Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!

LS-2 Stroker in a 2000 Camaro SS. Exhaust packaging issues - figured this forum is best.

11.2:1 Compression 408, LT's, Y-pipe, single 3" pipe, !Cats, !Air, !EGR, Gibson crossover muffler with dual tailpipes.

PROBLEM: TOO LOUD! ...Wifey won't go for a cruise/dinner and I no longer want all the attention at parking lots, stop lights and mainstreets just trying to idle through.( Evil stares from mothers and "LIGHT 'EM UP!!! from every red-blooded male!!!)

I already have an electric cutout for track & street fun anyway.

Researched and installed "quietest", a Gibson SS muffler, but only slightly quieter, with more Bass (awesome but didn't get the job done...)

SO. What do you think of these 3 OPTIONS? Other ideas?
Hopefully some real-world experience with your suggestions!:

1. Probably quietest: Dynatech or Magnaflow Metallic Spun Cat between the axle and cutout ( SEE IMAGE FOR LOCATION)
I know power will suffer but that's OK ( open cutout when I want ), but very worried it might run all rich and poopy... Will I have to run AIR injection back there to light up cat to keep from clogging up???

2. Probably not so quiet: Dynomax Bullet, Borla XR1, Cherrybomb or Thrush between axle and Cutout? Maybe 12" max length possible... SEE IMAGE FOR LOCATION.

My only experience with a bullet "resonator" was on my supercharged Z-28 with LTs, !Cats, etc. The bullet was behind the muffler before tailpipe tip (SOTL) - it only quieted a tiny bit with more booming bass )

3. Two bullets between the Gibson muff and tailpipe tips? ( After gas tank and before tips) ? If they can fit there.

Other ideas?

Money all spent, so replacing Gibson with something else is out. And YES I know I should have done a true dual system but, too late too!

Just Need the "Best Anti-Bang for the Buck" LOL !!!

Oh, here's my custom chrome cutout side pipe - made from a COT Nascar muffler section and oval pipe from Dr. Gas! Just did it for fun. Need to cut it up again and tuck it up higher for looks and more ground clearance.

THANKS!
Rambo Benson
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP dual/dual muffler...sound alot quieter and still flow good enough to make power. Its 3" in/ dual 2.5" out. Its the stock muffler off of an SS camaro or WS6 Trans Am...Its stainless steel and has, I believe, 8 or so welded spots you will see on the case.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Oops, guess I don't know how to attach photos...trying again...
Attached Thumbnails Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!-room.jpg   Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!-sidepipe.jpg   Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!-tire.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Hey Moe,
Thanks but SLP dual duals is what I already had (SS) before I switched to Gibson. ( only slightly quieter )

I guess it's the high compression and XLR big cam that makes it so frikkin loud too!

Ram
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replace the y merge with a good merge if yours doesnt have it, add 2 spun metallic cats behind the collectors and a magnaflow bullet in the I pipe. That will be the quietest you can get it without completely redoing your exhaust
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a borla proXS muffler
Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Get a hooker aerochamber and take the exhaust all the way to the back. Will quiet it down a lot.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Launching!

magnaflow muffler part # 12267 or 12266. had the same issue as you had slp muffler to loud with header, ory, big cam, couldnt even hear my self think had this muffler installed problem solved and the wife is a happy camper. yes your hp will suffer some but with cut outs youll be fine when you need to stomp
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look into the hooker maxflow mufflers. Great flow but very quiet if you get one in a large case.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

buy a prius!?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Hooker Aerochamber. Mine is really quiet but like you I have a cutout if I wanna be heard. I can hear my radio with the windows down at any speed. It has a nice growl to it and WOT is nasty sounding. Mine is a 3" single in/out in the stock location and dumped behind the bumper.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Replace the y merge with a good merge if yours doesnt have it, add 2 spun metallic cats behind the collectors and a magnaflow bullet in the I pipe. That will be the quietest you can get it without completely redoing your exhaust
Agreed, I'd put a Magnaflow #14419 (3" in/out, 4" dia.,14" case L) before the cut-out, yes it'll still be loud through the cut-out, but combined with the rear muffler it'll be a little quieter. If that isn't enough then in the rear in both tail pipes put two Magnaflow#14416 (2.5" in/out 4" dia., 14" case L), these will be the most effective option, and these are the polished model since they will be slightly visible from the rear of the car.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Thanks everybody, lots to think about, I really appreciate it!

Blk98Vert: Do I need to run AIR to spun cats? I don't see a fitting on the spun metallic cat ad images...I do have (best) Kooks headers and Y merge, but then again...I don't want to lose anything BEFORE the cutout. But do I agree your idea is quietest, a guy few years back did same on a 455 LSX Camaro, Kooks fabricated his exhaust for him.

00Bluz28 and Blk98vert: I like idea of adding a magnaflow bullet but AFTER the cutout if I can get one to fit there, maybe a 12", (I don't have my car to measure right now but click on the first thumbnail IMAGE above, tight fit but do-able?).

THEN if still too loud 99 Bluz28 suggests two Magnaflows #14416 (2.5" in/out 4" dia., 14" case L), in the tail pipes, polished (of course!) Need to make sure they fit, did anyone try it? I think they would look killer peeking out the back of my black rollcaged vert too!

Mean greeenZ, Blue98Z28, CamaroKing, OK that would be cheapest, just change out with Aerochamber or Magnaflow to replace the Gibson.... IF, IF, IF....this REALLY quiets it down? But THIS high compression stroker LS2 just seems to be way louder than most to begin with! What may be quiet on your car....not on mine? Several people said Gibson, along with Aerochamber was quietest in a previous thread (that is, compared to SLP Dual Dual)...So I gambled on that, but definitely NOT on my car!

86lxnotch: Great idea! Do they make a 10 second Prius now? Sign me up!

Thanks!
Rambo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Maybe a Dynomax bullet behind the cutout, the ends are rounded for better clearance for Driveshaft? Magnaflows on the tailpipes...

Pretty much same sound deadening I would guess?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Magnaflow looks to be your best bet. Every Magnaflow muffler I've ever heard sounds really quiet and tame at idle and easy cruising.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Phoenix,Thanks good to hear! Hey you don't happen to have a photo of your dual dual w bullets peeking out do ya?

Hey I really appreciate all the quick help everybody!

Rambo
Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not the best pic, but here is one. I've got the bullet mufflers that came with my dual system from Texas Speed. Definately not quiet. Will be even less quiet once I intall heads and cam.
Attached Thumbnails Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!-natews61.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't even tell my car has an MS4 in it because the Hooker is so quiet. I'm 11.5 to 1 also. But you can't tell until until you nail it.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, don't bother with putting a bullet muffler after the cut-out you won't be able to get a long enough muffler to do much good at all. I'd check and see how much room you have around you tail pipes. Who knows, you might actually have room for 5" diameter or oval mufflers!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

99bluz28, yeah I kinda worried if a small bullet is waste of time/money. If it's anything like the resonator I put on the Z (aftermuffler),next to no help at all.

I like your idea to squeeze in tailpipe 5" diameters or - even better - ovals!

Stainless Steel OVALS:
I'll figure the ones with the most volume I can fit under there!

HP-2 Flowmaster HP-2 stainless steel Ovals - 4" x 5.5" x 12 or 18"
132 or 167 each!

Dynatech Split Flo 4.5 x 7" x 14"
100 bucks each

Borla XR1 7 7/8" x 4.5" x 12" Ovals
142 bucks each!

Magnaflow Ovals 5 x 8 x 14" - But I don't see a 2.5" in/out on Jegs though...and it's kinda thick at 5"!

THIN center/center or offset/offset REGULAR MUFFLERS might even fit...

Magnaflow Universal 4" x 9" x 14" center/center or offset in/out POLISHED stainless steel
75 bucks each
PROBABLY FIRST CHOICE FOR QUIET IF THEY FIT BACK THERE...

Pypes Race Pro or Violators 4 x 9 x 14 stainless
64 - 65 bucks!

Borla PRO XS 4 x 9.5 x 14 center in/out or offset in/out
OUCH! 154 Bucks each!!!!

I have a lift in my shop to play with this idea.
I plan to post photos when it's sorted out-

Quick Reply: Unique Exhaust need QUIETER!