Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011 | 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Why should this be locked? That would be silly.
If you have to ask, then it would seem silly.

The operation of an ignition system has been explained in detail, 20 million times on this site & I'm not gonna discuss its' operation again. Regardless, there's always those who believe in magic.

It won't get locked because it's discussing a product from a sponsor.

Lock it up.
Old 03-03-2011 | 03:55 PM
Banned

Would it make sense that a better/hotter spark would improve the performance of any engine, regardless of other modifications?
Short answers...........YES and NO.

YES....for a high compression race engine or a "high horespower" forced induction or nitrous build. Key thing....HIGH POWER BUILDS. But better wires ALONE, without a more powerful ignition to deliver a MORE POWERFUL spark to take advantage of the better wires and a larger spark plig gap...........NO WAY IN HELL.

I've tried super-duper special wires on my 427ci....they did absolutely nothing. Nothing. Real life test, it really took place, I have the info everyone is looking for.

And NO........as someone in this thread said....the tiny little unmeasurable help that all these alleged "better" wires MAY provide.......NO, it won't do anything by way of improved performance. Not on the dyno and not seat of the pants feel. But I'll give you this.....you might save 1 gallon of gas every 10,000 miles through that tiny bit of help.

Look, if just a wire change offered REAL HP gains, I would get another set because it will add up with everything else. But they don't do **** UNLESS they are coupled with a better ignition system.

Problem in this thread for some is they have no understanding of WHY builders would want a better, more powerful spark capability.......one reason....so they can set a larger gap to make that spark LARGER....in an effort to burn a high compression fuel/air mixture and/or to get a better spark over a larger bore piston.

The only people who say they can feel a difference are usually the people who wasted that $105.00. They can all of sudden rip 2nd and 3rd gear, they can now beat their friends Mustang, they pull a half a car length on cars that normally pulled on them. Yada, yada, yada......

It will NEVER ever be proved on a dyno. I will pay anyone $1,000 cash if that takes place in front of me on a dyno of my choice. If it doesn't offer 15 HP....they pay me $1,000 and pay for the dyno sessions.
Any time.........any N/A engine with no more than 11.5:1 compression. And that test vehicle must have 100% perfectly functioning wires on it that do not misfire at all throughout the entire rpm range. No cars with broken wires or ones with 200,000 miles on it that are all messed up to begin with.

You find a plug wire set that will "by itself" make 15 HP for around $100 and you will make $10 million in one week from just 100,000 street/strip guys.....at a bare minimum. That would be the cheapest 15 HP mod ever designed in the automotive world. People would be going for that and holding off on their FAST 102mm intake....lol

Old 03-03-2011 | 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

^Good info. I think it will be funny though to see what shows up if someone dynos these @ Sjsingle i like the painted/pc coil brackets you got there
Old 03-03-2011 | 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If you have to ask, then it would seem silly.

The operation of an ignition system has been explained in detail, 20 million times on this site & I'm not gonna discuss its' operation again. Regardless, there's always those who believe in magic.

It won't get locked because it's discussing a product from a sponsor.

Lock it up.
Dude if you don't like what's being said here then exit the fvckign thread
Old 03-03-2011 | 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

and BTW..........my SOTP dyno says the wires got me a extra 30 hp
Old 03-03-2011 | 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

they look nice. id consider them if i needed new wires which i dont.
Old 03-03-2011 | 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Considering the last set of wires I bought were off brand with a warranty that cost me like $60 and I burned one up in 2 weeks, regardless of gains "which if you read GRAN did not claim it was a third party" I think for an extra 40 bucks for wires that will last forever that are better then stock at least in their build, I'll take the chance.. I'll be picking these up in a week or so...
Old 03-03-2011 | 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by baalic
Considering the last set of wires I bought were off brand with a warranty that cost me like $60 and I burned one up in 2 weeks, regardless of gains "which if you read GRAN did not claim it was a third party" I think for an extra 40 bucks for wires that will last forever that are better then stock at least in their build, I'll take the chance.. I'll be picking these up in a week or so...
There ya go.....thats a reason to buy well built aftermarket wires. Unfortunately for me...I thought Taylor 10.4mm Thunderbolts would do that for me...longevity...I was wrong....5-6 of them broke at the boot while pulling them off by the boot and the wires inside started unwinding from the wire.....they were trash at that point. They came apart so easy.

When I get my new engine done here pretty soon, I'll definitely be getting some aftermarket wires....maybe these Granitellis, who knows. I just want a well made set and some red color. I already know there's zero performance gains to be had.

Old 03-04-2011 | 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Dude if you don't like what's being said here then exit the fvckign thread

"Dude," I'm not in here as a troll; so, dream on. This site is one of few that isn't full of voo-doo remedies & products. What has been explained on this page alone is only one of the 20 billion times that it's been explained. Anyone considering this product needs to search & learn how an ignition system works, before blindly thinking that these wires alone are their answer.

Oh wait, let's start another 90 page thread abouth the new "Holley Street Warrior," so we can get 30 more free HP out of a magic intake. That way we'll have the intake, the wires & an empty wallet, LOL.
Old 03-04-2011 | 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

I would think you "lock it" people would want this to stay open. Especially since people are saying that they're going to dyno test the wires against stock wires. That way when someone starts a thread about wires that wastes your precious time, you can just post a link to this thread to shut the n00b$ up
Old 03-04-2011 | 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
No offense and I'm not saying they aren't likely great wires, but the butt dyno is a worse tool than a real dyno (which show enough variance as is) so that info is basically useless.
Yes because it's effected by the brain. Hence why we have the term "Mental mods" like the TB spacer, fancy exhaust tips, "polished" TB, an Air filter, smooth bellows or even an oil change (sometimes felt.) You did something to the car. So your brain, prolly subconsciously, wants to feel like the money spent was justified.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-04-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2011 | 05:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Just thinking about these wires and ordering them, my car has already picked up 23.7 SOTP HP!
Old 03-05-2011 | 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
You should keep the metal boot protecters on the cable ends

Originally Posted by bolek
No, it's win/win for Granatelli, if it works, you win big, if there is no gain, you get a lot of publicity. And no, this thing hasn't gone on for 6 pages because people are
hoping those wires don't work, just the opposite.
I like the way you think – I hope you are right. Forgive me for being skeptical though – this is not my first rodeo. Like I said 10 guys will be happy and 1 guy will say otherwise and everyone usually hyper focuses on that single test

Originally Posted by vette0009
Well Gold or Silver makes for the best Conductivity and the least resistance

So make your own wires, Boots and Conductors are an easy find,
Copper?

Stainless steel is spot on – 25 feet still produced 0 ohm drop

Originally Posted by LS6427
You must do the back-to-back runs when the engine is at the exact same temp........and still there is always different numbers between runs. I say do 4 runs AT LEAST. Two runs means nothing and proves nothing. This is how companies like K&N and others can safely lie about gains.....they just do a bunch of dyno runs AFTER they put their super-duper part on the engine....and wait till one spikes to their liking.......

So at least do them when the temp of the engine is identical.

This is what I mean about the syndics – while I understand what he is trying to say the comment about K&N as if they were deliberately deceiving the public ….

Originally Posted by X-ray
It looks like you're scared someone will independently dyno test them and show that your claims are flat out lies.
We're not looking for the bad, we're looking for the truth. And most of us already know spark plug wires don't increase horsepower.
More of the same banter – this is not constructive, it is meant to create more negative BS… However someone does an article on your car and say X-ray put a ton of time into his project and fails to mention your friend who helped does that make the entire article a flat out lie? The testing that was does was not done by Granatelli, it was tested by Westech – 100 miles from me and in FL 3000 miles away

Would it make sense that a better/hotter spark would improve the performance of any engine, regardless of other modifications?
Yes and no – Better spark is always good – Hotter does not mean better. Like going up a heat range does not always increase power, Likewise many people rush to drop a heat range or 2 when going forced induction and that is also not always the best route

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Everyone keeps throwing out 15hp. Was that on a truck with much longer plug wires or on an f-body with much shorter plug wires? The longer the wire, the more resistance, and the more a better wire is going to help. That's one thing the short wire f-body test has going against Granatelli. But if the resistance of the Granatelli is lower than stock there is going to be SOME improvement, that's not opinion it's just fact. It might be small and not register on a dyno, but it will be there. Maybe in the form of .01hp and .05mpg increase. But I'm an optimist in what seems to be a world of pessimists these days so I'm rooting for Granatelli.
Thanks - did you see the video?

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1345

Ford GT - http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1358

Cobra - http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1523

Viper – it is no fluke - http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1341

Originally Posted by safemode
optimizing the electrical system of your car is always a good thing to do. The question here is, are the spark plug wires a limiting factor in most of our cars performance.

fact: Gran wires are .1ohm. Regular wires we will say are 500ohms. They likely are much lower. .
Incorrect – factory wires are in the 900’s when brand new and degrade – the GMS wires NEVER degrade

Fact: The voltage drop across these wires will be 4mV for Gran. 50v for "stock".

Originally Posted by safemode
Fact: The coils are putting out roughly 40,000 volts. .
Granatelli Coils put out 80,000volts – The factory car coils from 1998 to around 2002 or ’03 were 45kv and the trucks were 60kv (KV is kilovolt and means 1000) around 04 or 05 all the GM coils were rated at 60kv – cars and trucks, LS1, LS2, LS3, LS5, LS6, LS7, LSA, L99 - etc

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
come again? Truck wires are the same length as f-body wires. The only wires that are longer are GEN IV wires. LS2/LS3/LS7 have longer wires than a LS1. It doesn’t matter if its a truck or car all the matters is if its a GEN III or GEN IV length plug wire. The GEN IV being slightly longer.
The truck wires are longer by 3” but in the case of GMS it makes no difference because we can cover the gap no problem. Therefore the results will be equally as good

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I wouldn't even believe 15rwhp on a SBC with foot upon foot of wire connecting the plugs to a single 50,000volt coil.

You're telling me plug wires 3-4" long connecting each plug to it's own high output coil is going to get that at stock compression levels? And you don't see why people here have their doubts?

Sounds like the people who get suckered into Monster brand HDMI cables.
Are you saying that bigger wires for your stereo is not better? – Again I understand why many are none believers – they don’t know any better because no one else has been able to achieve what we have and not produce RFI and EMI – that is where our patents came in – we got the best of both worlds

There ya go.....thats a reason to buy well built aftermarket wires. Unfortunately for me...I thought Taylor 10.4mm Thunderbolts would do that for me...longevity...I was wrong....5-6 of them broke at the boot while pulling them off by the boot and the wires inside started unwinding from the wire.....they were trash at that point. They came apart so easy.

When I get my new engine done here pretty soon, I'll definitely be getting some aftermarket wires....maybe these Granitellis, who knows. I just want a well made set and some red color. I already know there's zero performance gains to be had.

- Here we go again – and here is what we offer in red – a fully fire sleeved wires set.
- http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=335
-

Old 03-05-2011 | 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

i saw that you had those in the sleeves.....but it was more $$$$.........so I stayed with your non-sleeved ones.......no heat issues so its not a pro

wow.......on your website it says that you have a patent on your wires...........kewl
Old 03-05-2011 | 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Granatelli
- Here we go again – and here is what we offer in red – a fully fire sleeved wires set.

http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...-1545ht_lg.jpg
It would be great to have a wire that can be yanked from the wire itself and NOT by the boot, and will not break. Just because of how friggin hard it is to get a grip on a couple of the spark plug boot ends (two passengers side rear plugs) with our limited space in there.

Can those plugs be yanked by the wire...by chance?

Old 03-07-2011 | 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
wow.......on your website it says that you have a patent on your wires...........kewl
Should be no threats and no viruses

Wires have 2 patents - this is how we are the only ones that can run 0 ohm solid core wires with no EMI or RFI

It would be great to have a wire that can be yanked from the wire itself and NOT by the boot, and will not break. Just because of how friggin hard it is to get a grip on a couple of the spark plug boot ends (two passengers side rear plugs) with our limited space in there.

Can those plugs be yanked by the wire...by chance?

You are not really supposed to do that - but the amswer is yes - and the have a lifetime warranty
Old 03-07-2011 | 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

-
http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...-1545ht_lg.jpg
I don't care what anyone says... these are nice.
Old 03-08-2011 | 09:41 AM
Launching!

Are they made in the USA?
Old 03-08-2011 | 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Are you saying that bigger wires for your stereo is not better? – Again I understand why many are none believers – they don’t know any better because no one else has been able to achieve what we have and not produce RFI and EMI – that is where our patents came in – we got the best of both worlds
My Monster comment is based on HDMI. The cables are excellent quality and lifetime replacements so you don't have the HASSLE if they are damaged...but the signal they provide is no better than a $15 Walmart brand HDMI cable. So if you install them and don't damage them, there is no benefit other than looking nice.

I tried some high output truck coils on my car, if your info is correct then those coils produce 15,000volts more for each cylinder than the stock ones. Correct? 60,000v versus 45,000v. I saw zero gains at the track or by anything I could monitor in EFI live that would indicate increased performance.

"The voltage drop across these wires will be 4mV for Gran. 50v for "stock"."

So, no measurable real world gains from 15,000volts each...but claiming 10-15rwhp for 50v each.

That is the problem I'm having here.
Old 03-08-2011 | 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

G, can you please point me to the patent, I would like to read it.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??