Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know if John deere bolts are similar to gm style factory bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know if John deere bolts are similar to gm style factory bolts?

Like the title anyone who's bought jd bolts.. are they like factory bolts or are they just regular grade 8.8s like I can buy from any local hardware store? I hear of a lot of people using them but just needed clarified since its a 30 min drive to nearest jd dealer...
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF??? just buy the bolts from a hardware store.............
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

"Quality" reply there man.. but I'm not talking stock components. I'd prefer somethin a little higher quality than the common bolt I can buy for $2 bucks a pound when I'm bolting a high dollar trans to high dollar motor..

"wtf"
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

What do you mean similar? The factory bolts work obviously. ARP more than likely can supply a bolt you are looking for.

I really couldn't see Deere bolts being any better grade than stock?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Ok clearly I didn't explain it well enough...

I've seen multiple people post that they purchased bolts from a john deeee dealer to make up for missing gm bolts. They claim its a cheap high quality alternative to spending 10 dollars per bolt at a gm dealer. And I know arp sells all the ones I need, most my internals are arp but I don't want to wait for shipping and I don't feel like paying for them if I don't need too.

My question is are these jd bolts just regular hex head grade 8 bolts or are they flanged/washer hex bolts like a factory gm 10.9 bolt. If I can buy a good 10.9 bolt for a $1 or less like some claim then yes my 30 minute drive is completely warranted. Anyone with some experience with these?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

I dont blame you at all. Just wanted to know more? Are these trans to block bolts or what?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Yep bellhousing to block, m10x1.5x40s

I did a lil research and found that Fastenal has the bolts I need for under 2 a bolt just have to wait till Monday to pick up in town. They also sell online so that might help anyone who sees this in the future. .www.fastenal.com
Old 12-31-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive used 8.8 or 10.9 grade bolts from hardware store before on bh. Never any probs.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

John Deere is going to have a huge assortment of fasteners (thousands) with different specs and protective coatings. I can imagine they have what you need if you already know the part numbers. Knowing the part numbers is probably the real trick. Dealer price markup will be high, not what I call an "inexpensive" source.

My suggestion is to find a Fastenal dealer in your area, or some other fastener dealer, where you can walk in an touch and feel bolts and talk to somebody that actually knows about the different coatings and uses. I have a Fastenal a few blocks from my house and that is where I go when I need something. Less expensive than hardware store and better quality product.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stryker
Ok clearly I didn't explain it well enough...

I've seen multiple people post that they purchased bolts from a john deeee dealer to make up for missing gm bolts. They claim its a cheap high quality alternative to spending 10 dollars per bolt at a gm dealer. And I know arp sells all the ones I need, most my internals are arp but I don't want to wait for shipping and I don't feel like paying for them if I don't need too.

My question is are these jd bolts just regular hex head grade 8 bolts or are they flanged/washer hex bolts like a factory gm 10.9 bolt. If I can buy a good 10.9 bolt for a $1 or less like some claim then yes my 30 minute drive is completely warranted. Anyone with some experience with these?
So a tractor dealer is cheaper than a GM dealer??
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

From what I read in previous posts yes about a quarter of the gm bolt cost. But fastenal is around the same lower price and I found a fastenal store in my town.. never even knew there was a local one.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The story goes, John Deer has some of the highest quality bolts available. A big part of fastener quality is the ability to trace where it came from. Many years ago, some components on the space shuttle had to be rebuilt because they couldn't trace the bolt origins. Just one counterfeit bolt could bring down the entire mission. John Deer has very strict fastener rules in place.

If I had easy access to John Deer fasteners, I would use them before using GM bolts.

Having said this, there's nothing wrong with GM bolts-except the cost. I do feel GM uses barely adequate head and main bolts-I'd only use ARP studs in these applications.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought those bolts from fastenal. Cost me $40 because I had to buy a box, they would not sell singles. So if anybody needs a few bolts ( m10x1.5x40) Allen head. Let me know. I have about 30 or so left.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skopers3
So a tractor dealer is cheaper than a GM dealer??
not hard to beleive...ever look under the hood/body of a JD tractor? they have been using the same bolts FOREVER. most of the bolts on a 4th gen F-body were just that. supply and demand applies here...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing runs like a deere
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

I've bought some bolts from a JD dealer and no they are not the ones with a washer right under the head like the stock ones. At least not the ones I got

Quick Reply: Anyone know if John deere bolts are similar to gm style factory bolts?