Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy9s9s
after all the venom that was spewed by the ignorance of this site, granatelli has gone to great lengths to prove and defend their product. ill definitely try these out vs my oem when i get them with my H/C setup and toss up some dyno results. 90 day return warranty along with a lifetime warranty? not really losing out on anything here.
Thanks. 1000's sold and none ever returned

I only fear when guys are out to prove a part won't work - how far will they go? Especially when they have a marketing degree
Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Just got back from the dyno.

No gains.

428/418 with the MSD wires
427/418 with the Granatelli's.

Same dyno, same day, same engine temp.
Changed the wires on the dyno.
MSD wires ohmed at 28.5, Granatelli's 0ohms.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, there's one.

Who else? Yay or nay?

I'm not out to "prove" anything just hoping someone does, this isn't my fight as I'm not doing the testing.

I just couldn't help see the irony of someone calling people who have some first hand experience with myths surrounding ignition related HP gains ignorant because he/she would rather believe some marketing gimicks.

However, if you would like to see what happens when someone with a Advertising/PR degree does when they get fucked by a company, poke around the threads about my little brother's 2011 5.0 that has a dead trans at 5k miles and Ford won't warranty it. Video on youtube (nearly 1600 views so far) and lots of words spreading on Facebook too. And so far I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt...next step is signs, banners, and flyers to take to the competing brand dealerships filing complaints with the BBB and Attorney General etc.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 04-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like JR said. They didn't even do the initial testing. A magazine tested them. An unbiased test.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the MSD's are brand new, I believe that graph. But I've measured the voltage of some and even after just a year or little longer the resistance was about 2-3x the initial rating. I was VERY suprised. Curious if the GMS wires would do the same.....
Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

My MSD wires have about 20,xxx miles on them. If they showed power the guy who dyno'd my car said he would start using them on everything he builds. We only made one pull because there were no gains. If there would have been even 5 we would have made a few more.

As I mentioned before the quality of the wires seem very nice. But for no gains and $145 I will be sending them back and going with MSD's for the wifes Avalanche or the stock LS2 wires.

We tried to do the testing as accuately as we good. Same dyno, same time, same temp. I don't know how it could be any better.

I am not bashing Granatelli at all and if you look at my posts I have never swung on his nuts. I was just annoyed by stupid people. As long as I get my money back there's no hard feelings.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Thunderstruck, if you'd like us to bump up the views of the blown 5.0 transmission, how 'bout posting the link?

I'd sure like to share it with my FOMOCO preachers.

I was at the NY Autoshow yesterday. The Ford Superduty chassis looks like a toy compared to the GM HD chassis. The Transit Connect truck is made in Turkey(!) The new Explorer will NOT have an available V8. The Crown Vic/Town Car is gone. I'm all for buying American and have liked/respected Ford stuff in the past but are they going in the right direction? The GM stuff looks very exciting.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...smissions.html
Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Thanks for that Dan. Info sent to all my Mustang brothers.

Funny how they always blab how great their cars are but fall silent when it comes to problems like this.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The poster and video in that thread are his car. I took the picture and made the "motivational" so feel free to share it without worry. My picture = my copyright.

But let's not get off topic in this thread, I would like to see more results of testing
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

And thanks liljay for posting your results. Did you get the high temp version? These wires direct are $105. Would you keep them if they were $105?

I don't think GMS has ever stated that their wires will produce more power. They have shown some videos from themselves and some statements from others where swapping to their wires have shown a power increase. Regardless, I'm keeping mine. Better looking, higher quality than any other wire set on the market and lifetime warrantied.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

The ones I got where $145. They have the high temp sleeves on them. If I needed a set of wires I would keep them buy my MSD's seem to be working fine. My only concern is the MSD's with the headers. I am using the factory heat shields so I am sure that will help. I'm sure there are hundreds of cars out there that are running MSD/stock wires with headers with no problems.

I am tired of working on this damn car and I want zero problems out of it.

I am sure I ohmed the wires right. I put it on 200 and tested them, there were other values, 20k, 2k, etc. The MSD wires only showed 28-28.5. I can't remember what Granatelli showed on their video buy I'm sure it has higher than that.

Maybe if my wires ohmed higher it would have made a difference. But I can't see a difference from 28ohms to zero.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Thanks for that Dan. Info sent to all my Mustang brothers.

Funny how they always blab how great their cars are but fall silent when it comes to problems like this.
All cars have their issues. That's just the way I think of it now. Even ours...... But it's few and far between.. Alts, weak T56 and the weak rear. That's pretty much it. But then again, this is only the first year of the new 5.0 setups, so It may just be growing pains.. Not bitchin at ya.. just thinking out loud.. And not defending ford either... I just see it as there's no such thing as a perfect vehicle.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

No gains.

exactly what mine read 25 ohm, msd wires...mine have 20k on them too

and the results are exactly what i thought too...don't believe the hype and be a sucker unless you want the warranty or high temp wires...don't buy them for hp

independant testing for the win...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrs1313

and the results are exactly what i thought too...don't believe the hype and be a sucker unless you want the warranty or high temp wires...don't buy them for hp

I'm glad I could actually contribute something to the board.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrs1313

Agreed, may only be one independent result, but more are sure to come. Thanks for results liljay.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10

No gains.

if you look back several pages.....maybe alot of pages....lol
i said back there that comparing 30ish ohm msd wires to 0 ohm granatelli wires would not be a good comparison and that it would probably make the exact same HP or very similar HP.

You have short MSD wires that are all 28.5ohms not 400-800ohms like in the video, MSD and Granatelli wires will always out perform the stock 400-800ohm wires.
My dyno test in a week or 2 will also prove this as my wires are custom length ranging from 45ohms to 135ohms with my MSD wires, and all my granatelli wires no matter what the length are 0ohms.

The granatelli wires are a good solid product, and for your comparison you have compared a very good wire with another very good wire that is ever so slightly 28ohms less resistence better than MSD. The margin is too small to see HP change. If you had of compared stock 400-800ohm wires to MSD and granatelli you would find both MSD and granatelli will be miles ahead.

We also tested AFR on my mates car a few pages back with firecore50 wires they were all 38ohms and his stock wires were all about 440ohms his AFR changed from 1500rpm-6000rpm by 0.5 leaner and 6000-7000rpm by 0.3leaner idle was the same. This goes to show the ohms in the wires did make a difference when dropping 400ohms of electrical resistence.

The whole point to these wires were HP gain over stock, not HP gain over another great quality set of wires.

I have spoken to firecore50 about his wires and when i told him about HP gains on the granatelli wires his reaction was one of "yeah of course it will gain HP when comparing it to stock 800ohm wires, all my wires will make more HP over stock wires"

As you have said you wanted more HP over MSD, you didn't get that result im sure JR will have no problem with a refund, but if you do dyno again test it against the stock wires, i have no doubt you will see a gain in HP in comparison.

As for mine they are custom length and if nothing else atleast the same thing will be happening in each cylinder as each wire has the same ohm resistence 00.3ohms.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good post O.N. and I agree 100% with everything you said. I wonder if on Granatelli's test if they used the MSD 8.8 wires. I know the LS wires are smaller. However in their video they show the stock wires on that Camaro.

A friend of mine has a 99' Tahoe and he is needing to put wires on it. We are going to Ohm his stock wires and see what they are. IF they are high I will probably give him my MSD's and keep the Granatelli's. I'll let you know what his wires ohm at.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

there might be a very small horsepower gain but if they truly gained 15rwhp everyone would know this "trick"
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Like JR said. They didn't even do the initial testing. A magazine tested them. An unbiased test.
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.ph...306235&start=0

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??