Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ez2cdave: Not unless one of you want to buy a set of Kooks, and sending them to us for testing. I think TSP did a test one time against there's on the engine dyno, and it was only like 1-2hp difference between the two. Can't remember for sure.

We just finished up the head and cam car yesterday. It made 377rwhp. Not sure why it was lower than usual, but it currently has 1 3/4" longtubes and a cut-out. He is bringing it in tomorrow again for the 1 7/8" fitment test. Let you guys know how it goes.

Sean
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thats a little scary. H/C setup making only that much power.......
Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

Did it make that on a mustang dyno? And what heads? I made 385 with stock 799 heads, and everything listed in sig on a mustang dyno. My car is a stalled auto tho!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Sponsor

Ya, we need to look further into it. Those combos usually make 440-460rwhp.

Combo:
-5.7L Engine
-Stage 1 PRC 243's
-238/242 .605"/.610" Cam
-1 3/4" Longtubes/Y-Pipe/Cut-Out
-Edelbrock Victor Jr intake w/Elbow/92mm TB
-Stock Rockers w/Trunnion Kit

I believe the block was decked making it around 11:1 comp. Not 100% sure.
-6 Speed Trans
-Stock Rear End
(Yes we have a mustang 1100MD Dyno)

Sean

Last edited by Speed Engineering; 04-24-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
ez2cdave: Not unless one of you want to buy a set of Kooks, and sending them to us for testing.
According to your website, you guys sell them. Why would I need to send them to you ?

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/1...eaders-y-pipes

You could just pull a set of them out of the warehouse and test them. Or do you just have them "drop-shipped" from Kooks, rather than actually have them "in stock" ?

Now, if you were to sell me a set of Kooks at "dead cost", I might consider doing that . . . Run all the tests and then ship them out to me. A $1000 set of Kooks probably has a "Dealer Cost" of 50% of or more.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
According to your website, you guys sell them. Why would I need to send them to you ?

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/1...eaders-y-pipes

You could just pull a set of them out of the warehouse and test them. Or do you just have them "drop-shipped" from Kooks, rather than actually have them "in stock" ?

Now, if you were to sell me a set of Kooks at "dead cost", I might consider doing that . . . Run all the tests and then ship them out to me. A $1000 set of Kooks probably has a "Dealer Cost" of 50% of or more.
Probably because they don't want to eat the cost of having to sell a set of Kooks as open box or used parts. I seriously doubt he's making a whole lot of profit off a set of Kooks since Summit sells them with free shipping at a super competitive price. Also, most shops do drop ship directly from the manufacturer on items like this. No point in keeping a super expensive set of headers in stock when you will have to pay shipping on them twice if you do sell them.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Sponsor

ez2cdave: It was a joke. Yes, we are dealers, but we still don't want to spend that much money to run a quick test of a few hp +or-. We would need an engine dyno to be accurate enough to run the test anyways. Chassis dyno's move a few rwhp every run we do even without changes made to the vehicle.

Sean

Last edited by Speed Engineering; 04-25-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for results on the 1 7/8ths as I will probably be stepping up to them for nitrous use. Will they work with the ypipe that fits your 1 3/4 headers by chance? He Sean, it might be a good idea for you guys to try cutting the reduced part off the ypipe so it can stay a true 3.5" and having a 3.5" or 4" cutout directly off the 3.5" part of the ypipe to compare between the true duals. This would be a good comparison for guys just wanting to go the single cutout route like I did. Pics show what Im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!-2014-04-21-19.32.14.jpg   Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!-2014-04-21-19.32.49.jpg   Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!-2014-04-21-19.32.28.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ez2cdave: It was a joke. Yes, we are dealers, but we still don't want to spend that much money to run a quick test of a few hp +or-. We would need an engine dyno to be accurate enough to run the test anyways. Chassis dyno's move a few rwhp every run we do even without changes made to the vehicle.

Sean
Sean,

Mine was a joke, too . . .

Seriously, it would be "worth it" for you "sacrifice" a set of Kooks for Dyno-testing.

If the Speed Engineering headers are "close" (maybe even better ) to the Kooks, for 20% - 25% of the cost of Kooks, you will sell a TON of them, both in 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" . . . Same thing for the Exhaust Systems !!!

If that is the case, people will be saying "Kooks, who's that ?" and the only people still buying Kooks would be "status buyers", looking to by a "name", once the word spreads, far & wide !

As for the Dyno, I bet a couple of other Sponsors on LS1Tech could help you out . . . Also, I would rather see an ENGINE DYNO shootout, as opposed to a CHASSIS DYNO comparison. Too many variables, as you said, with RWHP. On an engine dyno, the only "change" is the header swaps !!!

"Power" is "Power", regardless if it is a BHP Flywheel number or a RWHP number . . . I am predicting that the Kooks will not have much, if any "advantage" .

Last edited by ez2cdave; 04-25-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd surmise that most people who look at Kooks in the first place aren't necessarily looking to go the cheapest route. They'll pay the huge premium for that 1-2hp.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about making some 1 7/8th headers for my 6.2 Denali? $900 for a set of Kooks uncoated headers is rediculous. Lots of guys on performancetrucks.net side are looking for an answer to either Kooks or Ebay ones for the NNBS trucks.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Sean,

Mine was a joke, too . . .

Seriously, it would be "worth it" for you "sacrifice" a set of Kooks for Dyno-testing.

If the Speed Engineering headers are "close" (maybe even better ) to the Kooks, for 20% - 25% of the cost of Kooks, you will sell a TON of them, both in 1 3/4" and 1 7/8" . . . Same thing for the Exhaust Systems !!!

If that is the case, people will be saying "Kooks, who's that ?" and the only people still buying Kooks would be "status buyers", looking to by a "name", once the word spreads, far & wide !

As for the Dyno, I bet a couple of other Sponsors on LS1Tech could help you out . . . Also, I would rather see an ENGINE DYNO shootout, as opposed to a CHASSIS DYNO comparison. Too many variables, as you said, with RWHP. On an engine dyno, the only "change" is the header swaps !!!

"Power" is "Power", regardless if it is a BHP Flywheel number or a RWHP number . . . I am predicting that the Kooks will not have much, if any "advantage" .
Not many people buy KOOKS or ARH headers now for the HP. People swap header brands on here all the time and never really gain much going pacesetters to KOOKS or ARH given the same primary size so I feel the hp comment is moot. People buy those brands because they are made in the USA, support American workers and to boot, offer better quality.

That does not mean that these headers aren't made well. But there is still a quality difference. TSP already manufactures 1 7/8" stainless headers for less money than kooks and yet people still flock to the more pricey brands, usually for reasons mentioned above.

These headers look really nice and kudos for speed engineering for coming through on them, no doubt they will sell plenty of them as they look like a well made product and will give TSP's a nice run for the money!!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
Not many people buy KOOKS or ARH headers now for the HP. People swap header brands on here all the time and never really gain much going pacesetters to KOOKS or ARH given the same primary size so I feel the hp comment is moot. People buy those brands because they are made in the USA, support American workers and to boot, offer better quality.

That does not mean that these headers aren't made well. But there is still a quality difference. TSP already manufactures 1 7/8" stainless headers for less money than kooks and yet people still flock to the more pricey brands, usually for reasons mentioned above.

These headers look really nice and kudos for speed engineering for coming through on them, no doubt they will sell plenty of them as they look like a well made product and will give TSP's a nice run for the money!!
I believe that people buy Kooks, for the most part, for "bragging rights" and because they are "pushed" in magazines and online forums.

I want to see "real numbers", not "claimed numbers". From what I have seen so far, Speed Engineering is the best "ticket" to "power with economy" !

I predict that, all else being equal, the "HP Spread" among SE, KOOKS, TSP, PACESETTER, etc. headers could be counted on one hand .
Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Sponsor

Just got a chance to get online. Good news we test fitted the 1 7/8" everything fit really well. Slid right in with plenty clearance.

Here is the crazy part. As you know we dynoed the car before with 1 3/4" PaceSetter headers at 377rwhp. I was measuring the two different headers inside primaries, and there was a full .300" difference between the two. The PaceSetter 1 3/4" were welded on the inside causing a huge restriction. Basically making it an 1 5/8" header. We put it back on the dyno. Same timing/fuel etc. and it made 416rwhp picking up 500rpm on the top. Same Y-Pipe and cut-out etc.

Next week we will build the true dual exhaust for it. I am assuming we will see another 10-15rwhp from previous builds we have done. Either way it was a shock to all of us at the shop today. Never expected that kind of a gain. We were thinking maybe 10-15rwhp, but we under estimated the flow restrictions making such a big difference.

All around good day.

Sean
Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Any thoughts on selling specific parts of that dual exhaust system if you end up making one available?
Old 04-26-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In for pricing
Old 04-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Sponsor

97WS6SCharged: We will just be selling it as a full kit.

Cstone812: Should hopefully have a ball park on pricing next week for the headers.

Thanks
Sean
Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

I believe that people buy Kooks, for the most part, for "bragging rights" and because they are "pushed" in magazines and online forums.

I want to see "real numbers", not "claimed numbers". From what I have seen so far, Speed Engineering is the best "ticket" to "power with economy" !

I predict that, all else being equal, the "HP Spread" among SE, KOOKS, TSP, PACESETTER, etc. headers could be counted on one hand .
This is exactly what I said people gain little to nothing when they go to the better header brands and people have real world results in that with back to back dyno runs. The price difference is not for hp. Anyone buying them for that is foolish.

I didn't buy my ARH's because of the name. In fact I ran BBK's for 5 years prior and they fit well. I bought them because they put American industry guy to work and at the time tsp's were only about 250 cheaper and after installing, BBK's TSP's, Grots, Pacesetters etc I wanted to see the quality difference. Every one of those header brands required something to be dented, cut or jack up and removed (motor) to be installed especially if they were 1 7/8" my arh's practically fell in. I also wanted welded in wideband bungs for tuning which they installed at no charge.

@Speed Engineering. Do you have any pics of those pacesetters? I'm inetersted to see that as I've installed a couple sets and never saw that before? Maybe just a bad set.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Cstone812: Should hopefully have a ball park on pricing next week for the headers. Thanks Sean
Take my money!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyno sheets?

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!