Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Belts, Idler pulleys, still squealing! GRRR!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replaced Belts, Idler pulleys, still squealing! GRRR!

I've been loving my new stroker, until about a week or so ago it developed a funny squeal once it warmed up. Thinking it might be the belts, I replaced them both with a goodyear gatorbacks. Did nothing. I removed the AC belt, thinking that my new AC compressor (cracked the housing on the old one swapping engines ) might be the problem, but with the AC belt disconnected it still squealed.

Today I went to Advance Auto and bought a new idler that mounts on the PS bracket, and a new pulley for my belt tensioner, and replaced both of them. Still squeaks. It doesn't do it when the engine is cold, only when it warms up and at low RPM, mostly just off-idle. Any ideas on what to check? I have a powerbond UD pulley, don't think that matters though.

Oh yeah, 99 C5, 40K on the accessories. Again, it is nothing that runs off the AC belt.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you tighten the balancer all the way down?
Sounds like a stupid question..Except I went through EXACTLY the same thing last week.
We assembled the motor on a stand & got the ARP balancer bolt as tight as we could there..Which amounted to not much..Well anyway..we buttoned every up & completly forgot.
So bottom line..check pulley alignment.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
Did you tighten the balancer all the way down?
Sounds like a stupid question..Except I went through EXACTLY the same thing last week.
We assembled the motor on a stand & got the ARP balancer bolt as tight as we could there..Which amounted to not much..Well anyway..we buttoned every up & completly forgot.
So bottom line..check pulley alignment.

Crank pulley is on very tight, I used a threaded rod to pull it on, an old bolt to torque it down, and stretched a new bolt on place. It's pinned too, so there's no way it can back the bolt out. Thanks though
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Here's an interesting tidbit..I found out the hard way that F-body balancers & Y-body balaners are different...I doubt that's your problem.
Still,check pully alignment..See if it's on too far or not enough..
Observe the engine running from underneath..See if the belts have a tendancy to "ride" either the front or the back of the grooves.
Also..did you overdrive your alternator to compensate..You don't want to underdrive your alternator. Not on a modern fuel injected car.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
Here's an interesting tidbit..I found out the hard way that F-body balancers & Y-body balaners are different...I doubt that's your problem.
Still,check pully alignment..See if it's on too far or not enough..
Observe the engine running from underneath..See if the belts have a tendancy to "ride" either the front or the back of the grooves.
Also..did you overdrive your alternator to compensate..You don't want to underdrive your alternator. Not on a modern fuel injected car.

It's definitely the correct pulley, and the belt aligns just fine. I can't imagine one of the 3 things left (Alt, PS, and WP) failing after 40K miles!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

check these links.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15020

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=3&pp=10
Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Much appreciated, but the TSB won't help me I have a vette and the belt system is different, as is the alternator bracket. Thanks though! I'm PM you when my FAST 90 setup comes in.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might be the alternator. Mine squeeeeeeked really bad till I relpaced it. Find a buddy to let you swap out to see if thats it-just so you don't have to buy one if thats not it. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SS!
Might be the alternator. Mine squeeeeeeked really bad till I relpaced it. Find a buddy to let you swap out to see if thats it-just so you don't have to buy one if thats not it. Good luck!

Lol, they're REALLY easy to replace on a C5, I think I'm going to buy one, try it, and see if that solves it. If not, back to autozone
Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Much appreciated, but the TSB won't help me I have a vette and the belt system is different, as is the alternator bracket. Thanks though! I'm PM you when my FAST 90 setup comes in.
Oops, missed that it was a vette.

thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Try retorquing the header exhaust bolts. Trust me from experience that a small amount of looseness will make a squeak noise that sounds like a belt.