Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
My guess is Fedex will say it was improperly packed. Again just a guess. As bad as the box looked bubble wrap around the collectors would have prevented any damage.
Glad I saw this, I bet they'll say they weren't packed correctly too.
FedEx is the worst & won't even deliver to my address now because I've had so many problems & gave them hell on the phone more than once.
Guess I can't buy Speed Engineering headers.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, gotta love the page and a half drama over a dented collector lol. Not really sure why everything was posted here instead of contacting us directly over a shipping issue. Of course we will take care of the customer.

With that being said shipping is a numbers game for us. We actually do not add full coverage insurance to our headers because the number of boxes we send out compared to claims is only around .25%. If we added insurance to our packages it would cost us several thousand dollars a month, which doesn't make sense for the amount of claims. Not to mention shipping companies usually use the excuse of poor packaging if anything comes out from inside the box. Even though it came out of the box from dropping the package in the first place.

Packaging is also a numbers game for us. We ship our products for the most part as an industry standard. Headers in plastic bags with cardboard dividing them, and bubble wrapped Y-Pipes. Yes, we could go further as the customer has stated adding insulation, more bubble wrap, etc. But, we have to look at it in numbers. If less than 1% of our customers have shipping damage issues, why would we invest thousands of dollars a year in more packaging. It would be a bad business decision. Instead we can just take care of the few that do come across any issues.

Hope, that helps explain our perspective on shipping, packaging, and damage claims. 2xLS1 I will respond to your email shortly.

Thanks again for the business guys..
Sean
Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we all know now a days that stuff can and will get damaged during shipment. Just fix what you can.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

One thing I can not figure out is why people go to a forum BEFORE complaining to the vendor or company involved. Do they really think the issue will be solved HERE?? Some would rather vent than resolve, I think.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
I think we all know now a days that stuff can and will get damaged during shipment. Just fix what you can.
So let's say you order an engine and it arrives all messed up because it wasn't packaged and crated properly.... are you going to just fix what you can or are you going to call the vendor and have them make it right and replace parts that are damaged? I see what you are saying but we can't just let shipping companies get away with damaging ****.

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
Man, gotta love the page and a half drama over a dented collector lol. Not really sure why everything was posted here instead of contacting us directly over a shipping issue. Of course we will take care of the customer.

With that being said shipping is a numbers game for us. We actually do not add full coverage insurance to our headers because the number of boxes we send out compared to claims is only around .25%. If we added insurance to our packages it would cost us several thousand dollars a month, which doesn't make sense for the amount of claims. Not to mention shipping companies usually use the excuse of poor packaging if anything comes out from inside the box. Even though it came out of the box from dropping the package in the first place.

Packaging is also a numbers game for us. We ship our products for the most part as an industry standard. Headers in plastic bags with cardboard dividing them, and bubble wrapped Y-Pipes. Yes, we could go further as the customer has stated adding insulation, more bubble wrap, etc. But, we have to look at it in numbers. If less than 1% of our customers have shipping damage issues, why would we invest thousands of dollars a year in more packaging. It would be a bad business decision. Instead we can just take care of the few that do come across any issues.

Hope, that helps explain our perspective on shipping, packaging, and damage claims. 2xLS1 I will respond to your email shortly.

Thanks again for the business guys..
Sean
You are welcome for the business. It's a solid product, and even though the Y pipe requires modification to fit with my other aftermarket parts, I went into it knowing this. The long tubes fit amazing and the quality is excellent. Your business model makes perfect sense. I wouldn't view the conversation about his issue as a negative. If anything it's a positive because myself and others see you standing behind good customer service and shipping him a new set if he is unhappy with the suggested fix. This will result in more referrals and even more business.

When my STB from UMI had a defect in the powder coating, they sent me a new one and I sent the old one back to them. I paid nothing out of pocket on the shipping.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
One thing I can not figure out is why people go to a forum BEFORE complaining to the vendor or company involved. Do they really think the issue will be solved HERE?? Some would rather vent than resolve, I think.
It's a learning process. We all start somewhere. Customer will most likely contact the vendor first in the future if ever he gets a damaged part from another vendor. He probably saw the damage, and figured this was the fastest way to get in touch with the vendor. But like I said, this actually turned out good because now we all see that Speed Engineering is a top notch vendor and is making it right whereas if this wasn't posted, we wouldn't know much about how this company takes care of their customers.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well said, 5.7stroker!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I do everything I can to ignore your drivel here but there is no email address on their web site. I refrained from posting the pics of the damage here so I could email them the pics directly. Now go and clutter up some other thread with your useless drivel.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

2xLS1- Wow, I post a little basic truth and you go all crybaby on me.
Besides Email, there are PHONE NUMBERS and STREET ADDRESSES or PO BOX #'s.
Take your weak excuses and cry somewhere else.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for proving my point. You should change your user name to Cliff Clavin because that is what always comes to mind when I see your posts.

I for one would have liked to have seen how their product was packed before I ordered and what potential damage could result. I would have gladly paid them $20 more to add packing material to the box. Spending $20 or even more is nothing to me compared to the hassle getting a damaged header replaced is causing me.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Side note: For Fedex Ground or UPS standard, if you look at the shipping requirements doc its long and complicated.. , every package must be packed to survive a 4' drop any number of times required to transport, I've worked on consulting gigs in both companies warehouses and the sorting equipment in 1 warehouse drops every box that goes through it 4' a minimum of 4 times, sometimes up to 8 to get it to the outbound truck. Only freight thats palletized gets any love at all..

I receive hundreds of packages a month of computer equipment and I'd say overall I get about 1% with outside damage and about .25% with damage to the equipment. Most of it comes Fedex .. But I've also worked with UPS and had the same rate.. Now once stuff goes 3 day or better its usually a different story.. I've only had a couple bad damage claims on overnight stuff..
Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I for one would have liked to have seen how their product was packed before I ordered and what potential damage could result. I would have gladly paid them $20 more to add packing material to the box. Spending $20 or even more is nothing to me compared to the hassle getting a damaged header replaced is causing me.
Cliff here- You're STILL crying??? Man up and accept what happens OR call the party involved instead of looking for sympathy
here. What a bunch of useless drivel.... oh wait that's your line... lol
Here's a little-known fact; the stats shown in the post above show what happened to your header is very rare. Deal with Speedmaster on it. They have said they will work with you on all your drama on a dented collector. But if you keep crying they might just wash their hands of you. Cliff out....

Last edited by G Atsma; 10-13-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in Speed Engineering's thread started by Speed Engineering about Speed Engineering Headers discussing what happened when i bought Speed Engineering headers. Why are you here Cliff?
Old 10-13-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in Speed Engineering's thread started by Speed Engineering about Speed Engineering Headers discussing what happened when i bought Speed Engineering headers. Why are you here Cliff?
To spew little-known facts around and watch you be a PITA to Speed Engineering AND others, that's all. Notice all the responses you are getting from them? Me neither.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Any plans for making a Y pipe that has dual cutouts that has good ground clearance?

Something like

or

But with the much better Y merge that you already manufacture? Our first attempt at welding in the cutouts didn't go so well. I will create a separate thread with pictures on that.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I promise you an exhaust shop can fix. They have a die that shrinks the pipe and a die that expands the pipe. They can shrink it firsts to get rid of the point then expand back to 3"O.D. or whatever makes a good slip fit with your y pipe. Take the y pipe tube with you.

I know your pissed and I admit I probably would be too. Getting car parts in the mail gets us guys excited and for something to be wrong is a bummer but hey, at this point it is what it is. The exhaust shop will have your parts on the car car quicker than sending them back.
Agree with all that was said here. This is literally a 5 minute fix and the pipe will be good as new.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

By all means feel free to do that when you get a damaged set of headers. Again less than $1 worth of packing material prevents this. I paid $15 more than their normal shipping charges for delivery. Perhaps if you order another set they can just send you the damaged one I sent back.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Easy there killer. Just trying to help as I've spent a lot of time in exhaust shops. I didn't bend your ******* collector dude.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Pics of my speed engineering setup here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#post19751077

I'm about to order another Speed engineering Y pipe and run just a single cutout in the I-pipe because our initial attempt to get good clearance on a set of dual cutouts just after the headers was quite the failed attempt and we cut up the first Y pipe.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Easy there killer. Just trying to help as I've spent a lot of time in exhaust shops. I didn't bend your ******* collector dude.
Then why are you telling me what to do about it?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nobody is telling you to do anything. They wouldn't dare! lol
He is just putting ideas out there so you can fix it and go on your merry way.
But I guess you don't need any help or advice...
Cliff out....

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Race Version Headers Now Available!!