake manifolds are aftermarket cylinder heads accepted too???
Absolutely not. No opening of the long block is the premise.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can you do a valve job?do you have the 241 heads with the triangles casting on the exhaust side?semi permanet castings heads,I hear they are worth 5 more hp.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, A good description is- Everything that oil touches has to be stock.

On the dyno the SUX2BU sealed up setup makes less power, The sealed ducts with the car not moving restrict the motor, I keep them it. But somthing to remebed. Also they change the AFR on the dyno then the car going down the track. But having the front open on the airbox, or taking the ducts out so the bottem of the filter is open, like the "free ram air", will make more power on the dyno. And having the fans blow right on the filter, you can put a box fan on the ground under the car hitting the bottem of the filter. I've seen some dyno videos of some top power cars and they took the lower airbox off. And just had the lid help up with a block of wood 4inchs off the body. One of the lid clips came off WOT and went in the motor, and tore it up

Look into the stuff the stockers do, there lots of little things you can do. They buy and test many different stock parts, there is a tolerance in them, some are better then others. I haven't checked at stock valve lifts. I'm sure its there but not as much. Not all stock rockers are the same ratio, so they have different valve lifts. The more lift the bigger the difference (more nose scubb). You can get over .020 valve lift between a slightly under the advertised ratio, and a super rocker thats .0x + ratio. This was over .600 lifts.

90* opening of the TB dose not make the most power

when you bolt the headers on, pull them up. Some flanges have larger clearance holes, but the heads will like having the header tube higher.. free hp

Check the fit off the bellow on the TB, and MAFF. My 22* bellow didn't fit that great, And the 85MM maff has a big flange on the back. I cut it back, and its even about a 22* upward cut and fits the turn of the bellow VERY nice, then most people. The top of the flange in not long going into the turn.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...IMG_5045-1.jpg
And the way a worm gear hose clamp tightens up, it pulls right around the clamp. You can use that to how the bellow turn fits. Get it smooth inside touching 360* everywhere, most will bunch up and be 1/8 off the turn of the bellow.... free hp.

Last edited by studderin; 01-27-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Absolutely not. No opening of the long block is the premise.
Hmm....so aftermarket Intake Manifold, but no heads. Interesting!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

damn, it is so hard to read that...proofread Johnny my head hurts...

Originally Posted by studderin
Ya, A good description is- Everything that oil touches has to be stock.

On the dyno the SUX2BU sealed up setup makes less power, The sealed ducts with the car not moving restrict the motor, I keep them it. But somthing to remebed. Also they change the AFR on the dyno then the car going down the track. But having the front open on the airbox, or taking the ducts out so the bottem of the filter is open, like the "free ram air", will make more power on the dyno. And having the fans blow right on the filter, you can put a box fan on the ground under the car hitting the bottem of the filter. I've seen some dyno videos of some top power cars and they took the lower airbox off. And just had the lid help up with a block of wood 4inchs off the body. One of the lid clips came off WOT and went in the motor, and tore it up

Look into the stuff the stockers do, there lots of little things you can do. They buy and test many different stock parts, there is a tolerance in them, some are better then others. I haven't checked at stock valve lifts. I'm sure its there but not as much. Not all stock rockers are the same ratio, so they have different valve lifts. The more lift the bigger the difference (more nose scubb). You can get over .020 valve lift between a slightly under the advertised ratio, and a super rocker thats .0x + ratio. This was over .600 lifts.

when you bolt the headers on, pull them up. Some flanges have larger clearance holes, but the heads will like having the header tube higher.. free hp

Check the fit off the bellow on the TB, and MAFF. My 22* bellow didn't fit that great, And the 85MM maff has a big flange on the back. I cut it back, and its even about a 22* upward cut and fits the turn of the bellow VERY nice, then most people. The top of the flange in not long going into the turn.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...IMG_5045-1.jpg
And the way a worm gear hose clamp tightens up, it pulls right around the clamp. You can use that to how the bellow turn fits. Get it smooth inside touching 360* everywhere, most will bunch up and be 1/8 off the turn of the bellow.... free hp.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

I know a couple people that have added a fast 90 to a SI car and saw exactly the same times at the track, no gain over a ls6 intake...both a4 cars and fully tuned...the intake is not the restriction...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
damn, it is so hard to read that...proofread Johnny my head hurts...
ya sorry. my hands were numb from porting, and there worse right now the spelling checker picks up the wrong words, haha but can you get the info form it?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by studderin
ya sorry. my hands were numb from porting, and there worse right now the spelling checker picks up the wrong words, haha but can you get the info form it?

Yup thats good stuff right there, couple questions though...

Please explain. I can think of a few reasons that having it not at 90* would possibly help but thats just guessing.

This one is kinda hard to understand, or maybe my reading comprehention sucks. Are you saying not to over tighten it? Or it can cause the bellow to bunch a bit causing turbulance?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
I'll have to look through some of your posts later. Best I can muster is a 1.50 60' with my worn out 155k mile junk
Not to screw up the thread but my quick "off the subject" question to you is...what vertor,gear, and tire size etc you running and then maybe I can give a suggestion to get you in the 1.4's

As far as the intake debate, i guess the only way to figure out whether the 90/92 works better over the ls6/78 on an SI motor is to swap all them on the same car, same dyno, and same day. I dont think there would be much measurable diff. tho.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One car wasn't allowed on the list because he switched to 241 heads on a 98 car, which meant he had opened his up.

As these motors get older I'm sure more fixing of old components will be allowed, such as old springs and such, but the rules are very tight in regards to opening up your motor.
I wonder who that could have been....lol . Just remember this is a honor system. Its just great to see people reaction when they ask what you have done and you say it stock internals, well I had to say stock 98 short block with stock 241 heads.Now I have to add LS6 springs and harden pushrods but that was from having the maggie on the car which still needs to be put back on see what it will due with the right fuel press/tune this time .
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a car should be excluded because they have another year stock casting head. I don't know jack though.

Quick Reply: Maxing out a bolt-on only car (stock heads, stock cam, NA)