Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting the Loudmouth (SF VS Powerstick)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Quieting the Loudmouth (SF VS Powerstick)

When I bought my car, the previous owner had installed a lm1. After owning the car for a few months I've decided it needs to be quieted. I don't care what anybody says, but the damn loudmouth is annoying even on an otherwise stock exhaust. I love the way it sounds at idle and at WOT, but everywhere in between, it's annoying. I fear that unless I take action, I've finally become a true redneck

I had originally decided on a moroso spiral flow in place of the lm resonator but I'm worried it might not quiet the exhaust enough. Would a powerstick be a better choice for what I'm looking to do?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put some steel wool in the resinator
Old 05-21-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I wouldn't worry about putting something else in there, you should just sell it and buy another catback. You could always change out mufflers, if you want to keep your catback.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off replacing the resonator with a bullet type muffler (SLP LM2, Dynomax or Borla), rather than stuffing it with steel wool or whatever.

Check out http://www.ls1sounds.com/ as they have sound samples of a Borlamouth and a Dynomouth, both are basically LM1 systems but the resonator is replaced with a bullet muffler from Borla or Dynomax. Also it has some samples of the LM2 catback system.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spiral flow will quiet it down more than a powerstick or a bullet muffler

I'll have two for sale here in the next week.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I actually already bought a spiral flow to put in place of the resonator but haven't installed it yet. I'm going to pay an exhaust shop to pop it in as it will need some sort of modification to be installed in place of the resonator. I don't want to pay to have it installed only to yank it in favor of a powerstick if that would be more suited for my situation.

Previous posts have suggested that another bullet won't do anything as far as quieting it down. I thought maybe a powerstick would quiet it more than another short bullet such as the spiral flow. Problem I've run into is that it seems all the reviews on the spiral flows are when people change to headers or duals. I don't even wanna think about what the regular LM would sound like with headers..........I'm already getting a headache as it is.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I'd swap the shotgun resonator for the bullet type from dynomax or slp. The borla one sounds almost too quiet.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

A common thing to do is pit BORLA mufflers on the exhaust instead of the SLP resonator -- people call this borlamouth

Search it up
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have stock manifolds? If so any of the solutions above is going to help. I have a borlamouth and it is still loud as hell but I have headers and offroad pipes. If unsure about whether the sound is going to be to your liking you could cut out the resonator. Make sure you measure so the piece you cut out matches the Spiral Flow then put the Spiral flow in with some 3" exhaust band clamps. It is still going to cost a few bucks but at least if you sell it the buyer can choose whichever set up to install. My .02
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Killer_Bluebird----Yep, I'm on stock manifolds and cats. Fortunately, I can pop the resonator without any cutting so that isn't too much of a problem. Based on what everybody is saying here, it appears my original plan to replace the lm resonator with a spiral flow is the way to go. I was throwing out the idea of removing the intermediate pipe along with the lm resonator and putting a longer powerstick in place.

PhillyCamaro16----I'm familiar with the "borlamouth" and the searches that I've done seem to indicate that it will change the sound, but not necessarily the overall decibel level. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

I agree with you, all of it is loud as hell when your this freeflowing .. I like it and could listen to the rasp and drone all day but some cant, plus it gets obnoxious if you try to go out somewhere nice -- that gets annoying .. it's the price you pay for being freeflow

You could also look into a whole new catback like a hooker or I have the Borla adjustable which would probably work reall nice for you if your willing to spend the 800 on a catback, I have it but just leave it wide open -- sounds great .. The hooker isnt to expensive, they flow well, and I dont think they're as obnoxious as your current setup

good luck

Quick Reply: Quieting the Loudmouth (SF VS Powerstick)