Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need ideas to quiet my car down

Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need ideas to quiet my car down

my car is going to Mufflex shortly so I need ideas on how to quiet my car down. My car is a heads/cam Z28 with QTP headers, custom catted-Y, and Corsa exhaust. I drive my car alot so I would like to quiet it down. i'd like my car to be not much quieter than say a stock motor LS1 with a catback. I toiled with the idea of a resonator like a spiral flow in the intermediate pipe, but I don't feel like that would do much to reduce the volume of the car. anyone have any ideas where i can throw an extra muffler in my setup? i was thinking about a magnaflow oval muffler in the intermediate but I don't know if that will fit. what do you guys think? has anyone done anything similar to this? thanks guys
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding another muffler of any kind should quiet it down some. I think a stainless spiral flow would be a good choice.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put in some ear plugs so the rest of us can enjoy it.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwikz28
my car is going to Mufflex shortly so I need ideas on how to quiet my car down. My car is a heads/cam Z28 with QTP headers, custom catted-Y, and Corsa exhaust. I drive my car alot so I would like to quiet it down. i'd like my car to be not much quieter than say a stock motor LS1 with a catback. I toiled with the idea of a resonator like a spiral flow in the intermediate pipe, but I don't feel like that would do much to reduce the volume of the car. anyone have any ideas where i can throw an extra muffler in my setup? i was thinking about a magnaflow oval muffler in the intermediate but I don't know if that will fit. what do you guys think? has anyone done anything similar to this? thanks guys
I also had to quiet my car down to pass inspection. At the time, I had LT's, ORY, and GMMG on my 408 with a big cam and 11:1 comp. It was insanely loud, so I found an entire dual/dual cat back on ebay for $75 and put a catted Y on. It's now so quiet that I can't believe it. It was only 76 dB @ 2500 rpm's when tested at the DMV. It's a real sleeper now.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

When I had my LT1 car with a heads, hotcam, LTs, ORY, and borla catback I put a 16" dynomax bullet in the intermediate pipe and it made a huge difference in exhaust note volume.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

ok so i gathered so far dynomax bullet muffler and slp dual/dual muffler. that would leave me with this:

QTP headers
Catted-Y
Bullet muffler in Intermediate
Slp Catback.

if that doesn't do it I'm selling my car and buying a lexus
Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qwikz28
ok so i gathered so far dynomax bullet muffler and slp dual/dual muffler. that would leave me with this:

QTP headers
Catted-Y
Bullet muffler in Intermediate
Slp Catback.

if that doesn't do it I'm selling my car and buying a lexus
I have Pacesetter Headers, Magnaflow Cats, Custom Y, and STOCK exhaust system out back, but I have an electric-cutout right before the muffler, It's quiet as a Benz (I have sound insulation throughout car) when cutout is off, and loud as **** (basically open headers) when the cutout is open. A difference of 15 HP according to the dyno @ JBA performance between open cutout and closed
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOZR1
I found an entire dual/dual cat back on ebay for $75
You lucky bastard!!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeG
You lucky bastard!!
He wouldn't take $50 for it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trading your corsa for my dual/dual+$150 would quiet it down perfectly
Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

O but seriously. . . .if you are interested in any kind of trade+cash at all send me a pm.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a stock catback on it. Sell Corsa.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOZR1
I also had to quiet my car down to pass inspection. At the time, I had LT's, ORY, and GMMG on my 408 with a big cam and 11:1 comp. It was insanely loud, so I found an entire dual/dual cat back on ebay for $75 and put a catted Y on. It's now so quiet that I can't believe it. It was only 76 dB @ 2500 rpm's when tested at the DMV. It's a real sleeper now.

I just installed a brand new SLP Dual/Dual system...all except the over-axle pipe. I used the Dynomax over-axle pipe. I had TD's before with Sweet Thunder mufflers and talk about extreme differences. I went from insanely loud to insanely quiet. This is with a Pacesetter ORY. I did have a cutout installed in the I-pipe and it sounds amazing when opened. My goal was to quiet it down due to neighbors and the fact that it was hard to enjoy the car with all the racket. But damn, I didn't expect this quiet. I think it might not be any louder than a stock car. It's certainly got the sleeper effect now. It will just take some getting used to. I hope the muffler will get a little louder as it breaks in as some tend to do. Overall, I accomplished my goal...a little too well. Seriously though, the car sounds good and there's always the cutout when I want loud again. Time to get a DMH electric unit .
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

I have a 4 inch mufflex system with Kooks headers and Kooks off road y-pipe, and magnaflow muffler. Loud and sharp. I was lazy and simply installed a car chemistry muffler insert (3 disk street unit) into the intermediate pipe. (simply slips in) Helped a bunch. Haven't done dyno yet with and without it to measure the restriction.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawk108
O but seriously. . . .if you are interested in any kind of trade+cash at all send me a pm.
thanks but no thanks... i know how to get my hands on one

i thought about the stock catback idea but i don't wanna lose the flow because if i did run a cutout, it would be closed more than 99% of the time. the slp is bigger and better flowing than the stocker

Search this Thread