Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Y-Pipe Fitment...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TSP Y-Pipe Fitment...

So I just recently installed my headers yesterday. I'd like to first start off by saying how easy the installation of my Pacesetters were...man, once I got the stock exhaust manifolds off, they just went right in.

Now for the y-pipe. I understand it is difficult to make a one-size fits all y-pipe, and that I may need to modify it to get it to fit right, and I am totally okay with that. I just want some suggestions.

My y-pipe hangs really low...like maybe 4-5 inches from the ground on the drivers side and I am on stock ride height. I have tried adjusting the front most drivers pipe, but it just makes it bang the floorboard(still does it even now.) Secondly, it made my SLP LM2 really off center, so from the rear of my car it looks like my whole exhaust is shifted about 3-4 inches to the right.

Any ideas on what I need to do? Should I just take it to an exhaust shop and have them look at it, maybe weld the pipe together instead of using these clamps?

Once again, no issues with TSP here, they offer a great product for a great price. Just need some input on how to get it to fit better and tuck up higher.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you would, send me a picture of the y-pipe on the vehicle to lonnie@texas-speed.com and I'll see if I can see what the problem is on that. Typically it's just a pipe turned the wrong way etc.

Thanks,
Lonnie
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

I'd also like to point out that these clamps are awful...lol.

You can see here I have it up as high as I can get it.

Here is the clearance next to my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Little further view back of the clearance.

Up near the clamp you can see I cannot get this y-pipe up any higher.

I tried to re-adjust it today, taking everything off and gradually putting it together, also held it up with a jack while tightening. Still the same.

Last edited by StryfeS13; 10-29-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant for the life of me understand why the pipe on the driver side does not have the flattened relief in it to clear that rib under the car. The headers are low enough and then the y pipe has to angle down from there. The pacesetter y pipe comes straight off the header and doesnt dip down. The merge on the pacesetter is not as nice but other than that its really the best fitting y out there.

On a side note.... what I usually do even with the pacesetter y is cut that rib out. It gets you about another 1/2" clearance. Be careful if you do because the fuel lines are close.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks fine to me.

However, I agree those clamps are horrible.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I cant for the life of me understand why the pipe on the driver side does not have the flattened relief in it to clear that rib under the car. The headers are low enough and then the y pipe has to angle down from there. The pacesetter y pipe comes straight off the header and doesnt dip down. The merge on the pacesetter is not as nice but other than that its really the best fitting y out there.

On a side note.... what I usually do even with the pacesetter y is cut that rib out. It gets you about another 1/2" clearance. Be careful if you do because the fuel lines are close.
That's exactly what I did, and I don't regret it at all. OP, it takes some tweaking to get it right and get good clearance. I had to cut about 2" off my I-pipe on the SLP before I did the MagnaMouth conversion.

There's some pics and install stuff in two old threads of mine. Feel free to have a look.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ll-pics-3.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...finally-3.html
Old 10-30-2013, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Whigham, what are those clamps called and how expensive are they? Should I just get my pipe welded together instead..? I don't see the necessity of these clamps.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by StryfeS13
Whigham, what are those clamps called and how expensive are they? Should I just get my pipe welded together instead..? I don't see the necessity of these clamps.
You can definitely weld them if you want to. My duals are, except the header connection and the two mufflers.

The clamps I got at Pep Boys. The cheapo auto places don't have them like Autozone. Think pep Boys or Oreilleys. I believe they were the Accuseal SS clamps. About 10 bucks a piece. Well worth it if you don't want leaks. They don't have a step built into them. Once you hit it with an impact, or tighten it with some actual muscle, they form themselves to the transition, and give exactly as the name implies.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get them cheaper from Summit via the Walker brand. They're called TorcTite.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Originally Posted by demonspeed
You can get them cheaper from Summit via the Walker brand. They're called TorcTite.
I went for these simply bc they were polished and complimented the polished Y nicely. Also, I needed them THAT DAY, lol.

Whichever you choose OP, get the ones that aren't stepped. They seal better on the pipe transitions.

Quick Reply: TSP Y-Pipe Fitment...